Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 15:23   #31

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Marlborosands, i apologize if I sounded like I was jumping all over you, sometimes the written word fails to convey intent. All I was saying is that practical long distance (2-10 mile) wi-fi from a router and locally available DSL or cable, isn't really there yet.
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 15:49   #32

Boat: Chung hwa Magellan 36' S/V Q-wave
aww not a problem mate. its all good.
cheers
marlborosounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 16:06   #33

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Cheers to you, marlborosounds! I have always liked how sailors are good natured and laid back, like you! It's one of the things that makes sailing/cruising worthwhile!
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 17:13   #34

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
I believe Fleet Broadband & BGAN are current state of art offshore Internet hook ups. Speed according to depth of your pocket (but it better be deep) - see here - Inmarsat Airtime

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 18:01   #35

All is greater than Ex. Life is what we make of it. we can have a pissy fit or move on or Just SMILE, I like to smile and just enjoy. Like a good wind. it moves us along. keeps us happy.
Cheers.

Yes Richardhula,,, they are expensive. tho in a few years it will come down or they will be out of business like the ones before. But if you have to have it for work and your self employed. 1000 a month for a good software designer or engineer to keep working its not that bad since you can write it off as business equip. Sounds like alot at first till your accountant and their creative accounting service is complete.
Cheers.
Old 11-12-2008, 19:08   #36

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
You might note that the Imarsat speeds are measured in kbps with 492 kbps being the maximum speed. This is compared to 802.11b and G with 20 Mbps and 54 Mbps respectively. These services are not what one is used to on their wired broadband connection at home and a far cry from the 100 and 200 Mbps required by the originator of this thread. Once one gets too far off shore there is simply no technology that allows you to communicate at the speed of a hard wired network.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:32   #37

Yes Captain Bill, either way... people can still work from a boat either via satellite or if close enough to shore with what equip is avail to the person/persons. Me I work every day and seem to do alright. I know others can as well if they set their mind to it. The rest is just icing on the cake. Either eat it and be happy or cry in it. Its up to each person.
Cheers and Good Luck
Old 11-12-2008, 19:42   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
maybe in a few years after the Satellite comp's loose some more money that will even come down.
The current commercial demand for bandwidth will keep the cost of satellite based Internet well priced far into the future. Commercial users dominate the market not single users. Don't expect this to change in any time frame remotely related to your life time. The current limits of satellite bandwidth are about maxed out in terms of technology unless someone can come up with some change in the laws of physics.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 19:49   #39

thanks Paul, Yes the Commercial Giants control the price but even now they are all begging for help to get out of debt. So alot of them are slowly closing down. The birds are slowing down and new ones are going up. Prime Corps plus Gov's have the good ones. So it only leaves the birds that are decaying due to age and tech problems. Either Way prices will come down more and more even in our life time. Equipment isnt expensive. You can only invent the wheel once. everything else is a copy and someone in china will sell it for less than what you started. Anyways. its all good and will get better and better. Just take a breath.
Cheers