Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
I'm Walking Away from my Boat

I don't know when I might come back.

Today I've reached my limit. I regret ever having bought this money pit, and I'm disgusted with the shady, unscrupulous, estimate doubling SOB, larcenous contractors in the marine industry.

I'm frustrated and overwhelmed with the sheer volume of work yet to be done and exhausted with the study regimen required to learn all this stuff.

I was so angry with the riggers work today I wanted to go punch him in the mouth so rather than go to jail I'm walking away. I'm leaving the boat on the hard and I'm going to the condo and I might be back in the spring or maybe not.

Please forgive my rant but maybe prospective boat owners and wannabes can learn from this thread what a nightmare it can be. An old boat can wipe you out financially, emotionally, spiritually and physically.

I'm going to walk away. I will start paying more attention to my children, my fiancé, my emotional and physical health and all the really important things I've been neglecting.

My boat was a source of dreams and a promise of adventure and it still is but at the present time it's a liability. I can't survive on dreams alone.

If I had it to do over knowing what I know now, I would buy a boat in much better condition that required less work and was more immediately enjoyable.

Anyone else ever walked away?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44   #2

Boat: Sabre 42
I'm sorry to hear that, and I can understand your frustration.

Did you get to sail the boat? I found that when I get to sail my boat, the work I do on her doesn't seem so painful.

These things are supposed to be fun, if you're not having fun, don't feel bad about moving on.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

I hear ya man, and feel your pain. I am leaning more towards keeping the boat now and finishing what i started. Just breath......
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...highlight=wish
Old 03-11-2012, 09:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I feel for you...I bought a boat once and even after I was told it was a mistake I kept running down my dream until it sank!...I was only 18 yrs old and my idealism was stronger than my intellect so, I spent money until it was all gone and I learned a good lesson (which is where you seem to be at this time) and that lesson was "buy a boat that I could sail on rather than work on"... good luck and "keep on keepin on"...wish you the best, dont give up....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I understand your feelings and your frustration completely. After you have gotten over your negative experiences perhaps come back in a few years and get a boat that is smaller, simpler and most importantly works, so you and the people you care about can have fun with the boat right away.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Give yourself a few days to think about it before making a final decision.

And a couple of tips:

1. Knowing when to cut your losses and move on to something else is one of the rarest and most valuable things in life.

Oh, and the other:

2. What's the most important thing in life? Never, never, ever, ever, never give up.

These two things contradict each other totally, but they are both deeply true. Think about it for a few days before you decide.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46   #7

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

I sometimes have the same about my C-45. everytime Im with her there is more to be done. No body told that me Break Out Another Thousand would sometimes apply several times a day. Every day. But it is getting better, the core is fixed. The hull is almost ready to paint. Systems are coming up and operational. I did feel llike you and took a break. For what I had budgeted for navtronics I bought a 30ft Iroquois Cat and went out and had some fun. Cleared my head and waited for the weather to oll down. The boat is in Marathon. it was just too hot for a while to work. I took a contract in Pa for a break and much needed cash. When I go back every month I am more targeted in what I am doing. And the cooler weather is allowing me to get more done in a week than I was in a month. I do have the advantage of being an ex submariner. So I have probably greater working knowledge of how everything works on a regular boat and the ability to fix. She is back on line to be in the water by february. Take a break make a list and start bottom. Make it float 100 percent, then make it go, then get everything else over time. Ittl get there. Its an old boat you never will be done. It has to be a labor of love. My c-45 time underway is about 4 hours in 11 months. the rest has been at dock or in the yard. The cat goes out every week at least for a day. Step back and go slow and it doesnt have to be perfect it just has to be.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48   #8

Boat: Westsail 28

Hi, to answer your question no I haven't walked away. Although I should have a few times !( But not more than a day or two.) Sounds like maybe you need to take a little time off. But not to long. I've had my boat for over 20 years , when I first got it , it needed a lot of stuff. I got ripped off, I got talked into stuff I haven't used in 20 yrs. I wasted a lot of time and money. Please note we have the same boat. I would like to talk to you David .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:15   #9

"If I had it to do over knowing what I know now, I would buy a boat in much better condition that required less work and was more immediately enjoyable. "

it is a hard lesson to learn, and I have said on this forum many times: "Buy a boat needing the usual minor boat things and work overtime to pay the extra." ....or something like that. Boat projects often destroy families, marriages and the fun of sailing.
Having said that, I dont know your boat... how far away from useable are you? What the heck did the rigger do that was the final straw?
A good break will help put things in perspective. Boat lists are often much longer than they need to be; you read a book, you watch the forum.... pretty soon you think you need every widget out there. Just get that boat in sailable condition and get it inthe water! Some times I think half the crap authors put in books they've never really worked out themselves...
Take a nice break, shorten the list to "must haves". At least your Westsail is something others will value when complete. There are others spending a bunch of time and money on boats nobody will want if they are ever complete.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I've owned several boats. One of them I ended cutting up and and taking to the dump.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I don't know when I might come back.

Today I've reached my limit. I regret ever having bought this money pit, and I'm disgusted with the shady, unscrupulous, estimate doubling SOB, larcenous contractors in the marine industry.

I'm frustrated and overwhelmed with the sheer volume of work yet to be done and exhausted with the study regimen required to learn all this stuff.

I was so angry with the riggers work today I wanted to go punch him in the mouth so rather than go to jail I'm walking away. I'm leaving the boat on the hard and I'm going to the condo and I might be back in the spring or maybe not.

Please forgive my rant but maybe prospective boat owners and wannabes can learn from this thread what a nightmare it can be. An old boat can wipe you out financially, emotionally, spiritually and physically.

I'm going to walk away. I will start paying more attention to my children, my fiancé, my emotional and physical health and all the really important things I've been neglecting.

My boat was a source of dreams and a promise of adventure and it still is but at the present time it's a liability. I can't survive on dreams alone.

If I had it to do over knowing what I know now, I would buy a boat in much better condition that required less work and was more immediately enjoyable.

Anyone else ever walked away?
This is a very touchy situation, so I would do the following:

I would search around and find some local sailors, which have boats like what you have. The boat need not be exactly the same, but close.

Have them look at the boat. See what their impressions are. Sometimes an outside impression can help make a decision one way or another.

Also, you may find someone who is willing to bear some of the sweat. No money help of course, but they may also help steer you away from the shysters in the marine industry.

None of this is easy. People are funny about approaching in this situation.

Maybe some locals here would help. I would, but I'm 12 hours away.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:44   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Oh, I am so sorry. I can just feel your pain and frustration. Don't make any hasty decisions though. Take some time out and get your equilibrium back. Your boat sounds as if it is so close to being in the water. Maybe do the bare minimum and get her launched. You just haven't had any fun sailing her yet and I suspect you will feel very differently after a bit of time on the water. Sending hugs.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have walked w-away from bad deals but not from my home--my boat is my home.
some boats take more than others--some marine repair scam artistes are worse than others--some actually are decent kind souls who do not rape your wallet and even know how to fix stuff without using up the golden goose....
sad to hear you are fed up-- good luck--i hope you havent given up--just going for a rest,as often we must walk away from a problem in order to better understand it ----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04   #14

It isn’t easy to grow a dream. It can be done though. It takes time and energy. Dedication. And possibly, most of all, the joy of watching it grow. If you start on a difficult endeavor and cannot relish some of the small steps, then what will motivate you to take the bigger ones?

A dream isn’t some societal motivation. It isn’t something your parents will stand over you urging you to do. It isn’t something your boss is going to slam you for not doing. Its something you wanted to do. And its something you have to do for yourself.

The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan. So all dreams should start with goals that start with plans. And the plans should start at high levels and then work their way down to the details in every tightening smaller plans. And each plan’s goal should be something you feel warm and happy about getting to.

This is how big things happen. The man who ate the elephant did it one bite at a time. And if you dream big enough, your first goal can really seem like an elephant.

All of our little baby steps have been thrilling. Thrilling to know we’re on the path towards our bigger goal. Once you’re down into those baby steps, sometimes you forget the bigger goals. You have to zoom out occasionally. And this coming week Dani and I are going to be transitioning from some of our first “bigger” goals to the middle goals of the dream.

In the beginning, the dream was to sail around the world. And that started with buying a boat. Then it would become, fix and outfit a boat. And then it would become… Gain confidence and experience sailing your boat. Which is where we’re finally at. We’ve been making in roads learning to race on Wednesdays and the weekends. We’ve been sailing our boat more and more.

Keep your head up. Enjoy the small victories, forget the defeats. And grow your dreams.

Sorry if this is way too sappy. Just had to post it here, as I wrote it after a particularly hard incident at our boat to remind myself of the big picture and to give perspective.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06   #15

Boat: PETERSON 44
What is the fiancée adding to the mix? Does she like sailing or does she put up with it? Can you not rig your own boat? Your knowing enough to be pissed at someone working on your boat. So let us see can you do the job
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote