Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34   #1

Boat: Trident Warrior 35
Does Selling a Yacht on the Hard Put People Off ?

Hey, we are looking at selling our blue water cruising in Florida yet the cost of a slip is fairly expensive so we looking into putting on a dry dock.

Is this likely to put buyers off or is there any disadvantage to selling it on dry dock.

Alternately we would be looking for an affordable slip in a marina east of Orlando, you know of one?

www.crocbones.blogspot.com
crazyhorse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40   #2

Re: Selling a yacht on hard put people off?

Wouldn't put me off. I'd get to look at the hull before making an offer, and the survey would be cheaper.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:47   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Having it on the hard means you'll have to launch it for sea trials, plus many surveyors won't climb the mast to inspect the standing rigging when the boats on the hard. On the other hand, a buyer will want to haul a boat that's in the water for a survey. So one way or the other, a lift is going to be involved.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48   #4

Boat: 33ft sloop

All advantages have their disadvantages. It will not putt me off but the whole thing makes the yacht considerably more expensive.
You cannot check the systems, the sails, the engine and the remaining of the working gear. No one vendor will bring the boat back in the water just for checking if all systems are working correctly. Surprises are even more a real possibility: dried out rubbers, electronics that suddenly have died ....... I would be quite careful.
For a simple hull check just lift the boat up ........
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:53   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I spent about 6 months as a boat broker in Annapolis. The conventional wisdom among the brokers is that it didn't matter- on the hard or in a slip. The slight inconvenience of having to climb a ladder to show the boat was offset by the ability to see the running gear and any blisters.

Every boat sold on the hard was launched for the seatrial so all systems could be checked. The cost to haul and launch was the same whether from the slip or the hard and sometimes the buyer would accept the boat in the water so there was only a one way launch that typically the seller had already paid for. In the winter when the creeks froze we sometimes had to wait 1-2 months to schedule the seatrial but that would be no different if the boat was in a slip or on the hard.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:56   #6

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Does it depend on the boat's price point?

A $10,000 Catalina might not be worth the cost of a haul out, or a launching for a sea trial.

At $500,000, it becomes much more reasonable to expect a haul out, even if it costs a couple of boat units.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 13:10   #7

Boat: Trident Warrior 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I spent about 6 months as a boat broker in Annapolis. The conventional wisdom among the brokers is that it didn't matter- on the hard or in a slip. The slight inconvenience of having to climb a ladder to show the boat was offset by the ability to see the running gear and any blisters.

Every boat sold on the hard was launched for the seatrial so all systems could be checked. The cost to haul and launch was the same whether from the slip or the hard and sometimes the buyer would accept the boat in the water so there was only a one way launch that typically the seller had already paid for. In the winter when the creeks froze we sometimes had to wait 1-2 months to schedule the seatrial but that would be no different if the boat was in a slip or on the hard.

David
Thanks for advice David. If the boat is being sold on a dry dock is there any thing to look out for, such as the boat yard charging a fee for selling the boat at their yard?

www.crocbones.blogspot.com
crazyhorse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 13:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Selling a yacht on hard put people off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
I'd rather view/buy on the hard... one can roll out/hoist sails on the hard for checking... one can run the engine... one can check all electrics... and the hull, thro' hulls, anodes, prop/shaft and rudder... saves a ton of time...
I can then ask for a launch... and buy if she floats fine... as the man says...
Aint costing me any more...
Quite happy to sell afloat...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 13:21   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] one can roll out/hoist sails on the hard for checking... one can run the engine...
You might want to check with the boatyard on this. The yard I use explicitly forbids hoisting sails while on stands.
Old 05-12-2011, 13:22   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The cost of slips once you get north of central FL are about the same as monthly storage on the hard, about $320 and up. You will have to pay for haul-out to get it on the hard and sometimes extra to put it in the storage yard. Depends on the boatyard. The cheapest you can get in this area is behind someone's house in Palm Coast which is between St. Augustine and Daytona, those go for about $150 a month. There is less worry when a boat is on the hard. If it's left in the water you'll need frequent bottom scrubbing.
Old 05-12-2011, 14:06   #11

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse77 View Post
Thanks for advice David. If the boat is being sold on a dry dock is there any thing to look out for, such as the boat yard charging a fee for selling the boat at their yard?
If the boat is being sold by a broker, then he should (if not, you should) check with the yard for any unpaid work and pay it from the proceeds from the sale.

I have never heard of a boatyard charging a fee to sell a boat. Some yards have inhouse brokers and I have heard of them making it difficult for an outside broker to show the boat. In the Annapolis area this practise was very rare or non existent and most brokers cooperated for each others benefit.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:14   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
Does it depend on the boat's price point?

A $10,000 Catalina might not be worth the cost of a haul out, or a launching for a sea trial.

At $500,000, it becomes much more reasonable to expect a haul out, even if it costs a couple of boat units.
Have to disagree here. A $10k Catalina maybe able to haul on a ramp or a hoist but you still want to see if there are any problems with the hull.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:30   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

It really is all about your money. In a slip "looks" nice but you pay if you are selling the boat or using it. If the slip fees are high you'll find "on the hard" gets to be SOP looking at boats in the local area. Buyer pays a haul out if it is in the water. You'll need the reverse so it may involve a little more money for the blocking. If you sold the boat you won't care.

It really comes down to what it will cost you. Friends had a boat at a marina and the broker never sold it. They brought it back to the club and eventually it got sold. The idea was the increased traffic would sell the boat fast - it didn't. You just don't really know how long a boat will be for sale before it sells.

A 35 ft boat fits a lot of people. If you are selling then it should sell at some price. On the hard or in the water probably isn't the biggest part of what you need to do and pay for. Setting the price is what it really is all about and you pay storage until it's sold - period. The asking price now has consequences.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:21   #14

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You might want to check with the boatyard on this. The yard I use explicitly forbids hoisting sails while on stands.
Who in there right mind would hoist a sail while the boat in out of the water???,,, lets see a sudden gust of wind comes up, 20 knots, what happens then????? boat is on the side, try to well it then
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 16:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Selling a yacht on hard put people off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Who in there right mind would hoist a sail while the boat in out of the water???,,, lets see a sudden gust of wind comes up, 20 knots, what happens then????? boat is on the side, try to well it then
Someone who knows to do it when the winds coming from the right direction...
Like... the bow to 45* either side...
if a boat'll fall over that easy in the yard you use...
Change Yards..
Man... I really do wonder sometimes...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard, yacht