Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 12:58   #16

Re: Boat Buying Observations

it IS amazing how much a second look reveals, even without an intense inspection. Seems like the first look you get enamoured by the general arrangement and feel...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 13:46   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I too say test and check everything. I say this both as a buyer and as a selling agent. A boat is a boat and the buyer has every right to know the exact condition of the thing they are buying!

Go ahead and try and test everything. It is just a boat and it may one day be yours.

Buyer beware.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 14:22   #18

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
I'm a hard*ss I guess, but if a broker refuses to operate a system for me, I assume it is inoperable. My offering price, if I make an offer, would deduct the estimated cost to repair or replace that system. I also make this clear to the broker when I make the offer.
I am with you on this. Also with the general caveats about brokers. Yes, there are good ones and I have had experience with some. But brokers generally do not get paid unless a deal goes through and that is true whether he/she is theoretically "working for the seller" or "working for the buyer". Broker relationships are not aligned with the interests of both parties and a problem in our capitalist society that I otherwise support. I would much prefer to use an out of town surveyor who is not dependent on the local brokers and to pay a fee to someone impartial to the economics of the deal to look at the boat. This is hard to do in any community, but possible.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 18:32   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Oh I assure you, they exist. I even had one couple admit that looking at boats was part of their FL vacation and that they had no intention of buying anything. Another guy told me that he liked looking at other boats to give him ideas on how to fix up his own.

SNIP
I have no doubt this is true, but I have to wonder about the number of folks who do things like this. Personally I really do not enjoy looking at boats, it almost seems like a waste of time. Not to mention as a rule it involves some type of trip. A lot of times there have been issues with parking when looking at a boat. Even the best docks are not really fun places and often times there are unpleasant items around related to maintaining boats.

Maybe it is just my background but I also consider the opportunity cost. Instead of looking at a boat I could be spending my time and money more wisely doing something like wine, women, and song.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 18:59   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I have no doubt this is true, but I have to wonder about the number of folks who do things like this. Personally I really do not enjoy looking at boats, it almost seems like a waste of time. Not to mention as a rule it involves some type of trip. A lot of times there have been issues with parking when looking at a boat. Even the best docks are not really fun places and often times there are unpleasant items around related to maintaining boats.

Maybe it is just my background but I also consider the opportunity cost. Instead of looking at a boat I could be spending my time and money more wisely doing something like wine, women, and song.
Was not implying at all that this type is a big part of the business, just that they do exist. In my experience I would break down the people that came into my office, where we sold sailboats, not Sunfish or Hobiecat type boats but cruising size boats.

<1% BSers as described above.
25% daydreamers, never been sailing and never end up buying a boat
35% who have been boating and are really intending to buy a boat but may or may not
30% serious buyers that are long term shopping and will eventually buy a boat
10% that are ready to buy now and are looking for the right boat. Most of these are experienced boaters but maybe 10% of this group have never owned a boat before.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 09:20   #21

Years ago I visited a car lot looking at cars, when I left the salesman gave me a business card with a Bee on it and his phone number. Printed on the card was "You are now a member of the Bee back club"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 23:58   #22

Hi to all at the forum
As a newbie to the forum ( but not a newbie to matters nautical) I agree wholeheartedly with the comments posted. First mate and I have been looking at purchasing a cruiser for our retirement and over the last few years have spent many trips both home (UK) and abroad to look at potential boats.
First impressions, on my part, always count. Always have in your mind what your purchase criteria and budget is. Check all the points listed in the thread ( and more if sufficiently savvy to do so!). Ask questions of the broker and if he/she is reluctant to provide information there is a problem !
Check the price at current market value against the same criteria of other similar spec boats. If the boat appears cheap, in comparison, there is a problem. This could be used to your used to your advantage as a bargaining chip. Do your math and trade off problems against for sale price.
Next stop Spain-after I have done my in depth research and not written a cheque!
Senior Service
Lt Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying