Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2010, 19:44   #241

Boat: Pearson 422 "Island Dream"
Send a message via AIM to CaptPatAg
get rental property. we have some old stuff and it pays a little. i also have a 100 ton masters. when we come home i make a few calls and pick up a job "driving a boat" to fill up the kitty. this is my "encore" and it works for us. right now i am driving a small supply boat helping with the BP oil spill. the cream is that my wife is my deck hand. we are really filling up the kitty and will begin cruising again early next year for at least two years. yea it isn't making money while on the boat but that's when the rent checks help out. p&d "island dream"
CaptPatAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:11   #242

Saw some comments about teaching and real estate, that's all it takes to get me going...since I do a bit of real estate mentoring on line. I'm retired and got out of real estate and finance, but enjoy keeping up by assisting newbies. I don't charge for my advice (and have been asked to, good reasons not to) but many do and it can be very profitable. I'm not suggesting to be a real estate guru (I really dislike those scammers) but if you have or can acquire expertise in a business, consultation or mentoring could be a very good way to go.

My students are not in contact with me 24/7, usually just a few minutes on the phone or some e-mails will do the trick. I saw where someone was doing software consultation, that's a very good venture.

I established a national presence on various real estate sites and one thing led to another. If you have a passion about something others may profit from, providing instruction on the internet is a great way to make a living. Unlike providing instruction in a formal environment with a class and living under a schedule, mentoring can be accomplished on your time, in a series of instructional materials.

I'm no techie, so I have things to learn in order to unplug and get on a boat, but that is my plan as well.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09   #243

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet
Doing it

Since I last posted to this thread, my wife and I have sold our house, cars, etc, and bought a 31-foot boat in Europe which we now live on. Three months into the adventure I can say, so far so good. The two business I now run from the boat have not suffered. Nor has our life style (in our opinions).

Finding *good* WiFi is sometimes challenging. Some commercial operators do not seem to understand the terrestrial side of the technology. They may provide a strong signal but drop packets on their networks. Some of my best links have been hijacked from unsecured wireless routers in apartments overlooking a marina.

But 90% of the time I have internet access adequate to conduct business. Skype is a wonderful tool in this regard. I get unlimited calling to North America for about $3/month and a US phone number that people can call me on for $60/year. This is far less than I was spending ashore even after adding the cost of paid WiFi subscriptions in marinas.

So far, this has worked in Netherlands, Belgium, France, and England. We will see what happens next year when we take our floating office to Eastern Europe.
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:06   #244
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sub, didn't you get the memo? In Belgium you are allowed to steal unsecured WiFi access, but you are also required to leave gift box of chocolates at the apartment's front door, no later than 10PM that night. <VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 08:26   #245
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
With a heavy duty sewing machine and a supply of Sunbrella and thread one can usually make pretty good dough in cruising areas. Approach boats that are in obvious need of new covers and enclosures. Helps to take an upholstery course before you go. Sailmaking is another matter. Better to stick to patching sails or sail bags plus the custom cover stuff.
Old 25-09-2010, 13:00   #246

what about personal land transportation? I am sure as cruisers people sometimes need to go to shore and have to walk a lot, so why not rent out go-peds (small gas scooters). You could buy a few used scooters which fold up to store easly, only cost around $200 a piece, super efficiant on gas, and easy to maintain. Then take a few on shore and put up a little sign that says scooters for rent and rent them out by the hour or day for pretty cheap.
tkdtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 19:27   #247

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtroy View Post
what about personal land transportation? I am sure as cruisers people sometimes need to go to shore and have to walk a lot, so why not rent out go-peds (small gas scooters). You could buy a few used scooters which fold up to store easly, only cost around $200 a piece, super efficiant on gas, and easy to maintain. Then take a few on shore and put up a little sign that says scooters for rent and rent them out by the hour or day for pretty cheap.
Good in theory... But what if, (I hate what ifs) your renter rents your scooter from you, and goes to the nearest bar and ties on a massive load, gets back on your scooter and runs a red light, pulls out in front of a school bus full of kids, the bus driver swerves to avoid hitting your drunk renter, and the bus flips down a ravine killing all the kids.
I know I know very extreme, but what if?
You would need to register as a rental business and obtain an insurance policy to cover such events. The cost of such a policy and business expenses would most likely drive your pretty "cheap rate" up too "not so cheap", maybe a cab would be cheaper.
Mike Vogdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 00:30   #248

Would that truly be needed in another country or in a area like the bahamas? It may not be totally legal but if somethinng happens and the guy takes a fall and scratches up his leg and the police come to you then you say you dont know the laws in that country but you would be happy to supliment the hard working officer's wasted time with a little dinero and you leave that port for your next destination, no harm, no foul. At least that is what I would do.

But that situation you set up for me is the same for all of the other jobs that have been preposed here. Like the t-shirt idea, would if someone is allergic to the fabric you use and they have a reaction to the shirt a couple days later after washing it and die from that reaction because they cant breath or get to a hospital.
tkdtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 01:23   #249
Armchair Bucketeer

The problem with a business like that will be the locals. even if not in the same business plenty enough will still see your operation as unwelcome / taking the piss - after all, if he has to jump through the legal paperwork hoops / local "conventions" (which always come at a cost $$$) why should you get a freebie?

Of course if you go through the formal channels the business becomes a lot less attractive............even before the locals magic away your stock. it's called the freemarket .

On the motorbike rental thing - depending on country / attitude of others, driving the bikes off the road. with punter or competitor on them sends a message. Sounds harsh? depending on local circumstances you'd be an idiot not to - don't want to be seen by other locals as weak.

Going somewhere and spending money is a very different scenario to "taking it from the locals" (even if only perceived that way).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 17:56   #250

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"
Re: Boat-Based Business

Work 30 years in the military, retire and then enjoy life. You can be proud of the service to your country and, even though you won't be rich, you can enjoy a life sailing without too many worries...medical, dental and monthly retirement checks...I do love the USA!
Soldout2sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 17:27   #251

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)
Re: Boat-Based Business

I blog. it provides an income that fluctuates with how much i work. The more I work, the more money I make.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote