Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 16:20   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat

i take a bath and get dressed up to go to Walmart
So you are that one guy!

Walmarts rock! Especially if they have a Boating section. All my docklines are Walmart. I buy craploads of them. When a buddy has a crap one I will toss him a new one still in a bag.

"are you sure?"
"oh yeah. Just buy me a couple a beers at the bar"

Dockline - 5 bucks
2 beers - 10 bucks
Old 10-12-2011, 23:09   #242
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Well said. Silly old me, I too have apparently mistaken this for a sailng forum.
It seems silly the rest of us too...

This is a Cruisers Forum. Cruisers talk about lots of stuff, politics included...and included in this thread too. In fact "Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole" kinda begs political responses, doesn't it? We count no less than 20 posts in this thread by 11 different members that were directly on Australian politics...and probably at least that many again about comparative global politics.

The OP started what certainly kicked off many interesting streams of comments, all revolving directly and indirectly around how and why things cost as much as they do. We copped often personal ("cheap", "myopic", "simple", "two-faced") criticism for expressing what we thought were reasoned remarks well within the thread.

We're more than happy to leave politics rather than continue to cop insults, but not because we agree politics do not belong on CF or this thread. A better view of what belongs here might be to contirbute in good faith and, importantly, take (and respect) each post as an expression of another's opinion.
Each to their own.
Old 10-12-2011, 23:29   #243
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
This is a Cruisers Forum. Cruisers talk about lots of stuff, politics included...and included in this thread too. In fact "Australia is such an overpriced sh**hole" kinda begs political responses, doesn't it? We count no less than 20 posts in this thread by 11 different members that were directly on Australian politics...and probably at least that many again about comparative global politics.

Just a quick, off-topic note about the rules:

Quote:
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
We, the monsteratotors, have some experience in predicting which threads will become disruptive due to the high feelings associated (and I'm not sure why anchors is not listed here... perhaps they fall under 'religion'? )

When it comes to finance, compare the following:
1 - "when VAT increased to 20%, the price of boats went up" (plain fact)
2 - "if those stupid politicians paid their own expenses, then we wouldn't need to pay so much VAT" (opinion, and trolling for response)

So long as members keep to the facts, a thread normally remains OK. Of course politics is pertinent to the price of diesel. Political opinions usually aren't!
Old 11-12-2011, 16:56   #244
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

This thread makes me feel much better about my plan to buy my boat in Cali, do the milk run and sell the boat in OZ or NZ.
Old 11-12-2011, 17:04   #245

Boat: Able 50

Careful now. There are no Walmarts in OZ.
Old 11-12-2011, 18:04   #246

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Careful now. There are no Walmarts in OZ.
That might be to our benefit, dont you think,

I get emails with piccys of the people who shop at Walmart.
Old 11-12-2011, 18:54   #247
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I get emails with piccys of the people who shop at Walmart.
So do we all probably, but AllezCat couldn't possibly be one of those in the pics...surely not...
Old 11-12-2011, 23:24   #248

Quote:
So do we all probably, but AllezCat couldn't possibly be one of those in the pics...surely not...
I assume they look like the people in the audience for the Jerry Springer show
Old 12-12-2011, 05:17   #249

Quote:
Love Walmart - just picked up my new 200$ washing machine - lots of cute girls and the local cool guys sporting the latest mullet fashions!!
But, no different to the bogans around Frankston, Victoria - (my brother calls it Frankistan)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:13   #250
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

On 23 November 2011, Ampon Tangnoppakul, also known as Uncle SMS, was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment by Bangkok's Criminal Court for insulting the monarchy.
SEAPA Alert: Thai citizen sentenced to twenty years for lese majeste text messages

A Thai court on Thursday sentenced a U.S. citizen (Joe Gordon) to two and a half years in prison for insulting King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the latest case in the government’s crackdown on criticism of the monarchy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/wo...thai-king.html

An Australian writer (Harry Nicolaides) was sentenced Monday to three years in prison for insulting Thailand's royal family in his novel, a rare conviction of a foreigner amid a crackdown on people and Web sites deemed critical of the monarchy.
Australian Writer Sentenced 3 Years For Insulting Thai Monarch | Fox News

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
On 23 November 2011, Ampon Tangnoppakul, also known as Uncle SMS, was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment by Bangkok's Criminal Court for insulting the monarchy.
SEAPA Alert: Thai citizen sentenced to twenty years for lese majeste text messages

A Thai court on Thursday sentenced a U.S. citizen (Joe Gordon) to two and a half years in prison for insulting King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the latest case in the government’s crackdown on criticism of the monarchy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/wo...thai-king.html

An Australian writer (Harry Nicolaides) was sentenced Monday to three years in prison for insulting Thailand's royal family in his novel, a rare conviction of a foreigner amid a crackdown on people and Web sites deemed critical of the monarchy.
Australian Writer Sentenced 3 Years For Insulting Thai Monarch | Fox News
Thailand is a great place to cruise with wonderful anchorages, low cost and friendly people. There are many good marinas. (on-sailing-topic-part-done)

Many long time expat observers belive that the very strong love of the king and family holds the lid on the political cauldron. There are many examples where the king has nudged things back on track. Some observeres predict a lot of bad things when the king ultimately passes.

Thai politics are pretty spirited. That they have penalties that seem draconian to the west for criticising the king seems unreasonable to us. Like I said political protesting is quite common in Thailand.

Bottom line is do a little research on local law and customs. If you can't resist criticizing the Thai king don't visit. If you can't resist carrying drugs on board don't visit Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines (to a lesser degree).

OTOH if you feel the passion to be an activist and try to change these Asian cultures, give it a go and let us know how it turns out for you...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Thailand is a great place to cruise with wonderful anchorages, low cost and friendly people. There are many good marinas. (on-sailing-topic-part-done)

Many long time expat observers belive that the very strong love of the king and family holds the lid on the political cauldron. There are many examples where the king has nudged things back on track. Some observeres predict a lot of bad things when the king ultimately passes.

Thai politics are pretty spirited. That they have penalties that seem draconian to the west for criticising the king seems unreasonable to us. Like I said political protesting is quite common in Thailand.

Bottom line is do a little research on local law and customs. If you can't resist criticizing the Thai king don't visit. If you can't resist carrying drugs on board don't visit Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines (to a lesser degree).

OTOH if you feel the passion to be an activist and try to change these Asian cultures, give it a go and let us know how it turns out for you...
well said totally agree.
don't get drunk and eat the food at Buddhist "shrines" don't pee on same.
not taken so well
i.e have respect

Do stand up for the national anthem in movie theaters in Thailand.
perhaps same at an american ball-game during the national anthem?

Don't disrespect bankers and politicians in america - unless you like mace (liquid and timber versions)...
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35   #253
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Thai politics are pretty spirited.
And WWII was a bit of difficulty with Jerry

FWIW me Missus went out on the demos back in 91 (92?) - I forget whether that was 3 or 4 coups ago ..........she went partly because she was young (21) and stupid , and had some vague idea about defending Thailand and Democracy..........but also simply because she liked a ruck Tanks on the street being a mere detail

That was a "peaceful" attempted coup (in truth probably succeeded at least 50%), at least that was how it got reported, including in the Western press........But a surprising amount of people died later......Govt Death Squads not a new thing back then. and last I heard not part of the history books either. But they be "our" freinds, so not a problem

After that she was never political and shrugged her shoulders at subsequent events, but still got upset / angry that although the "right side" won business simply continued as normal (shafting the peasantry).......IMO a lot of problems in the Land of Smiles ready to blow when the King shuffles off to meet Buddha, particularly that the peasantry now has ideas above their (traditional) station in life - as well as the usual competing interests within the "elite".

Yeah, Thai politics are a bit spirited
Old 12-12-2011, 15:42   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
don't get drunk and eat the food at Buddhist "shrines" don't pee on same. not taken so well i.e have respect. Do stand up for the national anthem in movie theaters in Thailand...perhaps same at an american ball-game...
Quote:
Bottom line is do a little research on local law and customs. *If you can't resist criticizing the Thai king don't visit. *If you can't resist carrying drugs on board don't visit Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines (to a lesser degree).
Seems Ex-Calif and Allezcat continue to see the draconian laws of Thailand entirely from a visitor's perspective - as evidenced in the above quotes.

Both continue to conveniently ignored the fact that Thai citizens exercising what ought to be the fundamental right of free expression, like the one mentioned above by Gordmay where a 61yo grandfather was jailed for 20 years for "insulting" the monarchy in an SMS, plus innumerable other examples, are the the most common victims of these laws.

Allezcat also attempts to muddy the waters by references to peeing on temples etc; and suggesting that you'd also get twenty years in the USA for not standing up at a ball game. The first has nothing to do with the issue; the second is of course plain wrong.

I'm sure most posters would have felt sympathy for people like Dmitri Shostakovich and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and all the others who were subjected to similar, albeit worse, draconian penalties under Stalin et al. Not to mention the millions of millions of victims of other totalitarian regimes in recent history, like in nearby Cambodia.

What I'd hope is that the two posters I mention would at least develop some sympathy for the Thai people, rather than just admire their smiles. And, in particular, for those Thais who are taking personal risks in seeking to bring to Thailand the same fundamental human rights that we all currently enjoy.
Old 12-12-2011, 16:00   #255

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Totally agree with your comment and am amazed that some people ^^^ cant seem to get this reality through their heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Bottom line is do a little research on local law and customs. *If you can't resist criticizing the Thai king don't visit. *If you can't resist carrying drugs on board don't visit Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines (to a lesser degree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat
don't get drunk and eat the food at Buddhist "shrines" don't pee on same. not taken so well i.e have respect. Do stand up for the national anthem in movie theaters in Thailand...perhaps same at an american ball-game...
At Sea, it matters not what YOU think is reasonable and a right
The country has laws, and those laws must be obeyed or suffer the consequences, same as anywhere.

Why is that simple concept so difficult for you to understand?
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia