Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 06:24   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Wanted: Monica windlass (s) for parts

I have a beautiful 1979(+/-) Monica 1000 horizontal windlass I have fully rebuilt it and have been Very impressed with the overall machining and construction quality.
But...
Parts are not available. So I’d like to buy a few older dead ones to dismantle for parts. I prefer fixing vs replacing, and I have plenty of storage at home to keep future bits and pieces.
If you have one sitting collecting dust, PM me
JimClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	164824
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 07:14   #2

Re: Wanted: Monica windlass (s) for parts

Its been over a year, thought maybe it was time to bump this up. I am still looking for a spare windlass. It is a "Monica Marine" though most have no markings. I would be interested in any condition (parts missing even)
thanks
Jim
Old 17-07-2019, 14:45   #3

Anybody?
Old 31-10-2019, 12:47   #4

Sorry, my Monica Marine, model 1000 is still working however she growls a bit and may need some gear oil?

I'm looking under old paint layers for access screws? Found Allen screws, one on top of molded cleat and another on the front? Neither wants to budge.

I'm admiring what you've done with yours... Any advise? I've always been happy with mine from 1976.
JBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 20:00   #5

It cannot be saved! Sell it to me for parts.
Just kidding. those two plugs will come out although the top one on mine had no threads left by the time it was removed. For a quick look at the insides, remove the windlass from the boat and put it on a workbench. Take the motor off, oil should be above this level so do not do this on deck. This will expose the innards and you will be able to drain the oil from here and clean a lot of the sludge off the bottom. A full dismantling may be required if the Sprague clutches have broken springs. I replaced the springs in mine at a transmission shop for a cup of coffee. I also had new friction disks made and can share that info if you need it.
Old 31-10-2019, 20:56   #6

Gee, thanks. Yes. you're right, the bottom screw finally budged. The top did not, so tomorrow an EasyOut tool? I'll re-tap it if I must. I'm not pulling it off the boat to fix it if it ain't broke. I've got plenty of things which are broke to worry about. I do admire your thourouness though.

Thanks also for your picture which helped me locate the painted screws. You may hear from me again.
JBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JBaldwin.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaldwin View Post
Gee, thanks. Yes. you're right, the bottom screw finally budged. The top did not, so tomorrow an EasyOut tool? I'll re-tap it if I must. I'm not pulling it off the boat to fix it if it ain't broke. I've got plenty of things which are broke to worry about. I do admire your thourouness though.

Thanks also for your picture which helped me locate the painted screws. You may hear from me again.
Anytime. an easy out should do it,jst make sure to use as big an easy out as practical. The threads might come out with the plug.
And yes, welcome aboard.

Tags
parts, wanted, wind, windlass