Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 09:14   #1

Boat: Panda 40
Wanted: Liferaft - Offshore, 4 or 6 person, U.S.

I'm looking for a 4-6 person offshore liferaft. Expired or not doesn't matter as long as price reflects status and it is capable of being recertified. I'm located in San Diego so any U.S. location would work for shipment. I'd prefer a valaise version. Thanks.
shaneinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:23   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Wanted: Liferaft - Offshore, 4 or 6 person, U.S.

If you think you might need a life raft, stay home. Best to prepare yourself and boat so you don't need one.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:42   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
If you think you might need a life raft, stay home. Best to prepare yourself and boat so you don't need one.

Seriously?

Ships carry life rafts to protect from the unknown.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:05   #4

Not this debate again.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:00   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Not this debate again.

You brought it up.

I do not have a life raft at the moment. Sailing the Gulf of Mexico and western Caribbean a dinghy will suffice ( traffic is sufficient). however in the endless expanses of non-commercial ocean, while not required, I would prefer to sit in a small covered life raft than a small open dinghy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:27   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:

Really? Really? My vote for the most dubious logic of 2018 so far. Of course you should prepare yourself and your boat as best you can, but that in no way means you don't need a life raft if you're going offshore. Sure, if you're just coastal day sailor, with the Coast Guard nearby to rescue you, then by all means skip the life raft...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:31   #7

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Just curious kmacdonald... how many blue water miles do you have? On your own boat. And not coastal or just an overnight. Have you crossed the Atlantic? (we have) Have you crossed the Pacific? (we have) Indian Ocean maybe? (yep... we have)

If you have, then great! If not... you have no clue.

Personally... we have over 50k miles under our keel and though we have never had to deploy our life raft, it does sit pretty in it's cradle ready to go just in case. You said "prepare yourself and boat" above. Well... we have,

The Darwin list of "stupid decisions" is not going to have our name on it. (Just our lowly little opinion) Thanks for the Friday giggles!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:11   #8

Boat: GibSea 472

Life raft and an Epirb, in good order are mandatory in my opinion if you navigate offshore. This no not preclude the fact that your boat shall be well founded, on the contrary. Being ready for offshore voyaging implies that you consider many unpredictable things could happed, from a brutal storm, lightenings, not counting large objects like submerged containers or tree trunks, and breakdown of the boat ...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:19   #9

I guess some people need a safety net "just in case" their boat, judgement, or own skills fail them. There is nothing wrong with that. Sailmonkey seems to have hit a happy medium in post #5.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:45   #10

If you're going far offshore, bringing a liferaft is part of "preparing yourself and your boat."
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:46   #11

I just went to get my life raft checked. I never met Privious owner so had no clue what year it was. I popped it open it inflated rapidly. But wasn't holding air. Very light leak. It had flares,oars,and a flash light. I took it to Life Line in north Miami. It was a 2003. Estimate to re certify $850. Warranty and certification valid only one year. Bought a brand new revere 6 person coastal comender. $1,300. Just sharing information. Good luck with your choices
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:47   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have a 4-person Avon re-packed last in Dec 2012. I'll send PM.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:40   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I'm a big supporter of buying used but not for a life raft or emergency equipment in general. If you need to use them the cost of failure is just too high.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneinseattle View Post
I'm looking for a 4-6 person offshore liferaft. Expired or not doesn't matter as long as price reflects status and it is capable of being recertified. I'm located in San Diego so any U.S. location would work for shipment. I'd prefer a valaise version. Thanks.
I have a Revere 4 man Offshore Ocean,(Heavy Duty Offshore raft, not the Coastal version) cert. was due in 2016. Never stored outside; will sell for $700 plus freight from Daytona Beach. Dave, 904-806-2389.
dhuff1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 15:01   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneinseattle View Post
If you don't find a used one, the Viking RescYou Pro liferafts are one of the best values in a new raft, and will be what we buy when our Winslow no longer certifies... [Per the commercial company that repacked our Winslow: I asked what should I replace it with when the time comes; Viking RescYou Pro. And no, they don't sell Viking rafts, but they do sell many other name brands...]

if you are interested, there are more details and links to additional resources in this liferaft page we maintain [mainly for our own use...]

Best wishes finding what you need.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
liferaft, offshore, wanted