Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2024, 00:41   #16

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Re: Small Kiwiprop 3-blade

• If you are sailing and wish to engage autorotation to regenerate - then simply engaging reverse on the motor will push the blades to the reverse position where they will stay engaged as the generated propeller torque is greater than the spring torque as long as sailing speeds are maintained. This speed will be dependent upon blade size / shaft angle / sailing speed but typically the unit would stay in autorotation above about 1 knot.
  • To remove the autorotation - simply engage Ahead - then idle - then neutral and the blades will return to the feathered position.

This has not worked with our KP.
Putting it in reverse jams the control mechanism and it is difficult to put it in forward again. ( Engine stopped) if you put it in forward as John describes ours will auto rotate downwind at speeds over 7knts and any slewing. Currently use vice grips to stop (sketchy) and are fabricating a brake. KP spring tension was setup by John.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 10:06   #17

Boat: Spirited 380 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
ToddTime, you are addressing a question to a member that hasn't logged in since the last time he post above, 5yr ago.
Sorry about that, and thanks. I forgot to check, but it looks like I got my answer anyways, thanks lateral, I'm curious if you've contacted Kiwiprop about these issues since they seem to have dozens of electric drive installs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
This has not worked with our KP.
Putting it in reverse jams the control mechanism and it is difficult to put it in forward again. ( Engine stopped) if you put it in forward as John describes ours will auto rotate downwind at speeds over 7knts and any slewing. Currently use vice grips to stop (sketchy) and are fabricating a brake. KP spring tension was setup by John.
toddtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 12:40   #18

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I can’t comment on any of the electric installs using KP. The above only applies to my KP on yanmar diesel with kanzaki gearbox. I know other people with same setup and their experience is similar. I am happy with my KP except for the auto rotate. ( And 0.5knt~ loss of top speed) Angle of prop shaft to water flow is significant on Patiki’s.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 19:03   #19

Boat: Spirited 380 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
I can’t comment on any of the electric installs using KP. The above only applies to my KP on yanmar diesel with kanzaki gearbox. I know other people with same setup and their experience is similar. I am happy with my KP except for the auto rotate. ( And 0.5knt~ loss of top speed) Angle of prop shaft to water flow is significant on Patiki’s.
That makes more sense, I was a little confused by what you wrote. Bummer they don’t seem to work properly with your setup, I’ve got a pair on saildrive equipped Volvo D1-20s and have never had anything like you’re describing.
toddtimes is offline   Reply With Quote