Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2022, 15:00   #1

Simpson Lawrence Windlass

Hello, I am searching for another windlass of the same make and model to replace some parts on mine. Windlass it's self is in good working order, but the gypsy and shaft are old and worn. The windlass is obsolete, so any information on where I could obtain another or parts would be great help. Thanks in advance.

Windlass: Simpson Lawrence Sealion 526 Electric.
Ferro Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 18:06   #2

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38
Re: Simpson Lawrence Windlass

Looked for info on the Sealion but couldn't find any pictures so I'm not sure what it is. I have a vertical chain/rode gypsy model that's old enough to be chromed bronze if that helps? It was on a sport fishing boat and so wasn't used much. Works fine, came apart easily with plenty of good grease still inside. It is clean, motor looks and sounds good, though the bearing seals are flaking and so should probably be replaced. I have some of the electrics. I can check the model when I go to the yard next time if it's of interest. (might be an Atlantic) I was going to use it but the motor hangs too low for my oddball anchor mount.
Mexican Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:24   #3

Hello Mexican Hat. Your description sounds like a close match. I can send you the maintenance manual that I have in pdf format. If it is the same, I would also be interested in the measurements of the gypsy, which can be found on the gypsy itself, between one of the teeth. It would look something like BB 75.
Thanks.

PDF: http://www.slspares.co.uk/instruction-manuals-pdf.php

Scroll down until you find Sealion 526.
Old 02-04-2022, 17:38   #4

I'll look at the pdf and in the meantime here are pictures of the gypsy. It is marked as a 172. Did look at a couple of pages online, pretty sure this one is either an Anchorman or an Atlantic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220402_120702994_HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	255386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220402_120729094.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	255387  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220402_120552531.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	255388  
Old 02-04-2022, 17:40   #5

Looked at the manual, the sealion is a totally different beast so unlikely anything will fit. Good luck in the search.
Old 02-04-2022, 20:23   #6

Yup definitely wont work out. I appreciate the help though.
Old 09-04-2022, 18:22   #7
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Try John at slsspares.co.uk
He is vey knowledgeable having worked for Simpson Lawrence and deals in spare parts from old stock. He was able to provide a new gypsy for my SL Horizon 1500. Even though he is in the UK he can provide quick turn around at competitive pricing.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 07:29   #8

TML,

Thanks for the help, unfortunately he does not have anything. I will keep looking.
Old 20-04-2022, 07:49   #9

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

If John can't help you may be out of luck. He is the go to resource re an old SL windlass ... he was great help to me with our previous boat. Only other source from my knowledge is a company on the Chesapeake ... P2 Marine near Annapolis. I was looking about 4 years ago for parts for my Sprint Atlantic.
https://www.p2marine.com/simpson-lawrence
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 17:25   #10

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferro Angel View Post
Hello, I am searching for another windlass of the same make and model to replace some parts on mine. Windlass it's self is in good working order, but the gypsy and shaft are old and worn. The windlass is obsolete, so any information on where I could obtain another or parts would be great help. Thanks in advance.

Windlass: Simpson Lawrence Sealion 526 Electric.
I have in my garage a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 electric windlass. I pulled it from my boat a couple of years ago. I was having issues with the motor. Not sure how close the two units are. When I get home I will look and see if I still have the manual.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:02   #11

Desodave,

Thanks for the link, I looked through but could not find anything and I am still waiting for a reply from my email, but I don't think it will pan out.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:15   #12

SailtheWind,

I appreciate the offer, but it wont work. The windlasses are quite different and I am trying to avoid making any holes on the boat as I will have to deal with the ferro cement and a steel plate. Thanks anyway.

PDF manuel for your Horizon 1500: https://www.p2marine.com/documents/s...rizon-1500.pdf
Old 09-01-2024, 08:03   #13

Boat: Moody 34

I also have a SL Seawolf 520 with a motor that is currently not working. I just bought the boat so I don't really know the history, but from what I gather, they seem a little underpowered. I'm curious to know more about suitable replacement windlasses. I'm not finding much about them, online. It's one they no longer manufacture and parts are hard to find. I'm going to be calling a bunch of boating supply shops today.(Im currently in Annapolis) I'll let you know what I find out.
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:15   #14

Star Fire,

Thanks for the effort. We have managed to find a spare gypsy but thats about it. Indeed they are no longer manufacturing these windlasses any more.

In our case, the windlass is perfectly fine, she's just old and needes a couple of spare parts in hand just in case.

I'm unfamilier with your model, but I did some quick digging around and found
a forum post, maybe you can find something of use here,

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...lass-9645.html

They mention a website; Simpson Lawerence Yatch Parts and Spares. I took a peak at the site and found your windlass.
Not sure if you can find the parts your looking for or if your up to having it rebuilt. If your motor is the only, or main problem, maybe you don't have to hunt for an entire new windlass . . . .
Old 09-01-2024, 13:19   #15

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

John at SLSPARES is very helpful and understands if parts are interchangeable. I got my parts from him in about a week ... to the west coast of Canada. I understand that he was working at SL when they closed, and bought up most of their parts inventory. P2 Marine is near you and also has some SL parts, but were more expensive and had less stock than SLSPARES when I was looking for them.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, simpson lawrence, wind, windlass