Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Is this type of post relevent in this forum or not?
yes 5 26.32%
no 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2022, 10:32   #16

Boat: Four Winns V435
Re: Original oil painting - Glorious America's Cup 1980 - Franco Costa

It all smells a bit fishy 🐟
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 14:38   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Anything is worth the amount it can be sold for regardless of what an expert says it is worth. I believe the lack of response to your price should send you a message. Find a large venue with a fair amount of art traffic then drop the price a thousand every two weeks until it sells. You will have established it’s worth and gotten a fair market value for it. Personally it is not attractive to me so I wouldn’t give you 20 bucks but hey if everybody liked the same thing one part of the world would be very crowded.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 17:23   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Asking price: $25.000

That’s 25 dollars NOT $25,000.or put another way NOT 25k.

Adding zeros after the ( .)Decimal point is adding fractions

I am out at 25$ or 25k sorry I am unimpressed with the illustration.

#
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 17:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Asking price: $25.000

That’s 25 dollars NOT $25,000.or put another way NOT 25k.

Adding zeros after the ( .)Decimal point is adding fractions

I am out at 25$ or 25k sorry I am unimpressed with the illustration.

#
Well, to most of the world it is the other way round, the dot separates thousands groupings and the comma separates the fractions

And according to International Bureau of Weights and Measures neither is correct, thousands groupings should be separated with a space, that way there is no confusion over the radix used for fractions.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 17:46   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
Well, to most of the world it is the other way round, the dot separates thousands groupings and the comma separates the fractions

And according to International Bureau of Weights and Measures neither is correct, thousands groupings should be separated with a space, that way there is no confusion over the radix used for fractions.
Hmm... fractions are fractions and decimals are decimals. I don't know of anywhere that mixes the two in one quantity.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 19:13   #21

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post

Hey Pippa, I’m in the US, the OP did not specify another currency so until then it’s US dollars…. for me. In weight, in the USA, the decimal separates a whole from a fraction, so it would be 25.000 pounds in the US ,same as the currency.
In the USA a grift ( a plot to extract money from unsuspecting or situationally gullible)can be recognized from foreign entities with some tells, these are incorrect spellings, incorrect monetary amounts, odd fonts, and non descript OPs no location, no boat, no post history, these are all indicators. I have become an expert at this over the past couple of years because of the shear volume of BS I have encountered.
My gut says the same about the OP
Thanks Pippa
Cheers from NY.

Fun fact: The US dollar is the most widely used currency in international transactions (Wikipedia)
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 19:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... fractions are fractions and decimals are decimals. I don't know of anywhere that mixes the two in one quantity.
OK, he should have said "fractional part" to be precise, but "fraction" is commonly understood to mean the "fractional part" when talking about decimal notation (as in the Frac() function common in many programming languages). If you want to get technical, call it the "mantissa"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 19:55   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Hey Pippa, I’m in the US, the OP did not specify another currency so until then it’s US dollars…. for me. In weight, in the USA, the decimal separates a whole from a fraction, so it would be 25.000 pounds in the US ,same as the currency.
The OP said "My father, who was a personal friend of Franco Costa, bought it from him in the mid-80s,"

Since the painter was Italian, it's a fair inference that the OP's father and the OP are also Italian. The thousands separator used iin Italy is the comma, regardless of the currency in question.

But anyhoo, Manateeman has identified the going price for the artists works ( in the hundreds of dollars range) and given the OP's claim about how much he researched and the authorities he quotes (Post 7), he surely must know that his asking price is so ridiculously high that the word "scam" comes to mind.
Old 14-07-2022, 20:07   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The thousands separator used iin Italy is the comma, regardless of the currency in question.

StuM, I’d double check that.
Old 14-07-2022, 20:12   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
........ If you want to get technical, call it the "mantissa"
I luv it when you talk dirty ... but I haven't (yet) fallen for handing over 25 boat bucks to a stranger in interwebby, even if it is a fellow salty CF crew mate.

Pretty sure the thread has established what price is too high for this artwork and it is unlikely to determine an actual valve until a sale is made.

FWIW, I am not expecting to the "SOLD" prefix on the thread anytime soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 20:27   #26

Boat: Grampian 30

Interesting post regarding the 'tells' of a con... would another be describing the piece in question incorrectly?

The post describes this as an acrylic oil painting... but they are two different mediums. Acrylic is water based, and oil paint is made from, well, oils, and combined with a medium like a fat or synthetic... and a pigment of course.

With only the sideways picture to inspect, my impression is that it is acrylic. Sharp lines, thick texture likely done with a palette knife, and no apparent yellowing, although it's not really old enough to have yellowed yet if it were done in oil unless exposed to a lot of uv.

But hey Daniel, I don't think you're trying to pass off a fake, I'm just grinding your winch like everyone else for a bit of fun. I like the painting and would buy it, but not for anywhere close to what you are asking.

I will offer you $1000 for it. This is not a low ball offer or intended as an insult. I'm serious and will go through with the transaction if you are serious about selling. PM me if you want to discuss how we make that happen. This will likely be an escrow arrangement, until we are both satisfied we are getting what we expect.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 22:01   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
StuM, I’d double check that.
Damn. I meant to say period. My comment about the price being ridiculously high doesn't make sense with "comma" there
Old 14-07-2022, 22:14   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
The post describes this as an acrylic oil painting... but they are two different mediums. Acrylic is water based, and oil paint is made from, well, oils, and combined with a medium like a fat or synthetic... and a pigment of course..
You might like to google "oil over acrylic"
Old 16-07-2022, 05:17   #29

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Just a personal opinion. Given the auction results I found, the offer of $ 1,000 would not be unreasonable. I think it is a very fair offer.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, paint