Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 17:48   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Who here would solo around the world non stop on their own boat?

“You do not ask a tame seagull why it needs to disappear from time to time toward the open sea. It goes, that's all.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebound View Post
+ Yeah, but does the seagull ever come back?
Cappy, if it didn't ever come back, how could one notice it continuing to disappear toward the open sea from time to time?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 06:11   #32

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Wonder what happened to that guy a couple of years ago on here who was going to do a non-stop so he could be [drumroll please] the first from his country to do so? He mentioned he was in the Med but wouldn't say which country. Guess he worried some North African CFer would rush out to beat him to it. There's a worry I don't share.

I'm guessing he's a Muslim so it's unlikely he was drunk.

interesting, i may have i met this guy in panama...or rather i met a younger guy from czechoslovakia that stated he was attempting to be the first from his country to sail solo around the world...
i'm curious what defines "non-stop".. i dont think this guy ever left his boat.

good guy. gave some valuable pointers about anchoring to a very green sailor(hi!) attempting to learn his boat.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:13   #33

Might have considered it in my younger days. These days my girlfriend occasionally drags me on charters around the world where we have the advantage of a local crew with local knowledge. I remember meeting a Captain who had sailed his boat to the Maldives where we were going to charter. He said what are you going there for? He had sailed there and found it was the most boring place on earth and could not wait to sail on. While we had such a great time we went back a second time that was just as enjoyable as our first trip. On the other hand we've been to some places in the South Pacific where I don't feel I have missed anything by not sailing my boat there. Then there are other places I'm planning to return to in the next few years with my boat and spend some more time just hanging out. Though I must admit I do have a desire to head out of sight of land for an extended period of time. Though the idea of getting beat up along with the boat on a long solo passage has less appeal as I get older.
Old 14-06-2014, 04:10   #34

pirate Re: Who here would solo around the world non stop on their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
interesting, i may have i met this guy in panama...or rather i met a younger guy from czechoslovakia that stated he was attempting to be the first from his country to sail solo around the world...
i'm curious what defines "non-stop".. i dont think this guy ever left his boat.

good guy. gave some valuable pointers about anchoring to a very green sailor(hi!) attempting to learn his boat.
I'd sure like to think that some of these guys posting here do follow through on their grand schemes. Gots to wonder why anyone would care about being the first of any nationality though now that circums are all but routine. Who's keeping track? Or ... not to put too fine a point on it, who cares?
Old 14-06-2014, 04:37   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I enjoy solo sailing but...
No boat..
No incentive..
However.. if someone wants a boat delivered from Horta to Horta via the 3 Capes...
5 capes boatie, five capes.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 04:42   #36

pirate Re: Who here would Solo Around the World non stop on their own Boat?

I'm not doing it so just lips flappin in the breeze here but I think the real deal is being a capes crusader, well out of the tradewinds.

Geaux Boaty Geaux!
Old 14-06-2014, 04:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I love to meeet the circumnavigators that stop in here.

"Planning to spend a year or so in Asia and get to know the place?"

"No thanks. Gotta get to Thailand by Tuesday, India by Friday, Africa by next week. Anyway we stopped in Indonesia on the way over so we've seeen Asia."

I totally get the "merit badge" earners who do this for personal achievement reasons. Different strokes and all that. Just don't make the mistake of saying you are an Asia expert.

If I live long enough and healthy enough my last 15-20 years will be truly exploring Asia and the South Pacific.

Reminds me of when I tied up in Albany NY on the way to Canada via the Erie Canal. A bunch of Doctors on a power boat were on the return leg of the Great Circle route. I asked one of them how long is it taken you. He said nine days. Nine days I said what where did you stop? He said we only stopped to fuel up. Seems their schedule was dictated by their work schedule.
Old 14-06-2014, 05:05   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Who here would solo around the world non stop on their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
5 capes boatie, five capes.
Flock.. ya sayin I gotta do the other two again...
And I count 4.. Tasi's an Island.. to small to qualify as a Cape..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 05:51   #39

Re: Who here would Solo Around the World non stop on their own Boat?

Oh for $%^&'s sake Boatie and ya call yaself a seaman or some type of sea going dude.

The only possible non-stop circumnavigation departing from Horta must pass south of Cape of Good Hope, Cape Leeuwin, South East Cape, South West Cape and Cape Horn.

I could be pushed to swap out Cape of Good Hope for Cape Agulhas but nevertheless, it's remains a total of 5 (five).

Easy way to remember them is to count them off with the fingers of your left hand. Left hand because most (but not all) non-stop circumnavigators (solo or not) hold them on the port hand.

Call me if you need a navigator for future endeavours...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-06-2014, 14:55   #40

You guys can argue and nit pick all ya want, the one Cape that matters, Cape Horn, is the sine qua non of a circumnavigation. When modern heros like the Bumfuchels do that, I'll buy their books.

Old 14-06-2014, 15:44   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh for $%^&'s sake Boatie and ya call yaself a seaman or some type of sea going dude.

The only possible non-stop circumnavigation departing from Horta must pass south of Cape of Good Hope, Cape Leeuwin, South East Cape, South West Cape and Cape Horn.

I could be pushed to swap out Cape of Good Hope for Cape Agulhas but nevertheless, it's remains a total of 5 (five).

Easy way to remember them is to count them off with the fingers of your left hand. Left hand because most (but not all) non-stop circumnavigators (solo or not) hold them on the port hand.

Call me if you need a navigator for future endeavours...
ROLF... but I've only 3 to do.. I've done the other two...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-06-2014, 15:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROLF... but I've only 3 to do.. I've done the other two...
You are way ahead of me but then, you always were
Old 14-06-2014, 15:51   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are way ahead of me but then, you always were
Well one of them I owe to you.. it was in your boat.
Would have been 2 had that gale not forced me N to the Bass Straits

Old 14-06-2014, 18:46   #44

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Circumnavigation? Hell, it's taken me a decade to get from Texas to Panama! Not sure I'm gonna live that long. But its been a great cruise.

I find coastal cruising, at a leisurely pace obviously, much more interesting than days on end of open ocean. I enjoy single handed sailing for short periods, but cruising, and life in general, is more interesting when you share it with someone.

Short answer, "no".
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 20:21   #45

Boat: Watkins 27

Not only would I do it, mate, but to circumnavigate is one of my goals. We writers tend to be a bit reclusive and honestly, I'd rather be out there than where I am stuck now. If I could get a hold of a rig and the funds to take the trek I'd haul canvas.

Patrick
SailorPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world