Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 18:19   #1

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
What would you recomend?

What would anyone recommend for an American couple with no kids, and 6-12 months in the Caribbean?

My job is putting me on leave of absence for between 6 and 12 months, with a possible extension to 18 months due to market conditions. I've got enough money for a boat, and living expenses, I think.

I always though that the "dream" of sailing off into the Caribbean was a way away, so I didn't really plan it too closely. Came up with budget numbers to hit, and the type of boat I think I can handle, but not exactly where I'd want to go. Doesn't have to be the Caribbean, but access looks fairly easy from our starting place in Corpus Christi.

So 6-18 months, at the employer's discretion, what would you look to do, where would you look to go?

ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 18:35   #2

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: What would you recomend?

Check out buying in Trinidad if you want to stay close to US. There are a lot of good boats for sale in Langkawi Thailand and also in the Philippines.
Chances are you take off for 6 months you wont want to go back
Old 12-04-2016, 05:21   #3

I would look to either buy a boat on the North end of the Leeward Islands (Dominican, Puerto Rico, Virgins) or the South end (Venezuela, Trinidad, Grenada). Where ever I found the right boat, I would then sail it in the other direction along the islands, taking my time as I go. You can easily kill 6 months (or more) going from Grenada to Puerto Rico, or vice versa, if you stop and visit all of the interesting places along the way.

Get to the other end, and sell the boat. Or maybe not. If you have grown fond of the boat by then, maybe you just keep it and sail it on home. Your choice.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 22:19   #4

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Other viable option would be to buy a boat on the West coast, and then sail down to Panama, and then back up.

Only thing I'm leary about is that it could easily take the whole 12 months for that trip. 6 months down to Panama, 6 months back up to CC. Not a bad deal, but if the company calls me back early, I'll have to store the boat someplace down there.

Thoughts?

ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Check out buying in Trinidad if you want to stay close to US. There are a lot of good boats for sale in Langkawi Thailand and also in the Philippines.
Chances are you take off for 6 months you wont want to go back
Thanks for the information
Old 17-04-2016, 09:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I would look to either buy a boat on the North end of the Leeward Islands (Dominican, Puerto Rico, Virgins) or the South end (Venezuela, Trinidad, Grenada). Where ever I found the right boat, I would then sail it in the other direction along the islands, taking my time as I go. You can easily kill 6 months (or more) going from Grenada to Puerto Rico, or vice versa, if you stop and visit all of the interesting places along the way.

Get to the other end, and sell the boat. Or maybe not. If you have grown fond of the boat by then, maybe you just keep it and sail it on home. Your choice.
Agreee about it

Tags
men