Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2011, 11:45   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe
I am still interested in anchorages and marinas on the pacific side of the peninsula... So far we have Ensenada, Bahia Tortuga and Magdalena Bay to look forward to... We would like to have a few more in case of emergency rather than rely on charts alone... Anyone know the BaHa-Ha-Ha stops?? Would probably be good for us and I'm about outta money so buying the whole book to score an anchorage or two just isn't in the budget.
We went south stopping only at the stops you mentioned on way down but stopped nightly at many others as we came back upwind. The anchorages we stopped at were from north to south (all are nautical miles shortened to mi): Ensenada to Bahia San Quintin=111 mi; Fondadero San Carlos to San Quintin= 60 mi; Isla Cedros North to Fondaderos San Carlos =77 mi; Turtle Bay to Cedros Island =50 mi; San Juanico to Turtle Bay =171 mi; Bahia Santa Maria to San Juanico =101 mi; Cabo San Lucas to Bahia Santa Maria =203 mi (easier in & out than Mag Bay); Muertos Cove to Cabo =92 mi.

Bahia Santa Maria, San Juanico, Turtle are nice coves in windy weather. The others are stops for the night but no real protection. I would check out a book from a friend or library or get a used one from Amazon that gives u more info though. Having good information may cost a bit but it is priceless if there is a storm. We used the Capt. Raines book for Cruising Mexico on the way down. It had good info. Fair Winds and Smooth Seas!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:22   #62

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Sea of Cortez: Best of

I've made the trip both ways many times and Sailor g hit all the decent anchorages that I have used in a blow or just to rest. If you don't want to head inside to Mag Bay, Bahia Santa Maria is very secure. Good holding and while the wind may howl a bit through the rigging, no fetch behind the sand heads so a nice quiet spot provided you don't get a southerly which rarely happens. An added bonus is to row ashore and walk the dunes... there used to be a number of bleached whale skeletons on the northwest side of the dunes which are interesting. Besides, if you stop outside at Santa Maria, you don't need to check in with the Port Captain in Mag Bay. You will enjoy the trip south more than the trip north... so have fun... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:32   #63

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe View Post
I am still interested in anchorages and marinas on the pacific side of the peninsula... So far we have Ensenada, Bahia Tortuga and Magdalena Bay to look forward to... We would like to have a few more in case of emergency rather than rely on charts alone... Anyone know the BaHa-Ha-Ha stops?? Would probably be good for us and I'm about outta money so buying the whole book to score an anchorage or two just isn't in the budget.
Umm, OK, I really did know a fellow who sailed the Pacific coast from Washington to Mexico using road maps, but I really really really discourage others to follow in his stead. Lucky Bob was Lucky Bob for reasons beyond human ken... It is a good long trek down the Pacific side and you will need more than the name of a place to put into it - to even find it - if you have an urgent need. Suggest either Pat Rains or Charlie's Charts, or join the Active Captain web site and do some printing from the computer. I much prefer reading about the shoal on the north side of an anchorage rather than finding it myself.
The Baja HaHa puts in at Turtle Bay, Bahia Santa Maria, then Cabo San Lucas. The only marinas are in Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas (and nearby San Jose del Cabo), then Mazatlan, Puerta Vallarta, etc. Lots of intermediate anchoring spots, most with some kind of hazard you would prefer to know about before you get there, many with protection from one direction but not another. Suck it up and beg, borrow, or buy a guide book...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 19:19   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is no anchoring in ensenada except during the newport to ensenada race, which is over now--- so first ANCHORAGE is turtle bay.... gooodluck.. there are good and safw marinas in ensenada-- i likke juanitos botes-- very friendly and is family owned and operated... and i like ensenada marina-- the lady running that one is in the patent office-- there is a fella who will direct ye in from on th edock-- go ther eor to juanitos for inexpensive and SAFE docking. baja naval is pricey and bandidos is dangerous, unless ye enjoy losing items off your decks......
i should be leaving from ensenada marina sun... mebbe mon....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 12:45   #65

We do know some who stop & anchor overnite at Isla Todos Santos. Not a bad spot
Old 21-04-2011, 12:50   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g
We do know some who stop & anchor overnite at Isla Todos Santos. Not a bad spot
Oops hit send as I was moving around! There is one spot we anchored a lot at end of island. Room for a couple boats Watch out for fish pens and thick kelp!
Old 23-04-2011, 15:57   #67

Boat: Sceptre 41

I like the Baja Bash book for finding the good anchorages. Also the plastic coated chart of Baja. Both are available from Downwind Marine. If the funds aren't there just by the chart it has GPS cordinates for the different anchorages. I didn't check them all but I did check the one in Bahia San Carlos but it was perf3ect

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:17   #68

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

"there is no anchoring in ensenada except during the newport to ensenada race, which is over now--- so first ANCHORAGE is turtle bay...."

Errr... Isla San Martin, San Quentin, Cedros Island (north end and by town)...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 15:05   #69

Hello, We are planning on a three week cruise of the Sea of Cortez in May 2015. We have never fished before but are curious about what fish are edible and the best ways to catch fish. Never ever's here looking for advice. Does anyone know of any books/website to start with? Thanks!
altairishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 15:39   #70

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Twenty years ago when we cruised Mexico, I asked a local fisherman that question.
He looked at me like I had two heads and said,

"Big fish !"

While snorkling, I used a spear gun and my favorite is Triggerfish. Very nutlike flavor.

While sailing, we used to catch Dorado (Mahi mahi).
I used a plastic octopus lure on 100 feet of 200 lb test monofilament line connected to the stern pulpit with a Wichard hook and a dockline snubber to absorb shock.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 16:19   #71

Dingy Troll around rocky points with silver spoon 3-5" for Sierra Mackarel. Nice oily white fish.
Dingy or mothership Troll deeper for Bonita tuna. Very white flesh. Good Sushi. Cook fast and hot or it's dry. Skipjack Tuna look the same but are liver colored flesh... not desireable to most.
Troll Behind the mothership with a rubber squid maybe 8" length (yellow/green or Blue/white) for Dorado. Mahi.
Bottom fish 20+ feet and more for Cabrilla (kinda like rockfish or Red Snapper)
Those were most the fish I caught when there. Also Wahoo, Sailfish and Roosterfish.
I avoided eating the reef fishes but Trigger and Grunts can be eaten.
Have a strong net or gaff hook.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 17:37   #72

Boat: Islander 36

I have the book, "Fishes of the Pacific Coast", as well as "Pacific Mexico" by Heather and Shawn and 2 Charlie's Charts cruising guides, but wait, thete's more.! The Yachtsman Mexico to Panama chart book. Don't need them here in Hawaii or later in the South Pacific. PM me if you're interested.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:51   #73

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When landing Dorado under sail, we sprayed cheap tequila into their gills.
They died quickly without a fuss or mess on deck.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:59   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cruisers book of fishing, or fishing for cruisers, i believe is the name of the book i like... has cruisers and fishing both in the name.....has pix and everything, including warnings.. good book
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 14:30   #75

I WOULD LOVE THOSE BOOKS! I can't seem to figure out how to PM. Would you mind PMing me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I have the book, "Fishes of the Pacific Coast", as well as "Pacific Mexico" by Heather and Shawn and 2 Charlie's Charts cruising guides, but wait, thete's more.! The Yachtsman Mexico to Panama chart book. Don't need them here in Hawaii or later in the South Pacific. PM me if you're interested.
altairishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez