Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2007, 07:13   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Have just realised that I have checked ths thread 27 times.

B#gger!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 08:28   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
No cabin fever down here - just need to find more time to spend under the canvas - i guess we get spoiled as when the winds blow from the n or ne we just stay in as it is "a bit cool" -
as for stuff - collect shot glasses from each stop - had a few until significant other decided she was going to move on and took most with her - now i get to start the collection over again
chuck and soulmates
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 16:18   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
I'm at the point Cat that I have to re-organize the shelving and add some sort of system. Which shelf do you suggest for the Cap'n Morgan's? Top shelf? That should keep the Admiral out of my cache!
Down your throat i'd reckon

Dave
Old 17-01-2007, 17:06   #19

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
Well, I'm in the off season indefinitely until I get a boat. Until then, college classes, trying to get the parts together to build myself a little plywood dinghy in the little spare time I have with the little spare money I have. Oh and yeah, rotting away in front of this infernal machine.

Not that I have anything against computers, I love them, I just know I'm addicted to them, and I'm trying to get addicted to something healthier, cruising, namely.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 17:47   #20
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
KB,
Not sure about the candle bit but I do seem to be making more of a habit of generating earwax than when I was a young bloke. Didn't someone also remark that it seems somewhat unfair that as you get older you have more hair growing in your ears and up your nose than on your head.

Regarding your collection one thing does disturb me, have a guess, "miniature liquor bottles (full)". A concept there that I can't quite get my head around.

As part of the Antipodean rabble that infests this board, off season does not really compute but this winter coming I'm going to spend more time at anchor practicing my fishing. It may become my new obsession but it doesn't look promising. On our recent trip spent mainly anchored in small boltholes I managed to catch Keels (1), Rudders (1), Rubber Ducky (2, I practice catch and release so it may have been the same one caught twice), Countries (1, Australia) and of course FISH (0, nil, naught, nuffink.)
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 06:22   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m an inveterate (Maggie says obsessive) reader.

Ie: A recent feature on "Daily Planet" (Discovery Canada), prompted me to read a little about Cerumen (Earwax)
There are two distinct genetically determined types of cerumen:
1. the wet type, which is dominant
2. the dry type, which is recessive.
(a single genetic letter of a single gene determines whether you have one or the other)
Cerumen type has been used by anthropologists to track human migratory patterns, such as those of the Inuit.
Asians and Native Americans are more likely to have the dry type of cerumen (grey and flaky), whereas Caucasians and Africans are more likely to have the wet type (honey-brown to dark-brown and moist).

A short article:
"One small genetic change makes earwax wet or dry"
By Michael Balter (ScienceNOW Daily News )
MichaelBalter.com

Who'd a thunk?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:39   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Off season here is when it rains and gets down to 65 degrees F. Could happen any day now. Had about 20 people show up for a sail last Sunday (our club sail day).
laters,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 18:44   #23

Gord,

From this post, and many others, I just figured you got hungry as a young lad and ate a dictionary! I could see no other explanation.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 21:44   #24

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro
Gord when you were an Egyptian, was your name Toth??

Audrey
Old 22-01-2007, 00:14   #25
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
No such thing as an off season down here, you just gotta try a bit harder (and be a bit harder). Any time spent not sailing Nightcap seems to be spent working on Nightcap. Now that I'm employed again (starting in 2 weeks) I get to sail & work on other people's toys so the sailing life and working life a sort of blending. I think that's a good thing, not too sure yet.
Sailing and Dining Cruises on Auckland Harbour
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 00:48   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Just as long as you realise that the work on your own boat will not stop. Yeah I knew you knew that;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 01:03   #27
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
After the southerly change this afternoon the sooner the better for heading north. Feels like bloody winter again.
Got the mast back in last Sunday (amazing what a bit of pressure will do) so a bit of rig tuning and we're good to go.
Yeah, I know the work won't stop but they have a lovely bin of shiny, used yacht bits sitting under the bench in the new job so I could have some fun picking through it.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 01:19   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Remember, Don't if you ever throw anything out, throw it in my direction. One mans trash is Wheels's treasure. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:18   #29
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Remember, Don't if you ever throw anything out, throw it in my direction. One mans trash is Wheels's treasure. :-)
Very tempted to ask about your wheelie bin but I wouldn't do that, far to wet that particular pun.
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 12:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
I have a downright nasty habit in the off season - working for a living. I goof off enough during the season sailing that I have to get back to work some time.
Aye, that! As I frequently tell my beloved and patient mate, this regular job really screws up my schedule. What little spare time there is, would mostly be spent reading this forum, studying boat specs, reading everything I can get my hands on about salt-water sailing. And counting the days 'til the work is gone and the moneypile has reached its required height... 7 years, 9 months, 2 days...

Besides, at the moment, my sailing waters are very hard and flat, with holes drilled into them. But at least the ice-fishers are having some fun. I guess. Sitting on the beer box in near-zero temps, jigging a short pole for perch through a 10-inch hole in the ice... I just can't get into it, and I like to fish.
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote