Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2007, 13:43   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I've been trying to think of what I do that is obsessive and compulsive. Then I had a look around my front yard and see 6 boats in varying sizes from 11' to 42'. Then there are two old beater Sunfish in the backyard. I've got 4 outboards on a rack at the side of my house. When I started to fix a water pump">raw water pump to my engine last week I found 3 Jabscos and 1 Sherwood that could be used. All needed rebuilding of course.
Now, I'm not certain if that is obsessive or compulsive but if I started listing all the boat parts and pieces here on this acre I might be considered a bit eccentric.
Wish I had a working digital camera because I could photo my beer stein collection. I have one from cities and countries I've visited. I don't have one from Venezuela though so if anyone out there has one for sale let me know.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 13:46   #32

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Paul,
As my good old sailing friend, Shep Williams, used to say, "Work is the curse of the drinking man." His boat was a Herreshoff S-Boat built in '39. It survived the attack on Pearl Harbor and is still being sailed. What a screamer that was. In a chop it was like a submarine. Pretty wet.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 22:47   #33

Boat: PEARSON 422
we don't really have an "off season" but we do have times of the year when we sail less.

July and August are brutally hot during the day and there are ferocious thunderstorms in the afternoon so we do a few things to deal with it. 1. go sailing at night - it is a real rush to be out on the water at night in the summer. The water is calm and the temperature is perfect for a midnight swim. If we go out during the day we have to take the power boat, with an extra quarter tank of fuel, so that we can dodge thunderstorms. 2. Dive the springs - we head inland where we have springs that are 73degerees all year round and are very refreshing in the summer. 3. Drive to North Carolina and hang out in the mountains.

In January and February we have cold fronts that blow thru about once a week. So, when the winds are heavy out of the north I work on stuff inside the boat. The other part of the week, when the high pressure systems are dominate, is why all the tourists come here. The weather is absolutely perfect then for sailing.
Old 02-02-2007, 22:48   #34

we don't really have an "off season" but we do have times of the year when we sail less.

July and August are brutally hot during the day and there are ferocious thunderstorms in the afternoon so we do a few things to deal with it. 1. go sailing at night - it is a real rush to be out on the water at night in the summer. The water is calm and the temperature is perfect for a midnight swim. If we go out during the day we have to take the power boat, with an extra quarter tank of fuel, so that we can dodge thunderstorms. 2. Dive the springs - we head inland where we have springs that are 73degerees all year round and are very refreshing in the summer. 3. Drive to North Carolina and hang out in the mountains.

In January and February we have cold fronts that blow thru about once a week. So, when the winds are heavy out of the north I work on stuff inside the boat. The other part of the week, when the high pressure systems are dominate, is why all the tourists come here.
Old 02-02-2007, 22:49   #35

oh yeah, no obsessive or compulsive behaviors.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:41   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
COCD:
Cruisers Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions), centred on the need to cruise.
Repetitive week-end and holiday cruising is often performed, with the hope of preventing these obsessive thoughts, or making them go away.
Performing these so-called "ritual cruises" however, provides only temporary relief.
Doctors aren’t certain of the causes of OCCD.
While it;’s not curable, COCD can be effectively treated by a course of continued long-term live-aboard cruising therapy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote