Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2003, 09:54   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Master and Commander-Far Side of the World-Review

Russell Crowe provides an exceptional portrayal of the larger than life persona of Capt. Jack Aubrey from the Patrick O'Brien series of books..The film has all the expected scenes of swashbuckling adventure, heroics, and clashing of swords in entrenched battles, but yet it goes deeper into the delicate balance of loyalty between a Captain and his crew. Pursuit of battle and conquest takes a secondary seat to one becoming entranced in relationship of strength versus intellect that Capt. Jack shares with his best friend, and ship's surgeon, Steven Mautarin. As easily as the two instruments that the two men play, the cello and violin, can strike a screeching discord, the friendship is continuously challenged to remain a harmonious duet.

The story line has some of the seemingly unavoidable discontinuity that previous swashbuckling sea adventures have suffered. How did the ship suffer so much damage, but yet was able to sail again faster, and truer the next day,etc?. But even so, these are minor distractions to the strong understood objectives of the ship’s company that the audience is enveloped in.

“Name a bush after me, something prickley and hard to eradicate.” Capt. Jack tells his ships surgeon, and part time naturalist friend Steven. This movie is much like that. From the first scene, your senses are pricked as you witness what seems to be a very accurate portrayal of what life was like for seamen aboard a British Man O War tall ship during the Napoleonic era. You leave the theater wondering where Capt. Jack and crew are going next, and knowing that you want to be there with them.

On a scale of (1-3) Top Gallants - (3+)

*** Excellent movie, but the advertisements for it do carry the statement “ some scenes not suitable for young children.” I would totally agree with that. There was a young girl, probably 9 yrs .of age sitting beside me in the theater. The realistic battle scenes in the movie appeared to be quite disturbing to her.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:41   #2

Boat: Dickerson 41
Re: Master and Commander-Far Side of the World-Review

No one is better than Patrick O'Brien for writing action at sea. The only problem is when you have read the last one. The horror, the sadness, at least you can start to read them all over again!

Or check out other books like these: Amazon.com: Mike Riley: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

OK. I have to admit, I did pen them. The 8 non fiction aren't in competition with Patrick but my two fiction are. Even after reading O'Brien again, those two books are damn good. But don't believe me. Give it a try. It's free to try!
svbeausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:51   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I must have read all 21 books in the series at least a dozen times, as well as everything else O'Brian ever wrote. I must say, I absolutely hate the movie. Almost everything about it was deeply flawed IMO, from the casting to the godawful plot, composed of (gasp!), a compilation of content from the first book and the fourteenth (as well as one or two others)! The audacity! The nerve! To try to condense O'Brian's work into one two hour movie is the height of the many offenses this movie makes. Inexcusable.

If any of you are really O'Brian fans, you should definitely get deeply into the work of Frederick Marryat, if you are not already. He was O'Brian's great inspiration, and the favorite author of many literary greats, such as Conrad and Dickens. I own several first editions of Marryat, and they are some of my prize possessions.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 13:08   #4
cruiser

Didn't care for the O'Brian series-- things got weird in number three.

Much bigger fan of Hornblower. I may have to have another son, so I can name him Hornblower.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:14   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Guys this is a 10 year old thread !!
Old 08-01-2013, 18:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Master and Commander-Far Side of the World-Review

Its wet and cold out... we're desperate,,,,
Hornblower and there's another but the name escapes me...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sure, it's an old thread, but "Master and Commander" is still one of my favorite films. A movie doesn't have to completely adhere to its source material (witness Ridley Scott's film "Blade Runner" vs Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" -- quite different, but each a masterpiece.)

Anyway, the O'Brian books are quite enjoyable, as are C.S. Forester's Hornblower novels. The Hornblower series were turned into a miniseries by A&E, and these were also well done.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:32   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I loved the books till I actually put brain into gear. Have a look at how many times in his books they have westerlies in the Caribbean.

Then the house of cards begins to fall down. He could have had a look at the pilots charts.... Or gone there!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 19:03   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Sure, it's an old thread, but "Master and Commander" is still one of my favorite films. A movie doesn't have to completely adhere to its source material (witness Ridley Scott's film "Blade Runner" vs Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" -- quite different, but each a masterpiece.)

Anyway, the O'Brian books are quite enjoyable, as are C.S. Forester's Hornblower novels. The Hornblower series were turned into a miniseries by A&E, and these were also well done.

While "Do Androids Dream" is indeed a masterpiece, it's a short story, not a novel. Blade Runner is only very loosely based on it, I'd say it stands alone just fine.
Old 08-01-2013, 19:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
While "Do Androids Dream" is indeed a masterpiece, it's a short story, not a novel. Blade Runner is only very loosely based on it, I'd say it stands alone just fine.
"Androids" is definitely a novel. My 1972 edition has 183 pages. It is true that most of the other Dick-inspired movies were based on short stories. I would also claim that Blade Runner is closely based on the novel, and the differences are largely omissions of several sub-plot elements. Some of the tone, and perhaps the final philosophical statement, is different, but there is a huge amount that is a direct match.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 08-01-2013, 19:26   #11

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Didn't care for the O'Brian series-- things got weird in number three.

Much bigger fan of Hornblower. I may have to have another son, so I can name him Hornblower.
aye! C.S. Forester did it first and better.
I don't like supermen. They are caricatures and fail, seen beside real people

As to The Movie,
Master + Commander was so ... unlikely and... un-Navy. Too similar to Gladiator- also unlikely and un-Roman. Ignorant and Bad scripts....an opportunity missed.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 20:04   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
"Androids" is definitely a novel. My 1972 edition has 183 pages. It is true that most of the other Dick-inspired movies were based on short stories. I would also claim that Blade Runner is closely based on the novel, and the differences are largely omissions of several sub-plot elements. Some of the tone, and perhaps the final philosophical statement, is different, but there is a huge amount that is a direct match.

Must be some 1972 large print. Note that it is in most collections of Dick's short stories.
Old 08-01-2013, 22:38   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Must be some 1972 large print. Note that it is in most collections of Dick's short stories.
OK, are we talking about "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", the full-length novel that Blade Runner is based on? That's what I originally mentioned. Here's the Wikipedia article on this novel.

I don't think there even is a short story titled just "Android". Please point me to this short story of which you speak -- I have pretty nearly every PKD novel and story collection ever published right here in my bookshelf.

Or are you just pulling my chain?
www.sailvalis.com
Old 08-01-2013, 23:27   #14

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Nelson's Victory was forty years old at Trafalgar, so this thread could go on for more than ten years easily.

Also like Dewey Lamdin (Ransome), James Nelson (Revolution at Sea)
Old 09-01-2013, 05:01   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

mind you its unfortunate the French were put in , most of the books have Aubrey fighting the Americans,( the far side of the world) but then that wouldn't go down to well in the cinemas

Dave

Tags
reviews