Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 00:54   #31

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b
If there is one thing you don't need on a sailboat it's a bow and arrow. Most sane countries do not allow firearms, that would be any devise that can launch a projectile. If one is found on your vessel you will be arrested and it will cost you thousands of dollars and weeks of your time to get out, and then you will be expelled and told never to return.
God help your sorry ass if you actually use one.
This has my vote for the worst, most irrelevant post of the week.
Old 19-06-2014, 01:01   #32
cruiser

Re: Legality of Compound (Archery) Bow cruising other countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
This has my vote for the worst, most irrelevant post of the week.
^ what he said
DeftxM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 01:01   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeftxM View Post
no offense but a crossbow takes the skill out of archery. in my eyes defeats the point of a bow
Not everyone, myself included, can use a traditional bow or compound bow due to physical ailments/issues. Are you saying that anyone who's handicapped in some way is unskilled? That seems to be what you're implying by your remark. Or, do you have some sort of Robin Hood issue?

Besides, what difference does it make to the deer? He's just as dead whether he's hit by a bolt or an arrow. Or, would you prefer the deer to be walking around the woods with an arrow sticking out of his ass because you missed by a little bit with your traditional bow?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 01:16   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not everyone, myself included, can use a traditional bow or compound bow due to physical ailments/issues. Are you saying that anyone who's handicapped in some way is unskilled? That seems to be what you're implying by your remark. Or, do you have some sort of Robin Hood issue?

Besides, what difference does it make to the deer? He's just as dead whether he's hit by a bolt or an arrow. Or, would you prefer the deer to be walking around the woods with an arrow sticking out of his ass because you missed by a little bit with your traditional bow?
lol this guy makes the worst points ive ever heard. i didnt know you were handicapped, guy. i simply stated IMO that a crossbow takes the skill out of archery. is it really a question as to why? where did i imply that please do tell? it seems to me that you imply that i have a hate for handicapped people
Old 19-06-2014, 01:39   #35
cruiser

Yeah, whatever you say.... Mr. Robin Hood.

I make an attempt to contribute to your dumbass thread, then you respond with insults. Why in the world would anyone think they'd need a bow and arrow on a boat for protection? I can't think of a more inappropriate weapon for self defense on a boat. For hunting while traveling? Yeah right.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 02:28   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Ok guys, calm down! Enough name calling.

The OP is about bows and arrows.... Plain old, common, Sherwood Forest stuff, leave guns and your opinions about them out of this thread.
Old 19-06-2014, 03:24   #37

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
lol this guy makes the worst points ive ever heard. i didnt know you were handicapped, guy. i simply stated IMO that a crossbow takes the skill out of archery. is it really a question as to why? where did i imply that please do tell? it seems to me that you imply that i have a hate for handicapped people
Actually thought he s points were valid. Today's compounds have red dot sights, most use mechanical releases , whisker biscuits and so many things that you could say "take the skill out of archery" that it is silly to claim a current compound bow takes that much more skill than a crossbow. I learned to shoot on A recurve and used it for years. I have a huge respect for those who hu t w recurves and make their own gear. But nowadays I use a high tech bow myself but dont feel its very challenging.
Where can you cruise and hunt w a bow outside the US?,Maybe I need to rethink my plans.
Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 03:44   #38
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Legality of Compound (Archery) Bow Cruising other Countries

Back to the original question...

Quote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows about bringing a bow and arrow on a liveaboard sailing vessel. Will customs treat it the same way as a firearm?
DeftxM,

You really need to tell us where you live now, and where you intend to cruise with your bow and arrows--it will make a huge difference in the advice you get. If you live in Canada and plan to cruise in the US, you'd get one answer. If you live in the US and plan to cruise to the eastern Caribbean, it will be an entirely different answer.
Old 19-06-2014, 03:57   #39
cruiser

dulce i do agree to a certain extent. i do not use a release and whisker biscuits are just cheating xD haha. Have you crafted your own recurve? How is your precision with one? Hud3- Id be leaving south florida, cruise the keys for a while then hit the lower carribean. maybe south east? like st croix area. also i dont know the hunting regulations, would probably dick around with it mainly, not seriously hunt. Also i use my compound with 2 arrows i crafted with sand bags at the end to shoot down fruits like mangos and coconuts. - next thread vegan archers.
Old 19-06-2014, 04:21   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
^ what he said
Perhaps read this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ail-40170.html
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:31   #41
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...Hud3- Id be leaving south florida, cruise the keys for a while then hit the lower carribean. maybe south east? like st croix area. also i dont know the hunting regulations, would probably dick around with it mainly, not seriously hunt. Also i use my compound with 2 arrows i crafted with sand bags at the end to shoot down fruits like mangos and coconuts. - next thread vegan archers.
OK, thanks. The American Virgin Islands might be more tolerant of things like bows and arrows, but I don't really know. I lived on Nevis, in the eastern Caribbean, for six years, and I believe you'd get the same reaction (below) on most of the English-heritage islands in the Lesser Antilles.

First, you will be asked to declare any "firearms and ammunition" when you clear in. Is a bow a firearm? Good question! You'd probably be tempted to assume a firearm is a pistol, rifle or shotgun, and not list your bow and arrows. So, then you take it ashore for a little target practice. A local sees you shooting your arrows and calls the police. The constable comes, and politely asks you to accompany him to the station, where you are put in a holding cell overnight.

The next day (or next week, perhaps) the Magistrate quizzes you as to what you're doing with an un-declared offensive weapon on the island. It's not a "firearm", you protest. "Hmmm, Mr. DeftxM", says the Magistrate. "Do you realize that it is illegal to carry any offensive weapon on Nevis? This includes, but is not limited to, small pocket knives, catapults (slingshots), machetes carried in the open (uncovered), bow and arrows, and Mace or pepper spray, not to mention guns of various sorts. We will keep you under detention until we sort this out. I think that I will also require Customs to search your boat to see what else you might have that is un-declared".

This is not far-fetched. A friend of mine on Nevis was arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to seven years at hard labor in Her Majesty's Prison on St Kitts for importing and declaring a part for a .22 cal rifle that was left in the house he bought by the previous owner. His wife was also arrested, but released after a week in prison. He was released from jail and appealed his conviction, but his passport was held, and he could not leave the island. After about three years of living in limbo he was finally allowed to leave the island. And I've read newspaper reports of locals being convicted and sentenced to jail time for carrying small pocket knives.

It's a different world down there, and enforcement can be very random. You can't rely on what you've experienced in the US, or what you think is "logical" or "fair".
Old 19-06-2014, 04:38   #42

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa

Also check locally with province or state laws, as here in Oz, slingshots and bows are legal in Queensland but outlawed almost everywhere else. Air rifles are illegal everywhere, but I've learnt to be a pretty good shot with the sling. It just can't have an armrest attached to it, because it improves accuracy, the powers to be have decided that's it's better to fire ball bearings wildly lol
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:43   #43
cruiser

so i just read about nevis and the murder rate is horrible... gun control is obviously working wonders..
Old 19-06-2014, 04:54   #44

Quote:
so i just read about nevis and the murder rate is horrible... gun control is obviously working wonders..
Lol'' no ive never made my own recurve just have a huge respect for those who have the patience and skill, as for some countries they have laws about no knifes over 4" must suck filleting large fish
For defense a chainsaw would be great, Those things are scarey as hell lolll and probably not banned , i think most criminals would flee if they heard one firing up after the climbed aboard. If anyone asked its just for gathering firewood.
Old 19-06-2014, 05:02   #45

I couldnt resist, sorry for the drift
Click image for larger version

Name:	downloadfile.jpeg
Views:	456
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	83413

Tags
arc, cruising, legal