Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 13:33   #31

Re: Any photographers still use film?

The man wasn't asking for opinions or a pissing contest. He just asked if anyone else uses old cameras. You guys just can't help yourselves. Sheesh.
Old 09-03-2013, 15:41   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Still doing black and white with film

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:58   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
The man wasn't asking for opinions or a pissing contest. He just asked if anyone else uses old cameras. You guys just can't help yourselves. Sheesh.
No, he asked me how I thought a medium format film back vs digital back would compare. You might try to read before posting nothing relevant to the OP and blaming others to post non relevant info.. Sheesh...

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:11   #34

Jedi, will all due respect, I was referencing the original poster. You might try reading post #1.
Old 09-03-2013, 16:14   #35

For photography professionals and hobbiests, the film/digital debate may yet rage.

But for the average human, the war is won. More and better pictures, and for way cheaper, with digital. My wife and I have Canon point'n'shoot cameras and they have been great. Mine's going on 5 years old, been dropped, been rained on...

Now... phones with cameras... yuk. Discuss.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:03   #36

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
The best camera is the one you have with you...

nolandinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:28   #37

Boat: Hunter 31
35mm photography does not hold up when compared to digital slr. When you factor in raw developing, extra speed and video options. But real photographers all over are still shooting film in medium and large format. The texture you get with that can't be produced digitally.
Sierahotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:30   #38

Boat: Hunter 31
Also it's becoming a popular option to have great classic old lenses re-mounted for a digital camera. If you're interested in an old look which is more flattering in the skin tones, try old glass.
Sierahotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:02   #39
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Jedi, will all due respect, I was referencing the original poster. You might try reading post #1.
Okay Starbuck, just for you, let me check on post #1 and the Original Poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Or any that are thinking about going BACK to film?

My Rollieflex has been gathering dust and is harder to use but the images are so much better. Been thinking about getting a new bellows for a 100 year old 4X5 field camera and taking pix with it again.
Does anyone else have any old cameras?
It is Miniyot doing post #1. Now lets see the post that I answered:

Quote:
Jedi,
Do you really believe a digital back for my 4X5 will give a better image than 4X5 film?
Ah, it is Miniyot, the OP, that asked me about comparing digital vs film on 4x5 format and I reply with images and everything. So why are you reacting so weird? If you post in this thread, at least try to post on topic and please don't try to make me look stupid enough to not know who the OP is. I can do that, so I suppose you can do that too and you're just flaming me because you're a Sith or something

peace
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:22   #40

S/V Jedi, Maybe if I had 15 thousand to spend on a digital back for my Rollie, or 30 thousand for my 4X5, Maybe I could see a difference.
BUT.....
Not everyone can blow that kind of money on a hobby.

Speaking of blowing money. Do you really understand what kind of money I would have to spend on a computer just to be able to process the pix from a 4X5 digital camera?

Please refer back to my original post, please.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:57   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have several "old cameras" and my favorite is an old Hasselblad 500C from the early 70s and I would say that there is not a digital camara that could beat it on the market today (affordable one)...I like digital for ease of use but if you want to get serious about mid to large format work go with film and a Hasselblad..some folks are even getting old Zeiset(sp?)lenses custom mounted to digital cameras,there has to be a reason for this,maybe because it produces a better photo!..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 18:35   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Um...when I look at film?

Some magazines still want larger format....that's equal to 5 times what digital will show.

develop it...you'll love it!!!

DUDE!!! I would love to buy that Hasselblad!!!!
I have one for sale ,Its a 500 c, circa 1974 or so,I also have a 1500 prototype and the original box!! thats rare and it has the funky lenses if you are interested?..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 16:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have one for sale ,Its a 500 c, circa 1974 or so,I also have a 1500 prototype and the original box!! thats rare and it has the funky lenses if you are interested?..
I would love to have a hasselblad, I would almost trade my '56 Rollie for it...But....right now I cannot do it. I am in the middle of the big "D" and waiting for the house to sale, and I'm going to buy a boat after the "D" happens so I can't do anything right now.

If I do buy a boat, it looks like I might be giving my collection to one of my bros. to hold until/if I get back.

But hey, keep me in mind!??
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44   #44

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

I still shoot film. I shoot both. Digital also produces good resolution images.

Digital for day to day images, some official work, etc.

I use film for my own personal artistic usage. Some of my best images have come from film.
I have a nikon FM2 and gives pretty good results.
When it comes to archiving, my personal choice is negatives. I find digital archiving a bit uncomfortable for my taste. Have lost data in the past.

bottomline - shoot what you are comfortable with.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24   #45

Boat: Celestial 48

Starting early in high school I shot film and developed and printed my own prints in my darkroom. Loved seeing the images appear on the paper - it was magical.

But the expense of film, paper, chemicals, and the room to setup a darkroom. Why do it when it can be done better, cheaper and faster with digital?

Got rid of most all of my film gear, except have my Olympus OM-1 still in hand. They eBay for something like $20 nowadays so I just don't have the heart to get rid of it. At same time, really don't see me using it again either

On rare occasion I make a print, just email file to a digital photo finisher. Their quality control (good ones at least) is much higher than I could ever achieve.

I would say 99% of photos never get printed now, but are shared on computer screens (or smart phones). What resolution you need for that, something like 2 Mpixels for full screen on a good computer display? 1 Mp large enough for a good size screen image.

I had a film scanner for a while (when digital cameras were about 5 Mp at best), but forgot about it as soon as I could get a camera of about 8 Mp or better. It now sits in its box.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote