Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 11:38   #496

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I will begin my lecture today by pointing out the brilliant observation by one of my graduate students:

:
Bravo for your grad student.

I have never been mentally acute enough to appreciate true art. I just don't have the IQ.

I have not seen the movie and probably won't as I know in my heart I don't have the IQ to properly interpret the true artists meaning in the film. I would think it is too full of stupid mistakes and lacking a true (easily seen by the masses of normal folks) direction and/or statement.

That is my cross to bear despite, as a child, being drug through archeological digs and museums since I can remember from Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan (what musems?) to Italy and the rest of Europe.

Oh woe is me. Destined to die without much understanding or enlightenment. Ooohhhh wwoooeee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cryin.gif
Views:	176
Size:	194 Bytes
ID:	76761  
Old 25-02-2014, 11:41   #497
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Salty you are so full of it! That wasn't a rape scene! That was symbolic of 911 episode when we were damaged by a large metal objects! And the rest of the movie was relating how US politics have changed us! And the flares are how the govt. is ignoring our right to bear arms!!! Yeah that's it!....
What a great movie! I didn't see it until now! (said with tongue thoroughly in cheek)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:13   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Andrew, granted it could have been more authentic but I don't think that means they were striving for anti-authenticity. Why seek expert advice and then not follow it, that's something only they can answer I guess. As a sailor I certainly noticed the inaccuracies but they did not distract from my enjoyment, but then I didn't see it as a "sailing" movie.

I did read your other post above as well and I understand your argument but I think the writer and director had other objectives in mind.
Sincerest thanks Doodles, you considered my argument and that's all I can ask.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:22   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
While viewing the film, as a sailor, I was nonplused, <SNIP>

Sorry - just cut and pasted that so I would look more smartish... I still think it was unadulterated *****.....
I think the de-Anglicisation highlighted above is a giveaway: this is boilerplate text originating from an undercover French agent provocateur, probably from the DGSE, trying to subvert the cultural influence of the Anglosphere by injecting (and I cannot improve on our esteemed forum-member's characterisation) "unadulterated *****" in unconvincing support of a second-rate film which in other fora, they hyperbolically (or is that, bollockally?) characterise as surpassing "Ulysses"

Ebert is obviously a Frenchification of "Herbert".
And it surely cannot be coincidental that the first three letters of "Ouija" are unmistakably French.

We have an open and shut case here folks, if anything stronger than the case proving that the US government flew those cargo planes into those (mined) buildings.

(Gratuitous tie-in to Newts latest post)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:29   #500
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I think the de-Anglicisation highlighted above is a giveaway: this is boilerplate text originating from an undercover French agent provocateur, probably from the DGSE, trying to subvert the cultural influence of the Anglosphere by injecting (and I cannot improve on our esteemed forum-member's characterisation) "unadulterated *****" in unconvincing support of a second-rate film which in other fora, they hyperbolically (or is that, bollockally?) characterise as surpassing "Ulysses"

Ebert is obviously a Frenchification of "Herbert".
And it surely cannot be coincidental that the first three letters of "Ouija" are unmistakably French.

We have an open and shut case here folks, if anything stronger than the case proving that the US government flew those cargo planes into those (mined) buildings.

(Gratuitous tie-in to Newts latest post)
beautiful +1
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 13:26   #501

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa

Haha I still can't believe how many people here have time to pick apart a MOVIE when your all sailing the globe solving the worlds other problems...
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:03   #502

I thought the shaving thing was great. It showed how real panic can blurr your priorities. When a voice in your head starts thinking...no believing that all is lost your brain can play nasty tricks on you. Some people panic by getting animated and yelling, some just shut down.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:27   #503

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
...no believing that all is lost your brain can play nasty tricks on you. Some people panic by getting animated and yelling, some just shut down.
And, folks in the final stages of freezing to death tear off their cloths because they feel hot.

I think they could have got the sailing and human response part of movie right with little effort and with the "art" part included.

We have millions of years of self preservation genetics in our self. I cannot abide by a movie where self preservation in a dire circumstance is put on the shelf for no apparent reason. The "stupid movie" warning went off about 5 minutes into it. That was it for me it was stupid the rest of the way.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:43   #504
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
And, folks in the final stages of freezing to death tear off their cloths because they feel hot.
Nay, thats not panic derived. Vasodilation.
Why People Take Off Their Clothes When They're Literally Freezing to Death | Blisstree
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:49   #505

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yea but it kind of went with the theme of the mind playing tricks.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 22:04   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
...some just shut down.
That's really quite common. Read a few accounts of airplane crash survivors and you'll find stories of people who are unhurt or have only minor injuries when the plane comes to a stop, but just sit in their seats doing nothing instead of getting out of the (often burning) aircraft. It's easy to sit in a chair and believe you'll keep your wits about you in a crisis.
JGarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 22:13   #507

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

How was it ambiguous? He seemed to very clearly get rescued to me? Or are there alternative endings?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 23:05   #508

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
How was it ambiguous? He seemed to very clearly get rescued to me? Or are there alternative endings?
Read for yourself what the writer/director has to say about the ending.

All Is Lost&rsquo;s J.C. Chandor &ldquo;Sets the Record Straight&rdquo; About What Caused Robert Redford&rsquo;s Ear Infection | Vanity Fair
Old 27-02-2014, 23:25   #509

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I read your link, thank you. Not sure what in that interview relates to my question, perhaps you could cut and paste the sentences your referring to.

In the movie as he's sinking he sees a boat coming overhead with a bright light, he swims up and grabs the rescuers arm. What is ambiguous about that???
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 23:46   #510

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I read your link, thank you. Not sure what in that interview relates to my question, perhaps you could cut and paste the sentences your referring to.

In the movie as he's sinking he sees a boat coming overhead with a bright light, he swims up and grabs the rescuers arm. What is ambiguous about that???
Here you go ...

Quote:
The New York Times’s Maureen Dowd recently said the film’s ambiguous ending has divided audiences. Do you think it’s ambiguous?

I do have a very specific version of the movie for me. I know Redford does as well, and we have never discussed it with each other. I felt I could do something different. The goal of the film is a little bit of an emotional litmus test. In that last scene you hopefully had that visceral reaction, and whatever you’re thinking at that moment teaches you about your own view toward all these big issues that I’m talking about. I hate to say that I gave in to testing, but way back in December we showed a very rough version of the movie and designed a very cool part of the questionnaire for like 450 people. It literally came out like a 45-55 split, which is exactly what we all wanted.
If you Google your question you find that there is almost a 50/50 split on the ending. Many think he sank too low in the water to then swim back up, no bubbles we coming from his mouth at any time, he doesn't initially swim toward the rescue boat when he can but sinks, the bright light and hand he swims toward are symbolic of the afterlife, etc. There is no right or wrong answer, we see what want to see and that's what they wanted. You saw a very literal, practical ending and that's a very common interpretation but not the only one.

Tags
lost, movie