Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 17:30   #1

Docking at the marina.

Hello everyone. Need advice please. 4 years boating, trailering, but never used marinas for anything except for fueling a couple of times. Don't know much about them and how they operate. I'd like to cross to Abaco islands from florida and use marinas there to dock my boat to go visit places. Different Cays different towns i'd like to see there every day during my 2 weeks vacation. My question is how can I use marinas there , where do i dock my boat to leave for a few hrs at the time. Do I just pull up to one and start calling them on the radio or how do I find available dock ? I also want to use them for a few hrs a day so do they have hourly rate there for me to pay or how does it work guys ?

Thanks,
Victor.
Victor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 19:14   #2

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Re: Docking at the marina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor75 View Post
Hello everyone. Need advice please. 4 years boating, trailering, but never used marinas for anything except for fueling a couple of times. Don't know much about them and how they operate. I'd like to cross to Abaco islands from florida and use marinas there to dock my boat to go visit places. Different Cays different towns i'd like to see there every day during my 2 weeks vacation. My question is how can I use marinas there , where do i dock my boat to leave for a few hrs at the time. Do I just pull up to one and start calling them on the radio or how do I find available dock ? I also want to use them for a few hrs a day so do they have hourly rate there for me to pay or how does it work guys ?

Thanks,
Victor.
Radio them as you approach and see where they want to put you. Or anchor in a safe spot and dinghy ashore.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 19:46   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Comparatively few marinas are likely to have hourly rates. If you want to go ashore for less than a day best to anchor and dinghy in.
Then all you have to do is find a dinghy dock. Usually not too hard, just make sure you have permission.
Old 15-06-2015, 20:00   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you want your first trip to be a happy one I suggest keeping it simple. Choose one or two places to go ahead of time. Use the internet to find the closest marina to where you want to go or get a book that lists marina details. There are many books that info about the Abacos. Check West Marine or other marine book stores. Once you have a plan call them before you leave Florida to make sure you can clear customs there. If not they can tell you where to go first. I just found this with a simple search. The Abacos | The Official Site of The Bahamas
In general...Even if you don't have a plan marinas all over the world operate pretty much the same. You can pull in unannounced and just go to the fuel dock and tell them you want to stay for a few hours or longer. They will direct you. One thing to consider though is popular places like say the Abacos might be completely booked so calling ahead would allow you to reserve a spot. Be safe have fun!!
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 17:08   #5

Thanks guys. Hopefully they wouldn't say too much that I've parked my dinghy at the wrong place ashore seeing their town.
Old 16-06-2015, 19:18   #6

Also what are you calling '' out islands '' in the bahamas? Where and what are those?

Thanks everyone.
Old 16-06-2015, 19:55   #7

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Interesting, I have never been able to just pull in for a couple of hours, visit, maybe have lunch and leave for the next place. There was never enough hours in the day for that. Plan on only one stop per day unless you are the flash!
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 20:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor75 View Post
Also what are you calling '' out islands '' in the bahamas? Where and what are those?

Thanks everyone.
Out Islands generally are Bahamian islands other than New Providence and Grand Bahama. A vast majority (probably > 90%) of Bahamians live either in Freeport or Nassau. From a US perspective, you probably wouldn't include Bimini just because of proximity and local culture -- though it is an Out Island from a Bahamian perspective.

A kind of synonymous term is Family Islands but that is often perceived more to associate with local culture rather than population density, administrative capacity or geographic location.
Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 04:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cylinder.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 18:24   #10

Thanks everyone
Old 18-06-2015, 05:45   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder View Post
Out Islands generally are Bahamian islands other than New Providence and Grand Bahama. A vast majority (probably > 90%) of Bahamians live either in Freeport or Nassau. From a US perspective, you probably wouldn't include Bimini just because of proximity and local culture -- though it is an Out Island from a Bahamian perspective.

A kind of synonymous term is Family Islands but that is often perceived more to associate with local culture rather than population density, administrative capacity or geographic location.
The farther away from Nassau the more "out" are the out islands lol.
The Exumas and the Abacos are getting so popular they aren't very "out" anymore.

Tags
dock, Docking