Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 12:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46'
Best marina in Chesapeake

Sailing up to Chesapeake Bay at the end of June. First time exploring the big bay. From what I’m reading it looks like an amazing place. We plan on sailing 1-2 weeks a month before heading back down to the Caribbean in Dec. any advice on what sites to see first (must see) and what marina would be best in terms of location for access and deep 7’ draft. Also, interested in maybe a newer marina with amenities. I figured best to ask some locals for advice. Thanks in advance.
Blackacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 13:30   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Best marina in Chesapeake

It IS a big bay! A mooring in Annapolis is cheap and gives you access to the Naval Academy and easy rides to almost everywhere. Jabin's is nearby if you want a marina with services, laundry etc. Plenty of other choices, but I'd start there.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 14:38   #3

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

I had a boat in Annapolis for a few years and LOVED returning home using the Naval Academy Chapel Steeple as my landmark entering the Severn. Great area with lots of good marinas with service, and restaurants. Very active racing scene.

Most impressive I've seen below the bay bridge in MD has been Herrington Harbor North about 10(?) miles south of Annapolis on the western shore. Impressive hard area, I think 5 lifts of various size and even a West Marine onsite as well. Very eco-minded.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:05   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46'

Thanks. I was thinking Annapolis area would be the best place to secure a slip due to its central location and access to services, stores and transportation. The entire area is unfamiliar to me so correct me if I have that wrong.
Blackacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:14   #5

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

I believe there is a good environment of marine facilities in the Annapolis/Baltimore side of the Chesapeake as well as some great marinas and faciities on the eastern shore as well. We've had boats over the last 30 years from 10 miles norht to 10 miles south of the Bay Bridge and been happy with availability of service and stores. First year will be a good time to sail around and research. I think you will find something that suits your needs in this area with no problem.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:52   #6

If you head up to the Northern Part, the Sassafras River is a great deep water river. Try Georgetown Yacht Basin, They have a nice pool, marine store and the Kitty Night House is a great Restaurant. There are also 2 other restaurants within walking distance.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:28   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I’d give a shout out for Hartge Yacht Harbor, Galesville Md. Beautiful spot, protected with a great staff and nice facilities. Cost is also a bit less since it’s below Annapolis! Highly recommended. Tell Buddy or Mike that Lee sent you (hopefully they won’t throw something at you!) 🤪
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:39   #8

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber
Thumbs up Re: Best marina in Chesapeake

I'm partial to Port Annapolis Marina on Back Creek. Friendly staff and great facilities. However you will need to double check the sounding since your drawing 7', it has been a few years and I don't remember the depth in Back Creek.
Vartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:42   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Right as you come into the bay from the South in Little Creek, there are a few marinas.

Bay Point has just been refitted and is quite nice.

Everything you need is nearby even Cobb's Boatyard and Marina but their marina is usually full

The Navy Base will be sure you are awake by 0800 when they play morning colors for the flag raising.

https://www.baypointmarinanorfolk.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:45   #10

In Baltimore - Fell's Point (historic), Canton (suburban-ish), and the Inner Harbor (touristy) all have facilities and are nice to visit. You can take a water taxi to Fort Mchenry. Walk or ride a bike or scooter around the Promenade, which is a mostly uninteruppted path around the entire water front. There is also the free but limited Charm City Circulator bus system that can get you around. It's a cool city depending on what kind of adventure you're looking for.

If you happen to be here on the last Friday of any month then there is also Baltimore Bike Party. It's about a 10 mile family friendly bike ride through the city. Let me know if you happen to end up here for that. I'll happily get you to the start of the ride. It is a great way to get a snapshot of the city as a whole and the people that it's made of. Quite the experience.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:50   #11

If you are looking for transient space, the Maryland Yacht Club off of Rock creek (south side of Patapsco River outside of the Key Bridge up by Baltimore) may be a decent staging Spot. Protected water, good fuel prices, laundry and showers are Good.....very hood for running either north or south!
KaLu Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:12   #12
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

I second Herrington Harbour. We've had our boat there for several years. All services are on premises. Family owned, it's one of the largest marina's on the Bay. They have a North and South location a few miles apart. We are at North. Both marina sites have a pool, bikes, restaurants, and are "eco friendly". It's about 10 miles South of Annapolis, but without the constant "business" of Annapolis. Having hung out on moorings in Annapolis, I can tell you that there is a lot of marine traffic, and subsequent wakes , noise etc. Herrington N. is very quiet in that regard.

If you wind up at Herrington N., we are on B dock, B-46. Our boat is SWEETWATER, a 45'green hull yawl. Stop on by, or PM me if you need any other info about Herrington.
BTW, all of the marina choices given above are good places..... depends on what you are looking for in a marina.
mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:36   #13

Anchorage Marina in Baltimore has recently gone through some major renovations and upgrades. Sorry, I meant to mention this one specifically in my first post.

https://www.anchoragemarina.com/
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:06   #14

Boat: Jefferson, MY, 46

It all depends on what you’re looking for . Your lifestyle will determine where you want to be there’s great places both Western shore and Eastern shore ! The biggest problem I see you having is your 7 foot draft; I had a guy next to me that brought his boat from the West Coast with a job transfer and he had a 7 foot draft Saber and after being here for a month he said he wished he had left the boat on the west coast and bought a boat with a shallower draft here but the Bay is like no place else ! Good luck with your adventure. It will take more than one season to explore the Chesapeake Bay
Just Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:11   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've had great experiences at all the places listed above! When considering adding one of the best to the list, I'd recommend the Holiday Inn Marina at Solomons Island on the Patuxent River.