Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Cheap Chesapeake Marina?

I'm bringing my Tayana 37 with 5'9" draft up to the Ches and looking for a cheap marina for a few months until hurricane season ends.

With the objective word being cheap, does anyone have any suggestions where I might look or whom to contact? I don't need much in the way of ammenities, just food shoppng relatively close by.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cliff
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I don't need much in the way of amenities, just food shopping relatively close by.
How relative? Around here the cheapest I know of is the link below. It's about 5 miles from my house in Mobjack Bay. It's actually a good place with a large travel lift, bath house, small store but no pool. It's within 5 miles of shopping and nothing else at all in between. It's 20 minutes drive to Newport News.

Severn River Marina Home

It[s also a good place to get work done if you need it or a place you can haul and do all your own. The yard is huge and the slips are fixed not floating. Not sure what the rates are now There area couple live aboards there too. Since it's not near anything the issue of security is not a problem.

To get cheaper you would need a private deal at a private slip. There isn't much south of here let alone many that can do 5-9 draft. Other places you might like better would be more money. You could get in and out of there any tide. There are not that many options for draft. The other really cheap places you couldn't get to on high tide.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15   #3

What part of the chesapeake are you interested in?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 14:54   #4

Same question as motion30.
The farther you get north of Annapolis the cheaper it is. You might call Markley's Marina in Middle River. There is a slip next to me that is vacant and has been for awhile and should be less than $180-$190/month for a 37 footer. You would be fine with 5'9" draft.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 16:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The farther you get north of Annapolis the cheaper it is.
Actually, the farther south of Maryland you go the cheaper it is until you get to the James River. Any place is cheaper than Annapolis. Very nice place to go to but I wouldn't want to pay for a slip there. VA eastern shore is pretty cheap but it basically is close enough to the end of the earth that you can see it from there (nice place to cruise to though). There are also a few places on the VA Potomac that may be a good deal too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote