Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 14:47   #1

79th Street Basin-Manhattan

Anyone stayed here recently and if so any advice/issues? I was watching Drake Paragon's experience with them on Youtube and it seems the marina is a wee bit short on competition and thus customer service.
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 15:02   #2

Re: 79th Street Basin-Manhattan

79th Street is run by the parks department if that helps explain it. I believe Liberty Landing across the shore in Jersey has year round transient slips and has fairly easy access to downtown Manhattan via ferry or PATH train.

If you're just passing through or looking for a place to wait for the tide I can recommend a cozy anchorage that's little known and free. Also here's a list of marinas from Noonsite.

New York — Noonsite
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 16:04   #3

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

Its been a few a years but with a secure dingy dock and a free washer dryer its the best and cheapest way to access the big apple. Close to everything a friendly pub and after being on the southern coast truely amazing groceries right there. Highly recommended. Catching a mooring when the tide is running takes some practice and gloves.
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:17   #4

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Haven't stayed at 79th Street Basin but stayed at Liberty Landing for the last two years and it's fantastic. If it's open, I'd go there.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:23   #5

It's the cheapest place to get a transient mooring and see Manhattan. But there are caveats. Be aware that the tide is running up to 3 knots, so you need a reliable outboard if you are on a mooring. There is minimal customer service and facilities since the marina is run by the city. Expect wakes from passing ferries and debris and branches floating in the Hudson. Not a quiet and calm place. But it 's only around $35 per day and you are right on the Upper West Side.
Liberty Landing is top notch marina with a ferry to Manhattan and priced accordingly.
PM me as well if you want to know about a good anchorage in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Crui
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 05:12   #6

Thanks for the responses. Calm seas to all for 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 05:57   #7

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Well priced and well located, but it's bouncy and you need the right weather, We got spring tides with circa 20 knot southerly winds there and deemed it unsafe to even launch the dinghy and get ashore; we went back to Port Washington, anchored there and commuted into NY by train.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:53   #8

Boat: 36' Mao Ta cutter, Marblehead gunning dory

I'm wondering if there are any current liveaboards at the 79th Street Marina who visit this forum? I'm looking into signing up for the waitlist to live aboard in a Manhattan marina for winter 2017-18--I'm attending grad school in the city and I think it's the only way I'll be able to afford housing. I know living aboard here has been controversial in recent years. My NYC friends say it's a long waitlist, and I'm trying to figure out the process, but the parks website is a bit opaque.

From my research, it's the most likely liveaboard winter marina, but are there any others I should consider? Thanks to this forum, I'll look on the Jersey side, too.

Any inside information is appreciated--feel free to PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 13:17   #9

Call them, they can tell you how long the wait is, but last time I checked it was years.
Port Washington has marinas with liveaboards ( Manhasset Bay Marina) in the winter. It's only a 35 min train ride to Penn St.
Closer by is Liberty Landing Marina but that is likely to be pricier but they have a socially active liveaboard community
Old 10-03-2016, 13:22   #10

Some people tie up in Newtown Creek on the Queen's side. Check it out on google maps satellite view. Free but tough in the winter.
Old 10-03-2016, 14:59   #11

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Where are you going to grad school? My daughter is attending The Graduate Center which is part of CUNY and she was able to get into Graduate Center housing which is up on 118th Street in East Harlem. It's just over $1000 a month for her plus about $20 a month for electric. I wonder if other grad schools have similar housing.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 15:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
Some people tie up in Newtown Creek on the Queen's side. Check it out on google maps satellite view. Free but tough in the winter.
I've heard things about Newtown Creek. Things like folks around there are very territorial, and that there have been fist fights.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote