Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 19:56   #1
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Cruisers Forum Supporters

We are please to announce the ability for members to show their support for our community by upgrading your account to a "Cruisers Forum Supporter". By upgrading you will benefit from more features such as:

- Ability to purchase branded merchandise (including burgees) at our cost
- Unlimited PM Space
- Larger Avatar: 125 x125
- More profile album photos allowed (1,000)
- Add a photo in your signature (600x100 pixels)
- More space for customized signatures (up to 5 lines)
- A warm fuzzy feeling for helping support our community and our sister sites such as the Open Source Cruisers Wiki.
- More features and reasons to upgrade will be announced in the future...

Keep in mind, our community will remain free for all members.
This is an optional upgrade and not required for participation.

As this program matures we are hoping to work deals with vendors to offer discounts to upgraded members as well. We hope that in the long run we will be able to create a significant amount of value that it will be a no brainer to go ahead and support our community by upgrading. For example if you can get 10% off your order at a certain vendor which will save you $100 it's more then worth it to spend the $14.95 to upgrade and get your personal coupon code. The program is still young so please be patient as we work to add new products and perks to this offering. If you don't see the value in upgrading at this time just wait and hopefully we will be able to create enough value that will entice you to upgrade as the program matures.

At this time the only branded merchandise we have are the beautiful high quality burgees that we had made. The cost to purchase a burgee will be $50.00 for regular members and $25.01 for supporting members (our cost) which includes shipping. Our plan is to also have t-shirts, Polos and other branded swag made from similarly high quality suppliers and offer those at cost to members who upgrade.

We plan to give-a-way a significant amount of account upgrades to members who make significant contributions to the forums, photo gallery, refer other sailors to our site and submit content to CruisersWiki.org. To launch the program we have upgraded a considerable amount of accounts based on tenure, post count, and some other undisclosed metrics used in an algorithm as a way of saying 'thank you' to these members for their significant contributions to the community to date.

I will post a more detailed overview of this program along with a comparison of the features & the e-commerce page where burgees can be ordered in the near future.

The upgrade is processed through PayPal and is setup as an annual subscription that recurs annually. If you do not want to continue to support our community for a 2nd year, all you have to do is cancel the subscription and our system will be notified by PayPal when the year is over and your account will be changed back.

The introductory cost of the Supporting Member upgrade is a modest $15.01/year. If you spend just 30 minutes a week on our community that equates to only $.58 per hour. Funds from this program help offset costs for new features such as our free Smart Phone apps and hosting of the Open Source CruisersWiki.org.

Keep in mind, our community will remain free for all members.
This is an optional upgrade and not required for participation.

I will update this post in the next week with links to upgrade your account, buy burgees and more details about the extra perks our Supporting Members get with their account upgrade.

Old 27-01-2011, 20:02   #2

Very cool. Thanks.
Old 27-01-2011, 20:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
ah ha does stuff like this count for a noddy badge?
UK sailor Alex Bond saves 24 starving Kanton islanders during voyage to Australia | Mail Online
www.dailymail.co.uk Alex Bond, from Penryn, Cornwall, docked the yacht Mary Powell at Kanton Island - an atoll between Hawaii and Fiji - where he was met by extraordinary scenes.
Old 27-01-2011, 20:17   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
To launch the program we have upgraded a considerable amount of accounts based on tenure, post count, and some other undisclosed metrics used in an algorithm as a way of saying 'thank you' to these members for their significant contributions to the community to date.
You're very welcome, Andy. I appreciate your way of thanking the forum supporters who to this point have made it such a vibrant community.
Old 27-01-2011, 20:27   #5
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
As I mentioned in the original post, I used an algorithm to identify members who would get a free upgrade. It included various metrics that we have available to identify members who have made very significant contributions to our community. We will be running various give-a-ways and other opportunities for members to earn free upgrades. Stay tuned for more details...
Old 27-01-2011, 21:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Thank you Andy, this is very much appreciated.
Old 27-01-2011, 21:29   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'
Thanks for the upgrade, I feel that I am the one who has benefited most from being a part of the forum.
Old 27-01-2011, 21:34   #8

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I'm honored, Andy - thanks. This has come to feel like my cruising home on the web, and it's a pleasure to be a part of it!
Old 27-01-2011, 22:15   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Many thanks, but I have benefitted from the forum more than the forum has benefitted from me.
Old 27-01-2011, 22:22   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
thankyou andy--i dont know what i did to earn this , but i will keep doing that... whatever it is.. kinda cool waking up with a green pillow under yer feets while in a sailboat on a sunny day ........ oh yes and what curmudgeon sed^^^
Old 27-01-2011, 23:14   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393
Geez...and all the while I thought we supported CF by contributing posts we thought were worthwhile. Kinda cliquish, too. Methinks I need a break from CF. Perhaps I'll just lurk for a while. Bye Bye for awhile. Best wishes-
Old 27-01-2011, 23:23   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Geez...and all the while I thought we supported CF by contributing posts we thought were worthwhile. Kinda cliquish, too. Methinks I need a break from CF. Perhaps I'll just lurk for a while. Bye Bye for awhile. Best wishes-
And therein lies the fly in the ointment. Computers are good at applying metrics that are without any qualitative measure.

Old 28-01-2011, 01:56   #13

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
I agree with Geopowers. This is a step too far.
Pity your algorithms can't measure the quality of posts rather than the quantity.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 28-01-2011, 02:03   #14
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I also Thanks you for the upgrade, I feel that I am the one who has benefited most from being a part of the forum.
Old 28-01-2011, 02:07   #15

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdykes View Post
I agree with Geopowers. This is a step too far.
Pity your algorithms can't measure the quality of posts rather than the quantity.

Cheers
Cliff
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the quality was being measured by the quantity of thanks, and that quantity of post played a smaller role in the algorithm.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, But you never please all of the people all of the time"

A. Lincoln