Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2022, 09:33   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40
What to do about this fool anchoring too close?

What to do about this #@%!?

I've had problems with this guy. Called another friend on mooring because twice I bumped his boat off the other with the inflatable when the wind changed.

He moved his boat where mine would swing. Blew air horn 5 times at 6am to back off. Wouldn't move but tied a rope to shore (not allowed here). Huge squall come through at 10am then the bump followed by 40 knots.

I've already been to the police... can't help. Told me I could go to the courthouse and stand in front of magistrate but part legal fees if unsuccessful. Coast guard has no jurisdiction. Maritime said they can't do much. Only laws for moored vessels. I can't move because I'm working on the engine.

It's 3am. Tired. Just spent 2 hours in squalls fending off a different boat that the fool also put too close to me. It took some damage with it's rail torn off along side me. A bunch of holes where my boat hook shoved it away. It dragged off into the night now after I attached my other anchor to pull it away and sideways. Hopefully it ends up on the beach, not another boat and I get my anchor back.

(In Australia)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220226_030451_01.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	253569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220226_030457_01.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	253570  

WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 09:38   #2

Re: What to do about this fool anchoring too close?

I've had very little luck convincing people to move. Your best bet is to move.

Your other option would be to pay out some scope and raft the two boats together.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 09:40   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The best answer, but the answer you don’t want to hear is weigh your anchor and go somewhere else. Get out of the melee.

Yes, you might have the right to be there because you were there first, but it’s just not worth it. It’s not worth the damage to your boat. Collect yourself, think clearly, and just get away from these idiots.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 09:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The best answer, but the answer you don’t want to hear is weigh your anchor and go somewhere else. Get out of the melee.

Yes, you might have the right to be there because you were there first, but it’s just not worth it. It’s not worth the damage to your boat. Collect yourself, think clearly, and just get away from these idiots.
The problem with "I was here first" is that is not enforceable. That is a concept only honored by 'gentlemen'.
Old 25-02-2022, 09:50   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Doesn't look like he's going anywhere soon with no rig. Owners not aboard either boat? Not clear what happened with your anchor. There's no Harbormaster? Ours is authorized to move boats that are causing problems like this. Barring that, moving will let them damage some other boat instead of yours.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 09:56   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40

The suggestions to move are right but there's a flooding event happening right now and I am doing engine work. Not ideal timing.

There's nothing wrong with my anchor. I haven't dragged. The second anchor I attached to the other boat that hit in the night.

He's a pest of a wino with no rig. His motor works fine though. He's onboard, the other not.

I think I spoke to the harbor master yesterday. He said he call the guy. I'll have to wait until morning.

Being there first not being enforceable and creating a maritime incident are different I'm thinking.
WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 10:13   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The problem with "I was here first" is that is not enforceable. That is a concept only honored by 'gentlemen'.
Of which there are definitely less and less.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 10:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Doesn't look like he's going anywhere soon with no rig. Owners not aboard either boat? Not clear what happened with your anchor. There's no Harbormaster? Ours is authorized to move boats that are causing problems like this. Barring that, moving will let them damage some other boat instead of yours.
Where I anchor, many of the anchorages are very tight. When a boat gets moved by the harbor master, it's the boat in front, not the boat in back. They don't care about 'who was there first'. Moving the boat in front is the easiest and the safest, so that is what they do.

If a jerk anchors too close in front, then you go into town or the beach, wind or tide reverses 180 degrees and now you're right on top of that boat. You're boats gets towed away, placed on a mooring and you get billed for the 'salvage' and the night's stay on the mooring (whether you stay the night or not).
Old 25-02-2022, 10:17   #9

Quote:
Where I anchor, many of the anchorages are very tight. When a boat gets moved by the harbor master, it's the boat in front, not the boat in back. They don't care about 'who was there first'. Moving the boat in front is the easiest and the safest, so that is what they do.

If a jerk anchors too close in front, then you go into town or the beach, wind or tide reverses 180 degrees and now you're right on top of that boat. You're boats gets towed away, placed on a mooring and you get billed for the 'salvage' and the night's stay on the mooring (whether you stay the night or not).
Based on the OP's picture, it would be the OP that potentially gets towed and billed a salvage if he's not on the vessel....in my area.
Old 25-02-2022, 10:33   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldPinkler View Post
... I can't move because I'm working on the engine....

Yes you can. It's call kedging. It's just inconvenient and you should not have to.

But a seamanship says "avoid collisions."
Old 25-02-2022, 10:36   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Based on the OP's picture, it would be the OP that potentially gets towed and billed a salvage if he's not on the vessel....in my area.
Can you explain what, in the photographs, led you to that conclusion?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 10:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Can you explain what, in the photographs, led you to that conclusion?
In the OP's signature, he lists his vessel as "Pacific Seacraft Creala 40".

In the OP's post, there is only one Pacific Seacraft Creala 40. It is the forward of the two boats. If a call was made to the harbor master or a tow company in the conditions in the picture, there would be two options:

1) If the vessel in front is occupied, the occupant is advised to move their vessel.

2) If the vessel in front is UNoccupied (or if both vessels are unoccupied), the vessel is front is moved to a mooring and sent a bill.
Old 25-02-2022, 10:53   #13

Sounds like a popular place.
letsgetsailing3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:02   #14

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Would be a crying shame if his seacock failed.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 11:28   #15

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Here is a land based analogy that tells you how I would handle this.

If a car parks in front of my house and blocks my driveway on a residential street that otherwise lacks "No Parking" signs, they technically are not breaking the law but have become a real ass. I assure you that car would not be blocking my driveway for very long. It would get moved one way or the other.

Tags
anchor, anchoring