Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2022, 23:16   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40
Re: What to do about this fool anchoring too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
What he needs to do is to get the harbor master to come when the wind is blowing the right way. Tricky.
The harbor master has no boat and the fool has no phone. Apparently he has a new one which I'll have to find the number.
WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 23:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Curiosity: where are you anchored? Your avatar says Noosa... if so, where exactly?

Jim
It's Woods Bay.
Old 25-02-2022, 23:24   #33

My solution is to borrow a metal dinghy and fender it to the side of my boat. Protects me and damages him. The wind will change north in a couple of days then likely swing towards.

Sick of this nonsense. 2 hours last night in the rain shoving off a different boat and ripping his stanchions off. It dragged afterwards puncturing a friend's boat.

I'll have my motor operational to avoid that complication.
Old 26-02-2022, 00:48   #34

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldPinkler View Post
My solution is to borrow a metal dinghy and fender it to the side of my boat. Protects me and damages him. The wind will change north in a couple of days then likely swing towards.

Sick of this nonsense. 2 hours last night in the rain shoving off a different boat and ripping his stanchions off. It dragged afterwards puncturing a friend's boat.

I'll have my motor operational to avoid that complication.
If that dinghy damages his boat what I expect to happen is that your insurance will pay for his damages and you will be repaying your insurance company.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 02:00   #35

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If that dinghy damages his boat what I expect to happen is that your insurance will pay for his damages and you will be repaying your insurance company.

Depending on the policy wording, if there is no damage to the insured person’s boat but the insured boat (includes a dinghy of part of the policy) damaged another boat, then it’s unlikely but possible that the insured person has to pay the insurance company for the amount paid to the other party. If that is your policy wording then get a new policy - you shouldn’t have to pay if there’s no damage to your boat.

However, they will pay more on renewing the policy.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 02:06   #36

Boat: Island Packet 40

The ferals in that part of the world are notorious for being vengeful and vindictive and unless they interfere with commercial operations the authorities are reluctant to stir them up.

A few days ago a boat caught fire a couple of hundred yards from where I was moored. A couple of the young ferals had stolen a dingy and poured gas into the cockpit and threw a match in. Motive not yet identified but it's the sort of thing they get up to if you annoy them.
Old 26-02-2022, 02:34   #37

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Depending on the policy wording, if there is no damage to the insured person’s boat but the insured boat (includes a dinghy of part of the policy) damaged another boat, then it’s unlikely but possible that the insured person has to pay the insurance company for the amount paid to the other party. If that is your policy wording then get a new policy - you shouldn’t have to pay if there’s no damage to your boat.

However, they will pay more on renewing the policy.
Don't know about Australia but here you generally have to do your best to avoid damage or further damage and you certainly can't intentionally cause damage and expect your insurance company to pay for it.
In this case he knows another boat will swing in to him but does nothing about it
The second boat I'm not clear what happened but I suspect he did swing into that boat as well but no matter how it happens he then makes a few holes in it with a boat hook, then attaches his anchor so that boat starts dragging and again does nothing about it.
Finally he has put a metal dinghy on the side of his boat with express purpose of damaging the other boat!
I don't expect any insurance company to be out of pocket in this case specially since he posts the details on the net
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 03:16   #38

Really, I've been anchored in the same position for months. No issues.

Last night a boat dragged then bashed into me for 2 hours. I tried anchoring it off me but by morning it had dragged again into a friend. I was too wet, cold and tired to watch it further. I untied my stern anchor and it slowly dragged onto another friend on the next squall. I had told that person he was too close twice but never moved. Anyhow, this issue is solved after he ended up on the beach and harbor master called him. I didn't drag him there. 30 knots does that. I was actually sitting on his boat fending it off the friend's boat when he arrived.

The other one is a trouble maker that has continuously made issues which I've tried ignoring. He was standing up in his dinghy looking in my window the night before. Another yachtie told me he was taking pictures of his wife in the carpark intimidating her. Even his girlfriend left today to move in a house to get distance from him. I've never instigated a thing. He's also damaged my other yacht with his dinghy outboard bashing into mine. Then anchoring his boat on top of me causing a collision.

I'm putting the dinghy there to protect me and be damned with his boat.
Old 26-02-2022, 04:23   #39

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

So what’s the status on those engine parts?

Sounds like you’re anchored in a rubbish heap (trash dump).

Remind me to put that place on my “must never see” list.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 04:33   #40

Boat: Island Packet 40

A pragmatist would say: "I may technically be in the right to stand my ground, but it's not worth the aggravation, or the potential serious damage to my boat. So, I'm moving to safer location".

A dogmatist would say: "I was here first. I'm not budging, come hell or high water! I don't care how many times I have to fend off this guy's boat. It's the principle of the thing!"

When it's 2:00am, and it's raining, and the wind and waves are kicking up, the dogmatist will be out on his deck in his pjs trying to fend off this guy's boat yet once again. And his principles will be completely ineffective at protecting his boat or keeping him dry, or providing him a good night's sleep.

Meanwhile, the pragmatist's boat will be safe and secure, damage-free, because early on when he realized that "the fool" wasn't going to move or properly secure his boat, he did the sensible and practical thing, and he moved his boat out of harm's way.

The approach you've been taking thus far hasn't worked....so it's probably time for a different approach. Just move your boat. Problem solved.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 10:15   #41

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

You have a mask, snorkel, and fins? Sometimes anchors pull out. It’s an unfortunate occurrence, but it can happen.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 10:41   #42
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Yes. You're only burdened when boats are in contact with one another. When this occurs, it is the one in front that is moved.

Irrelevant. The boats are not underway so those rules are not applicable.

The boat that was there first has the right to a clear berth. Case law upholds this... unless you dragged. And you can never prove that someone didn't drag, so it does not help much.
Old 26-02-2022, 14:53   #43

Boat: Chapparel Signature 24

Fools think like fools and are not worth it. It will be easier for you to move, even though it is not fight. If you have enough hands, and the wind is calm, use your dingy to tow or strap it to the hind quarter and move your boat to safety.
tomcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 15:04   #44

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
...And you can never prove that someone didn't drag, so it does not help much.
Actually, you can prove it, if you have your GPS track. But it still doesn't help much. Unless someone gets badly hurt, this isn't likely to go to court. It would have to be a pretty high-profile case for the court to even care who dragged and who didn't.

Cruisers have social norms, but an anchored, live-aboard community is likely to have their own. It's not my place to judge those norms. I've met some great people in those places. And some not-so-great ones.

(I'd never heard the term "feral" used in this context before, but I think I like it. It's not as derogatory as some others I've heard. It implies a degree of freedom, which I think a lot of them would relate to.)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 15:05   #45

Boat: Pearson 10M

I think you could make good use of some fender boards.
you'll need to put fenders between the board and your boat of course.
The board will need to be as big and strong as you can reasonably handle.

It would be unfortunate if his anchor rhode chafed through.

And as others have said as soon as the engine is fixed get the F out of there.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring