Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08   #106

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Shotgun and rifle ownership is permitted in the uk to persons who are psychologically vetted and vouched for by a legally binding signatory of enhanced standing in the community who can prove your aquaintance with them for several years. (doctor, lawyer, judge, MP, minister etc) Doctors permission is also needed before you are interviewed and the place where the guns are kept is visited and you must keep them in a police approved storage cabinet with ammo and firing bolt locked separately. The cabinet must be bolted to a masonary wall within your home out of view. Guns cannot be modified or have barrels shorter than 24'' and not hold more than 3 shells or have auto reloading actions. ie, pump, bolt action or break open only

In the case of rifles further more stringent checks are done, more restrictions such as you have to show good reason for needing to own the weapon, provide proof of where it will be used, ie, a land owners permission to shoot on that land and the amount of ammunition you wish to buy and use and hold in a year must be stipulated. A weapon type and cal must also be stipulated on the license application and thats the only type/s your alowed. You cannot lend, sell, rent out to anyone else without filling paperwork and notifying the officer who licensed you.

No hand guns are permitted at all, not even to olympic sports people. Our Olympic handgun shooting team have to train in France.

The criminals on the other hand, .............well thats a different story.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15   #107

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Ah! Thanks for the update! Well, all is not lost. At least some are able to retain their firearms. Read about the Olympic shooting team, that sucks.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34   #108

Caution

A Devon yachtsman who kept a sawn-off shotgun for protection against piracy has been jailed for a year.

Nicholas Tomory, 56, of Exminister, admitted having the pump-action Beretta on board his yacht in Brixham harbour.
His defence lawyer said Tomory intended to sail to the South Pacific and may need the weapon if he "encountered some problems in international waters".
Exeter Crown Court was told "piracy is not a myth", but this was rejected by the judge who said: "Not in Brixham."

'Weapons carried'

The prohibited gun was found on board Tomory's boat, VX Acora, when it was raided by UK Border Agency officers last October.
Defence lawyer Mary McCarthy told the court it was "well known in the yachting community that weapons of this type are carried".
But Judge Graham Cottle said the boat builder father, who had no previous convictions, had possessed the gun for 20 years after disarming a man at a party in Bristol.

Tomory faced a mandatory five year jail sentence, but this was reduced to 12 months by Judge Graham Cottle.
"I accept you had no criminal intent in relation to that weapon." the judge told Tomory.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC News - Devon yachtsman jailed for 'piracy protection' shotgun

Published: 2010/03/01 14:21:27 GMT
drifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:48   #109
Armchair Bucketeer

Different gun ownership rules in this little corner of the UK - from handguns to heavy calibre weaponary (albeit my feeling is that if you need a tripod, or a truck , to mount the weapon you probably also need a shrink ).

Anyone know what the procedure is for visiting mainland UK whilst carrying weaponary? Report on arrival? / notify in advance? and do they remove from the vessel or seal onboard when in port?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:54   #110

David, my advice is, check it out BEFORE you set sail, not when you arrive.
There are procedures for exporting and transporting guns abroad. Shooters who like to take their Purdeys or Holland and Hollands over seas for sport shooting can do so legitimately but I dont know the form.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:03   #111
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
David, my advice is, check it out BEFORE you set sail, not when you arrive.

Yeah, I was planning on doing that Just wondering aloud if any folks from other countries (no names ) had experiances in the UK.

Of course if a visit did require notification in advance, could have a bit of fun with that
Old 01-03-2010, 12:56   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
David,

You just want to call the PM's office and say "I am on my way and I am bringing my guns!"

That should get you the right people involved.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:16   #113

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Like the UK version of Special Forces or the ATF. Or the navy! LOL!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:17   #114

MI5 and MI6
Old 01-03-2010, 13:33   #115
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
MI5 and MI6
Shhhh

Will try and compose an appropriate e-mail over the next few months..........will let folks know the response
Old 01-03-2010, 13:36   #116
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You know, so much has been said, But I think the following apply

(a) This topic is generally only seen on US forums
(b) The concensus is that the hassle of complying with local laws makes it a pain to carry a firearm on board
(c) In general its not much use anyway, if thoese attacking you have them your already dead
(d) The world and its people are generally OK.

Next!
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:43   #117
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The gun laws in Holland are much the same as in the UK except we can still have hand guns. When attending a competition in the UK, all that's needed is the paper showing you entered that competition and you declare the gun(s) & ammo on the airport while checking it, showing your license etc. They react like if it's a suitcase with T-shirts and underwear so I guess it's done often.

But entering the UK by private yacht is very different of course. Normally, when you declare it upon entering in any country, they will return it when you leave but what happens in between is different everywhere, even among ports of the same country or the officer involved. Flare guns same thing, not allowed.

I know the USA requires paperwork done in advance but that is the only exception that I am aware of. If you don't prepare it all correctly, they will confiscate the gun permanently, even if it's a shotgun.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 14:37   #118
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Of all the nations I visted by Boat , The US is the most bureaucratic and has some of the harshest penalties, funny isnt it.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You know, so much has been said, But I think the following apply

(a) This topic is generally only seen on US forums
(b) The concensus is that the hassle of complying with local laws makes it a pain to carry a firearm on board
(c) In general its not much use anyway, if thoese attacking you have them your already dead
(d) The world and its people are generally OK.

Next!
Shhh. Your logic is taking away all their fun!