Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2008, 06:50   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
So how does this work?

If my permanent residence is in NJ and my vessel is registered in NJ, and I decide to cruise the chesapeake bay for 90 days or more I may have to pay an excise tax?

How is it assesed? who monitors, if you're on the move?

I can see this, if you're tied up to a dock for 3 months or more using the boat as a condo.....how would they track someone who moves every week?

curious.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 07:40   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
So how does this work?

If my permanent residence is in NJ and my vessel is registered in NJ, and I decide to cruise the chesapeake bay for 90 days or more I may have to pay an excise tax?

I can see this, if you're tied up to a dock for 3 months or more using the boat as a condo.....how would they track someone who moves every week?

curious.

Everyone goes into some kind of database now days. If you are moving around and stay on the hook it is much more difficult for them to keep track of you but not impossible. Does not matter where your residence is or registration. Once "they" determine or even believe you have been in the state for the period of time you will receive a tax bill or will be subject to a fine for not paying their fee and you might receive a citation for not paying. Then it is up to you to prove otherwise and not them. No one said it is fair but as I said before states are getting desperate for any income.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 07:53   #18

Boat: Knysna 480
Having experienced this same phenomenon after taking delivery of my new boat in Fort Lauderdale I received a tax bill equal to about 6% of the boat's purchase price after staying 91 days. Shortly thereafter I moved to Puerto Rico which was my plan in the first place. I always wondered what people in Florida do. Do you receive a use tax year after year or is it a one time tax? In my case, I received the bill for several months and it finally went away. If you are not a resident of Florida what kind of "teeth" do the tax collectors have to collect said fees. Do they confiscate your boat? It all seems rather random to me.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 08:02   #19

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
AND... I just paid next year's registration to Florida for my 40 footer. The fee DOUBLED, yes DOUBLED to $130! DOUBLED! I thought I was informed, but it DOUBLED!
Old 25-12-2008, 08:07   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
The answer simply is Yes

Chances are they will not catch you. You must also realize that the time is 90 days....it isn't consecutive days...it is 90 day total for the year.
To keep scofflaws from staying 85 days then crossing into VA or Delaware and coming back.

Quote:
So how does this work?

curious.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 08:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrendemd View Post
Having experienced this same phenomenon after taking delivery of my new boat in Fort Lauderdale I received a tax bill equal to about 6% of the boat's purchase price after staying 91 days. Shortly thereafter I moved to Puerto Rico which was my plan in the first place. I always wondered what people in Florida do. Do you receive a use tax year after year or is it a one time tax? In my case, I received the bill for several months and it finally went away. If you are not a resident of Florida what kind of "teeth" do the tax collectors have to collect said fees. Do they confiscate your boat? It all seems rather random to me.
Depends on how aggressive they are. It usually shows up when you try to sell the boat and find it has a lien placed against it the you did not know about. In the more extreme your vessel can be arrested and all moneys owed including legal fess, etc must be paid before it is returned to you. I have not heard of the latter happening but be aware it is a possibility. I would also be wary of taking it back into Floriduh to test what they can do.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-12-2008, 08:12   #22
Eternal Member

I was the Chief on a yacht

that was purchased in Fort Liquordale.....we were there for 6 months doing refit work etc.......at the time, any boat that was in a yard was not liabe for the tax....but...the day before we were to leave the owner got a ginormous bill.......we had to prove that the vessel was being worked on....fortunately (this time) the anal retentive owner had every receipt etc. The Tax Bill IIRC was around $60,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrendemd View Post
Old 25-12-2008, 09:12   #23

Anyone know what the excise tax is Maryland or elsewhere is? $$
What kind of money are we talking about?
Based on Value? Size? Duration? combo of above?

Chief...$60,000...How big was that Yacht?...
Old 25-12-2008, 09:26   #24

Maryland is 5% of the purchase price or fair market value if they don't believe your purchase price. All other states are some percentage of these and vary by state. Virginia and South Carolina also impose an annual personal property tax which is what South Carolina is going after right now. The excise "fee" is a one time thing, the property tax is annual. Be aware the marinas in Virginia are required to report boats being there longer than the allowed time period.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-12-2008, 09:32   #25

Thanks Chuck,

5 %...wow! That's alot of beer...
Old 25-12-2008, 13:36   #26

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
We have heard that this permit will extend the Florida 90 day limit - SOJOURNERS PERMIT. Not sure, but it is discussed on CRUISERSNET.NET in detail. We have downloaded the forms.
Old 26-12-2008, 08:04   #27
Eternal Member

85 foot Ketch

Purchase price was around a million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
that was purchased in Fort Liquordale.....we were there for 6 months doing refit work etc.......at the time, any boat that was in a yard was not liabe for the tax....but...the day before we were to leave the owner got a ginormous bill.......we had to prove that the vessel was being worked on....fortunately (this time) the anal retentive owner had every receipt etc. The Tax Bill IIRC was around $60,000
Quote:
Anyone know what the excise tax is Maryland or elsewhere is? $$
What kind of money are we talking about?
Based on Value? Size? Duration? combo of above?

Chief...$60,000...How big was that Yacht?...
Old 26-12-2008, 10:45   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1 View Post
We have heard that this permit will extend the Florida 90 day limit - SOJOURNERS PERMIT. Not sure, but it is discussed on CRUISERSNET.NET in detail. We have downloaded the forms.

Thanks for that info that is great. I hope to use it when I get to Florida some day. It would be very interesting to find out what the time limit is? Does anyone have an idea?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 10:58   #29
Eternal Member

Google Forida Boat Tax...there are a couple site which give the breakdown and various ways that it can avoided.....i.e. yacht in yard for repairs etc.

Also who is liable.....who isn't.

Y'know in these times they are probably going to get a tad more aggressive in getting their pound of flesh
Old 27-12-2008, 12:16   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I first came to Florida in 03. The water sheriff told me I had to go offshore within 90 days to keep from having to register my Ca. boat as a Florida boat. I asked him how I could prove I had done that. He answered how can we prove you haven't? I guess it is a matter of asking the marina for paperwork, and checking the bridges if they keep records?

I tranfered my title here in Fl. from Ca. when I went back to work, and stopped cruising. It was a matter of title transfer, and registration fee only. This was in the past 8 months. I think a total of about $150?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote