Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2013, 15:39   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil View Post
Pieter we have applied at our home city of Melbourne in Australia.

I suppose we will head off to our interview and if they cant assure us we get passports back in time we will not leave them there and will just sail on past the us territories.
I was always of the view , that you had to apply for a B1/B2 through your home countries US embassy. ( that was what I was told ) can you do it at any designated US facility ?

It's a super pain , as I always now get hassled for having a B1 and using the waiver scheme. It's seems US immigration prefer one or the other.

Dave
Old 14-11-2013, 16:24   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I was always of the view , that you had to apply for a B1/B2 through your home countries US embassy. ( that was what I was told ) can you do it at any designated US facility ? It's a super pain , as I always now get hassled for having a B1 and using the waiver scheme. It's seems US immigration prefer one or the other. Dave
When you fly to the US from home then yes, but for boats it is the surrounding countries. It is very easy in Panama and I believe also in Mexico.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 16:30   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Re: Visiting Puerto Rico by Sailboat Non US Citizens

Thanks again for the insights.... What it boils down to is this i guess...I will submit my electronic visa request, spend the money, spend more money to actualy go the interview... how ever, I am a liveaboard (ocean nomad), dont have a fixed adres, nor regular job.. soooo that no doubt will raise a some eyebrows at the interview... I just seek shelter in some PR ports, that will be all, but most likely i will be seen as a potential threat to the country.. Well that will be the consequence of my decision to live this lifestyle... I realy enjoy this thread, and maybe some good hints and tips continue to show up.. Best rgds.. Pieter (btw.. did you actualy check all those questions asked on the online form...?.. I mean.. come on... have you ever tortured a person...? Seriously.. Well i havent but i have my doubts abt how some officials back in State side would answer that one...P)
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 16:37   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

When you fly to the US from home then yes, but for boats it is the surrounding countries. It is very easy in Panama and I believe also in Mexico.
This is the piece I mean

"You must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, generally, at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at any U.S. embassy or consulate, but be aware that it may be difficult to qualify for a visa outside of your place of permanent residence.

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early. Review the interview wait time for the location where you will apply."

Dave
Old 14-11-2013, 16:55   #20

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Pieter, they are not much friendly at the US border to their own citizens. So don't take it personally.
Old 14-11-2013, 17:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hi Dohenyboy and thanks for yr comment. Well, allthough it may look otherwise, i am not taking it personally, I just cant understand, or maybe a better word is accept the way this has been set up, thought through (did it, was it??), and eventualy accepted by the governing bodies in the USA, who i assume represent the good people of the USA...
Old 14-11-2013, 18:03   #22

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
Pieter, they are not much friendly at the US border to their own citizens. So don't take it personally.
I respectfully disagree.

When our (US citizen) daughter enters the US with my wife and I (both "aliens") they may not be friendly but they are always professional and never rude. I am afraid I cannot say the same when my daughter is not there.

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 18:07   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The embassies are used to private yacht owners and crews applying for US tourist visas at embassies outside the home countires of the applicants. There is no problem with applying outside your home country.

It also is not a problem if you are a permanent liveaboard. For address, you can just state "aboard sailing vessel X", or, use your corrospondence address in your home country (that you use for bank, insurance, tax etc.)

I would not advice to tell them you are a gypsy, wanderer, lost soul etc.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 18:17   #24

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
IIRC, technically it's illegal to 'go back and get the boat'. But, one could arrive via commercial carrier then hire a delivery captain for the last leg of the trip for the boat. It's OK to arrive via commercial carrier and leave on a private vessel.
I agree on the "technically".

Twice over the last three years I have arrived in Cruz Bay, USVI onboard my UK-flagged boat to clear in and presented my 3rd world passport (not eligible for visa waiver/ESTA) with a B1-B2 visa, just to be told (not very politely one time) that I still had a valid (ie 90 days not yet expired) entry stamp on my British passport (from my arrival in Miami a few days before to catch flight to BVI), hence I should use my British passport. I mentioned that my British passport did not have a B1-B2 visa so it wa snot good for entry on a private boat but was told "to do as told", which I did.

That said, I would not rely on that to happen next time, hence I never go from BVI to USVI without carrying a passport with a B1-B2 visa..

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 16:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for your comments, however, unfortunately, during interview time it doesnt go over very well if you: inform that you permanently live aboard; you have not a fixed income, nor fixed job, not realy strong ties to your home country (business, property or whatever).. I have a number of friends and fellow cruisers that have had their visa B denied, and the applicant is left to guess what the reason would be as that is also not informed. It looks simple and inocent, but it is actually not... I will submit my application, and will update this thread as i progress (hopefully)..
Old 15-11-2013, 17:13   #26

Pieter , you are not a threat . You are a potential refugee .West PR has dealt with many Haitian refugees and other sorts of illegal aliens especially in recent times so be careful. Have a good voyage .
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 17:22   #27
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Craig, for the heads up. I know i am no threat, and also know that i am not from Haiti, and also that i dont need, nor seek refuge on PR soil... maybe just in bay or harbour when the weather turns...
Old 15-11-2013, 17:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Thanks Craig, for the heads up. I know i am no threat, and also know that i am not from Haiti, and also that i dont need, nor seek refuge on PR soil... maybe just in bay or harbour when the weather turns...
Desecheo Island is just off the coast of Rincon in the Mona passage ..I have seen boats anchored there before .. its a turtle refuge ..go figure....peace
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:32   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Thank you for your comments, however, unfortunately, during interview time it doesnt go over very well if you: inform that you permanently live aboard; you have not a fixed income, nor fixed job, not realy strong ties to your home country (business, property or whatever).. I have a number of friends and fellow cruisers that have had their visa B denied, and the applicant is left to guess what the reason would be as that is also not informed. It looks simple and inocent, but it is actually not... I will submit my application, and will update this thread as i progress (hopefully)..
Yes which is why I queried Nicks advise. The visa interview is very difficult to pass, based on mine anyway , without a demonstratable attachment to your home country , by way of home, financial and other information.

Dave
Old 15-11-2013, 19:57   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanCraig View Post
Desecheo Island is just off the coast of Rincon in the Mona passage ..I have seen boats anchored there before .. its a turtle refuge ..go figure....peace
Thanks again.. great info.. Turtle refuge it is for me i guess.

Tags
Puerto Rico, sail, sailboat