Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2009, 15:36   #1

Visa Issues in Schengen Countries

I have always loved the canals of Europe.
I am Australian, i have built a boat that I can ship in a 40 ft Container to Europe. We live aboard.

I have just become aware that the majority of European countries (Schengen visa) will only allow us to stay 90 days. We then must leave to a Non Schengen country for 90 days, before we can return to Europe.

Ok, so we can go to Britain or Ireland for 90 days the problem I have is by then the summer is over in Europe.
Any suggestions
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Ok, so we can go to Britain or Ireland for 90 days the problem I have is by then the summer is over in Europe.
Maybe they might extend summer a few more days, but staying more than 90 days is a problem. Immigration laws are well to be considered. Most countries take them serious. Turkey is nice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 10:44   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
no legal way around this unfortunately
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 16:53   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
How about to apply for a long term visa in the country of your choice beforehand?
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 17:39   #5

Thank you Barnakiel,
That was my original intentation.
I probably would like to spend most of my time in France but are there any other countries in the Shengen treaty region who may be easier.

I entered the USA years ago on a six months visa and had no difficulties getting a green card because I had business interests and i was white?
I stayed for 10 years (legally) before returning to Australia.
Old 19-10-2009, 21:28   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Thank you Barnakiel,
That was my original intentation.
I probably would like to spend most of my time in France but are there any other countries in the Shengen treaty region who may be easier.

I entered the USA years ago on a six months visa and had no difficulties getting a green card because I had business interests and i was white?
I stayed for 10 years (legally) before returning to Australia.
I don't think white had anything to do with your stay in the US, as much as you doing it the right way...getting the Green Card.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 03:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
when in France there are great train excursions to Switzerland (not in Shengen I think) or to Croatia

distances in Europe are small and public transport ok so just leave for a few days and you get new entry I presume
Old 20-10-2009, 06:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpets View Post
when in France there are great train excursions to Switzerland (not in Shengen I think) or to Croatia

distances in Europe are small and public transport ok so just leave for a few days and you get new entry I presume
Actually Switzerland joined Shengen treaty this year.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 11:12   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
How about to apply for a long term visa in the country of your choice beforehand
Most long term EU visas are work or study related visas, They can also make you a tax resident ( ie VAT on boat). No of them are designed for tourists.

Quote:
That doesnt reset the Schengen Visa, if you use up all the 3 months in one go you have to leave for 3 months before returning to a Schengen Area country.
Old 20-10-2009, 11:43   #10

The Schengen Visa only allow you to stay for 3 months in a 6 month period.

It seems a bit strange that there appears to be no way to extend it, especially when I think a non-EU boat can stay for 18 months.

Since you want to spend most of your time in France you could try for this visa.
Long Stay Visa Without Work for Metropolitan France - La France en Australie

Realisticly, it looks like you need to plan your trip between travelling in the Schengen area and the British isles.

I guess visitors to Aus must have the same problem
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 14:30   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
It seems a bit strange that there appears to be no way to extend it, especially when I think a non-EU boat can stay for 18 months.
There is much confusion over the 18month rule for the boat and the 3 month rule for the crew. Basically , a non EU boat can remain in the EU for 18 months. Thats the boat ONLY not the crew, The idea behind the legislation is to allow you to leave the boat and return to it in the next season and continue your cruise. It does not give the crew of such boat any extra time in the Schengen Area of the EU.

non EU crew are merely tourists, and abide by tourist visa rules, for schnegen countries this is 90 days in 180. This is a significnt reduction on crew freedom, as previously each country would give you between 3 and 6 months so in theory you could stay in the EU for ever. Thats gone. You now regard the Schengen area as effectivly one country for visa purposes.

countries outside that area, namely UK and Ireland, will individually give you betwwen 3 to 6 months on a tourist visa. This is not factored as "Schengen time". Note that you have to exit the Schengen countries for the remaining 3 months.

In time Ireland certainly and the UK possibly will join the Schengen, Ireland is only there because of the UK position as it doesnt want to jepordise its common transit area ( ie no passports needed) with the UK. Uk e-borders is in the process of removing that anyway, so I suspect Ireland will be in Schengen before the end of next year.

Note that all these rules apply to Schengen Visa Wavier ( ie US citizens) holders as well.

Long stay visas are country specific. These are usually work or study ones, though there are a number of non-work ones for austrialian and new zelanders etc. However they only give you rights to stay in that one country. Once you travel outside that country the Schengen rules apply.

Also be careful as being resident for 182 days or more in most EU countries makes you a tax resident and unless you meet the requirements for "Transfer of Residence" then any boat ( or car) will be subject to VAT. This can happen much sooner then 182 days, for example taking paid work, or certain visa categories can effectively make you resident. This needs careful inspection.
Old 20-10-2009, 22:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There is much confusion over the 18month rule for the boat and the 3 month rule for the crew. Basically , a non EU boat can remain in the EU for 18 months. Thats the boat ONLY not the crew, The idea behind the legislation is to allow you to leave the boat and return to it in the next season and continue your cruise. It does not give the crew of such boat any extra time in the Schengen Area of the EU.
I just think it is strange that there are no options under schengen for extending your visit

Doesn't worry me as I am citizen of the two regions I imagine I will ever have more than 3 months continuous holiday (sailing or other) in anyway, Aus and the EU
Old 21-10-2009, 00:07   #13

Quote:
Long stay visas are country specific. These are usually work or study ones, though there are a number of non-work ones for austrialian and new zelanders etc. However they only give you rights to stay in that one country. Once you travel outside that country the Schengen rules apply.
It does seem possible to get an extended long stay visa,for say France, of six months. Is it then possible to visit another Schengen country say Greece for the 90 days.
Another issue in regard to the long term visa in France, they want you to give an address where you will stay in france. I will be on a boat, my boat.
Old 21-10-2009, 00:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
It does seem possible to get an extended long stay visa,for say France, of six months. Is it then possible to visit another Schengen country say Greece for the 90 days.
Another issue in regard to the long term visa in France, they want you to give an address where you will stay in france. I will be on a boat, my boat.
Hopefully the French Embassy is used to people who want an extended stay with no fixed address, whether they are planning to be on a boat or touring by car/camper/trains/hiking.

Common sense say that as long as you can prove that you can financially support your plans and you have something to go home to, then the rest should not matter.

Sadly common sense can be lacking sometimes.

Contact the nearest consulate and cross you fingers
Old 21-10-2009, 01:36   #15

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
You may wish to plan your trip so as to spend some time in the non-EU Adriatic/Turkey and go back and forth; this may cost you a few seasons but it's much warmer down there