Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 07:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Scattering ashes at sea

My mother-in-law recently passed away, and one of her last wishes was to be cremated and have her ashes scattered at sea. I would have thought this to be a pretty simple, and personal, thing to do, but someone told me it was more complicated than that. Turns out that the EPA has a long list of rules and regulations regarding burial at sea, whether it be intact bodies or cremation ashes.

https://www.epa.gov/ocean-dumping/burial-sea

I was planning on just sailing out on a nice day, drinking a beer or two in her honor (she would approve!), and scattering her ashes. I will likely still do that, regardless of what the government rules are. It's not like there are ashes-police out there, and frankly it's none of their damned business!

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:36   #2

Re: Scattering ashes at sea

The only rule for cremated remains is that it be done past the three mile limit. If it's windy put the cremated remains in a biodegradable paper bag to stop them blowing all over.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
The only rule for cremated remains is that it be done past the three mile limit. If it's windy put the cremated remains in a biodegradable paper bag to stop them blowing all over.
The EPA also requires notification within 30 days. I fail to see how that is necessary. At least they don't require a permit...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 08-06-2017, 08:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dave,

My mother will die 'within weeks' according to the medical professionals. She was a huge flyfishing person and has asked to be cremated and asked to be put in her favorite fly fishing stream.

We are going to do it for her. I had an 'off the record' discussion with the crematorium, and they said to just go ahead, so long as they officially dont know.

We got a quite nice urn carved out of rock salt - drop in water and it dissolves.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:38   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Do what you and your mother want.

The gummint has no business being in your business.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Dave,

My mother will die 'within weeks' according to the medical professionals. She was a huge flyfishing person and has asked to be cremated and asked to be put in her favorite fly fishing stream.

We are going to do it for her. I had an 'off the record' discussion with the crematorium, and they said to just go ahead, so long as they officially dont know.

We got a quite nice urn carved out of rock salt - drop in water and it dissolves.
So sorry about your mother. I hope and pray that she passes peacefully, with you there to love her on her way. My mother-in-law was suffering, so it was almost a relief when it was finally over. She's at peace and not hurting anymore, that's the important thing.

We have a bio-degradable box for her ashes, and plan on just sailing out into the Atlantic and then sending her off in the style she'd appreciate. Like others have said, the government has no business sticking their noses into this. Ashes are completely biologically safe, so why any restrictions? I understand a full-body burial at sea requiring a little extra thought, as who wants a cadaver washing up on the beach later. And why does the EPA not allow pet cremains to be scattered at sea?

Sorry if I'm going off on a bit of a rant, but needless rules and regulations are very vexing to me. I just want to honor my mother-in-law without anyone telling me what I can and cannot do.

-David
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

David the only regulation that matters in your case is the one that says:
Cremated remains

Cremated remains shall be buried in or on ocean waters of any depth provided that such burial takes place at least three nautical miles from land.

No permits required, I've done a few for friends, in fact it's common to do a small portion of the cremains closer to shore in what is called a "Paddle Out" ceremony for surfers. Even Sherriff's deputies (harbor patrol) and coasties are known to attend.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:18   #8

Boat: Carver 356

Just do it. Be discreet and don't ask permission.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:54   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I spread my friend's ashes in the lake.

So arrest me.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:56   #10

Boat: C&C Corvette 31

My motto nowadays is "Never ask permission...never be denied."
seanmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:30   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

My father in law put his wife's ashes in the flower garden.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:22   #12

Yup, just do it.

My cat used to love going for walks on his leash at a beautiful local park located on a nearby lake. Ask him, "wanna go to the park?", and the meowing began.

He's buried about four feet down in a grove of trees just off his favorite trail. Sometimes it doesn't pay to ask permission.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:47   #13

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
My father in law put his wife's ashes in the flower garden.
Be careful with this one. A previous boss did a similar thing and he could never sell or move out of the house as he felt he would be leaving her.
Old 08-06-2017, 14:57   #14

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

We are about to do the same with my mother. We scattered my father off St Helena Island and mum wanted to be near him.

This is in Australia so it will be different but I cant imagine anyone having issue with it.

Be careful of the wind, my dad had a laugh at our expense as the wind blew just as mum tipped the ashes and they blew all over her.
Old 08-06-2017, 15:04   #15

Boat: Hunter 340 34'

That sounds beautiful. The regs seem pretty clear that as long as your 3 miles out, no worries. May she rest in peace.