Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 11:39   #1

Boat: Tashiba 31
Sales Tax and registration

If I buy the 30' sailboat in Michigan and truck it to a Florida marina, but I live in Georgia where do I pay sales tax and where do I register the boat?
Thank you in advance for any help with this dilemma.
Rhubarbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50   #2

Re: Sales Tax and registration

Usually you pay sales tax where you purchase it, unless you're going to register it somewhere else within 30 days, or unless you are going to attempt to avoid paying the sales tax, in which case there are all sorts of scenarios to consider, both real and imagined.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarbx3 View Post

Thank you in advance for any help with this dilemma.
dilemma

noun 1. a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.

2. any difficult or perplexing situation or problem.

By definition, then, you do have one!

There have been hundreds of topics on taxes, use taxes, property taxes and the like on this and other boating forums.

There was one just the other day on Georgia and Florida, tax avoidance is not illegal.

Good discussion, and the skipper actually contacted the govt agencies involved:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-139025.html

He did HIS homework.

You have to do your own homework, including the unanswered question of where you intend to keep the boat.

Many of the answers included links to the government websites that explain the rules. While many of us do not like the rules, we didn't make them up either.

For example, are you going to pay sales tax in Michigan? Then from what I've read here, FL needs that receipt to determine if they are owed any sales tax if their rate is higher than Michigan's.

Kinda raised more questions than answers...

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 13:05   #4

I don't know anything about the laws in Michigan or Georgia. What I can tell you is that if you have not paid sales tax on it in another state, then when you bring it to Florida you will be required to pay sales/use tax on it here. If you pay sales tax on it in another state then Florida will give you a credit for that. If you own and use the boat in another state (and the "use" part is important--you can't just let it sit in the other state) for more than 6 months then you do not have to pay any sales/use tax to Florida.

Here is the relevant information for Florida:
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

(I would be very surprised if Michigan and Georgia do not, also, have this same sort of information posted somewhere on the internet.)

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Check out the BoatUS website. They have a nice summary of state by state requirements found here: State Boating Information Home - Government Affairs - BoatUS

Also check out the state department of taxation websites for each state. They will usually tell you what you need to do - but you have to dig sometimes. You can also call the state taxation departments for advice. Most states levy a "use tax" to get around out-of-state purchases. So even though you aren't a resident and you didn't purchase the boat there - you're still using it there, and owe the tax.

Here is another form that might help: http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf

Good luck.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:48   #6

If the boat is documented with US documentation you may be able to avoid all taxes. I did for many years and if asked my reply was " in transit " Never had a state sticker either.
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahshore View Post
If the boat is documented with US documentation you may be able to avoid all taxes. I did for many years and if asked my reply was " in transit " Never had a state sticker either.
That probably works if you don't have any ties to the state. But it is evading taxes, if taxes are due.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
But it is evading taxes, if taxes are due.
Let's be blunt. It is a violation of the law. It makes you a criminal.

I would hope that the OP did not come here looking for advice on how to become a criminal, but it does seem that such advice gets offered on an unfortunately frequent basis.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Don't know about Florida and Georgia, but up here in Oregon we have no sales tax and are surrounded by Sales tax states. If we buy in WA or CA and register in OR, there is no sales tax. But, if I go to WA for an extended stay, they ask me to pay their Use (sales) Tax.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49   #10

If it is old boat and you register in FL , Make sure and register it as a antique. Knocks
The yearly re newly down to 5 bucks or their a bouts.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
This is true only if you don't get caught or you stay constantly on the move.

Almost all states require you register a boat in that state if it stays in that state more than their maximum allowed time, usually 90 days. They don't care if you are in transit, legal resident of wherever or any other excuse.

When you go to register the boat then you will probably run into the issue of sales tax. If it has not been paid to any state then you will have to prove you fall into a category that exempts you from the sales tax aka sales and use tax.

FYI several states check and keep records on how long you're in that state. If they show your boat in that state for 90 days it is up to you to prove otherwise. Guilty until proven innocent.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09   #12

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
that is a scary advice, might work if you don't stay anywhere for a long time
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
that is a scary advice, might work if you don't stay anywhere for a long time
The scary part for me is not this advice but the fact that the states have usurped what used to be purely Federal gov't and boat owner relationship and turned it upside down and made the boat owner a criminal for not acquiescing to the states' unconstitutional money grab. Go back 100 years and under that same set of circumstances no one in their right mind would have allowed for a state to charge sales or use tax on a Federally registered vessel.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 13:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The scary part for me is not this advice but the fact that the states have usurped what used to be purely Federal gov't and boat owner relationship and turned it upside down and made the boat owner a criminal for not acquiescing to the states' unconstitutional money grab. Go back 100 years and under that same set of circumstances no one in their right mind would have allowed for a state to charge sales or use tax on a Federally registered vessel.
Go back 100 years and there was no Federal income tax.

People want infrastructure, roads, bridges, public docks, and all sorts of government supplied services. They just want someone else to pay for it.

The people who avoid/evade taxes are generally the first in line to claim their "rights" when they need something.

Pay your taxes, and then you have no reason to feel guilty when you use some public service that everyone else is paying for.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 13:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Go back 100 years and there was no Federal income tax.

People want infrastructure, roads, bridges, public docks, and all sorts of government supplied services. They just want someone else to pay for it.

The people who avoid/evade taxes are generally the first in line to claim their "rights" when they need something.

Pay your taxes, and then you have no reason to feel guilty when you use some public service that everyone else is paying for.
It's usually the other way around. People who clamor the loudest for gov't services are the ones who don't pay their share either by claiming poverty or using highly paid army of accountants. But your post is exactly what I am talking about. Why is it that those who always want the gov't to do more but usually from collecting someone else's money? If you feel that the numerous gov't projects require more of your tax dollars no one is stopping you from sending them more than is due from you on April 15. Just don't try to stick others with that bill.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, sale