Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Paul, you will find in remote places where grizzles are numerous, that gun laws are locally relaxed so that humans can have protection when going into the bush.
Believing that could get you into a pile of trouble. I can assure you that law enforcement people up here do not relax gun laws anywhere anytime for any reason (unless it's for one of their own, as everywhere else they have their own rules for dealing with their brother officers). They particularly don't relax gun laws for self defence, you can't get a handgun permit for self defence unless you are a judge or other court official, special rules again. Even the cops are required to leave their service handguns secured at work unless they have special permission to do otherwise and that's rarely given. If you want a self defence weapon for bears they will tell you to get a rifle.

Do not try to bring handguns or other weapons into this country, you will be treated like the lowest criminal on the planet. We have two classes of tightly controlled weapons, restricted and prohibited. Restricted includes handguns for which citizens can, with great difficulty, get a possession permit which allows you to keep it in your house, but a permit to carry outside your house is unlikely except for members of bona fide gun clubs for target practice only. Prohibited weapons include full functional automatics of any kind, flick knives, martial arts stuff like throwing stars, nunchucks, etc., there's barrel length restrictions on long guns, plus more and they are totally prohibited you can't get a permit to even possess.

Even long guns are controlled weapons, citizens in Canada have to register long guns though this is in flux at the moment with the current government. You also need a federal Firearms licence to either acquire (PAL) or possess (POL) firearms of any kind. Be prepared to declare long guns when you enter and don't even think about bypassing doing that, the grief is just not worth it. It is a huge hassle now to own guns in Canada, I only do the paperwork because I've always had guns and intend to keep them. Many folks have just given them up. Too bad.

I worked for the Ministry of Natural Resources in this province for 7 years, I never saw or heard of a Conservation Officer cutting anybody any slack based on whether they were a local or not. Law enforcement up here just doesn't operate like that anymore, if you're breaking a law, they'll charge you, end of story.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26   #32

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
And that, my friends, say's it all.

Dave
In Australia, the government banned weapons in 1996, after a publicized shooting. Immediately after the ban, armed robberies rose by 73 percent, unarmed robberies by 28 percent, kidnappings by 38 percent, assaults by 17 percent, and manslaughter by 29 percent. This was reported on the Web site of the Australian Bureau of Statistics in January, 2000.

And that says it all.
spencer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:37   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Spencer & catman:
No - that (er, those say) says nothing towards the current discussion.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 13:59   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer53 View Post
In Australia, ....armed robberies rose by 73 percent, .
I dispute all those figures. This stuff is collected from the net, not from ABS.
ABS doesnt even do the stats for it. That is done by Australian Institute of Criminology and you will find their latest stats clearly show back through 1997 NO significant increase.
Recorded crime (in: Australian crime : facts and figures 2006) [Report - text version]

The article on Snopes tells you, and gives links, that figures either went down or remained the same.
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Australian Guns Stats

I know that many things on the internet have the feel of being fact. many are not fact and need to be cross referenced.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 14:12   #35

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
As Gord posted, I have to agree with him and I should not have posted what I did. Forgive me for my post as it really did not speak to the topic and now I fear that the thread could get locked like the many others related to this topic have. This particular thread has remained very civil and has not evoked the emotional response that many of the others have and I am very sorry that my hasty and apparently unresearched post.
spencer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 14:15   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Mark as Gord notes. This has nothing to do with the thread. We are not going into any crime stats here fact or otherwise..
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:52   #37

Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

It defeats the purpose of carrying a firearm if you can not posses it in country. In country would be the only place you might need a firearm accept maybe off the Somali coast. It is a shame because a firearm does help with a good nights sleep.

My first post I know, in a firearms thread. Sorry. I have been reading this forum for years without registering.
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 15:02   #38

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
It defeats the purpose of carrying a firearm if you can not posses it in country. In country would be the only place you might need a firearm accept maybe off the Somali coast. It is a shame because a firearm does help with a good nights sleep.

My first post I know, in a firearms thread. Sorry. I have been reading this forum for years without registering.
LOL
and now you have a target on your back.

Old 06-12-2012, 15:37   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You are a tourist you're not or ever " in country" sheesh.

Dave
Old 06-12-2012, 15:38   #40

I disassembled my Springfield 9mm and chucked the pieces (and ammo) into the water miles off the coast before I got into Mexico.

The realistic scenarios of it being helpful were FAR outweighed by the many more and much more realistic scenarios whereby it completely screws me over.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 15:47   #41

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Wink Re: Protocol When Cruising With Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I disassembled my Springfield 9mm and chucked the pieces (and ammo) into the water miles off the coast before I got into Mexico.

The realistic scenarios of it being helpful were FAR outweighed by the many more and much more realistic scenarios whereby it completely screws me over.
You should have sold it before you left, or given it to a forum member.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 15:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You are a tourist you're not or ever " in country" sheesh.

Dave
Thanks Dave
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 15:51   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
You should have sold it before you left, or given it to a forum member.
I thought about that, but to do it the right way there's a transfer process and paperwork. And of all the things on my list negotiating the sale of a pistol was on the bottom of my list. Besides, it was mighty symbolic.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 15:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Further To MarkJ ..WE.. here in Oz do not like hand guns. So much as show it and you will have the cops on your toes in a split second. Most Australians will take exception. It is the Australian way that unless you are part of a legitamate security organisation (cops) or a crocodile hunter ! then why do you want to have it here ? The only reason to have a hand gun is to use it on humans., this we find distasteful. We are a strange lot but we just dont get the "good people gota have bigger weapons than bad people" kind of line. The practicle result is that we have a confidence that we dont have to walk down the streets with secret body armour ! I guess you know where my spots are on this issue. Believe me our laws do reflect this attitude. Other countries are similar. The whole gun thing really is a USA attitude.
The US constitution allows them because without them we wouldnt have that constitution.. we would still be under British Rule. Fortunately for Britain, we saved their A** in WWII. But that's OK, when the Chinese take over OZ, We'll come save your A** too!
Just kidding really... but that's the reason Americans are protective of their right to bear arms.... what if you dont like your government anymore and they wont leave?
Guns aboard are a PITA. My friends had a few, including an AR15 etc. When they arrived in Samana, DR., they had to carry them thru town to have them held...... Great way to say "hello" to the locals huh? Actaully, they finally gave (sold?) them to the officials there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:30   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I love my guns. But if I left to cruise out of the states I would sell some and leave the heirloom guns with family. Not worth the hassle. Wish it was different because its fun to shoot.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guns