Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 12:21   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How much cash?

Mark, in line with what you are saying, there once was a German cruiser of whom it was known that he carried $3,000 in USD aboard his boat. One night at Bora Bora, while he was ashore, someone went aboard his boat and stole that money. I have no idea where he had it. He was quite indignant about it, but honestly, I thought it shouldn't have been common knowledge. He, himself, must have mentioned it to many folks.

Yes, I think it is useful to carry some cash, and especially so, when your card is about to expire, and it can take time to get the new one turned on. What the OP should do is decide what amount that needs to be, perhaps port fees and diesel for leaving a country? As mentioned above, that actual dollar figure will vary.

Ann
Old 16-11-2014, 16:29   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think anyone with less than $20,000 cash is foolish. $30,000 is better. $50,000 is great.

Obviously I am a fool that I despise because I don't think I have ever had more than $500 in cash on the boat.
The Third World probably invented ATMs. Every coconut palm in the Pacific dispenses money and even the Asians have caught up with the idea the the Rivers of Gold trickle from a piece of plastic.

More than a few hundred dollars is not necessary and probably marks you as a target.

Mark
....and if over $10K USD could land you in hot water in many countries. A guy in Belize a few years ago had loads of cash aboard (way over the alowed $10K). He made a bad move and pissed off his wife, who left him. As she left the country she informed authorities, who impounded his boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 04:23   #18

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

...And if you plan to use ATMs extensively out-of-country, don't forget to tell your bank about your travel plans before hand, and ask them to increase your draw limit accordingly. I've had the bank block my card several times for security reasons when I didn't, and if I'd been out of phone/e-mail range at the time, I would have been S.O.L.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:16   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Canadian Chip and PIN Credit/Debit Cards have both a Chip, and a conventional Magnetic Stripe.

Chip and PIN credit cards can be used anywhere in the world where the payment brand (Visa or MasterCard) is accepted.

At a chip-enabled terminal, you will insert your Chip and PIN credit card into a chip reader, follow the prompts and enter your PIN to complete the transaction.

If you are using your Chip and PIN credit card at a location that does not yet have a chip-enabled terminal, your card will be swiped and the transaction will be completed with your signature, as per (formerly) usual.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:17   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
More than a few hundred dollars is not necessary and probably marks you as a target.

Mark
I never carry cash on my person, for that reason. I make a joke about it and show people, I do not wear anything expensive, like a Rolex watch etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:35   #21

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
...And if you plan to use ATMs extensively out-of-country, don't forget to tell your bank about your travel plans before hand, and ask them to increase your draw limit accordingly. I've had the bank block my card several times for security reasons when I didn't, and if I'd been out of phone/e-mail range at the time, I would have been S.O.L.

Jacques
True enough this. And the only number they give you to speak with them is an 800 number, which you can't dial from a cell phone.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW: ATMs in Mexico (and most of the world) only accept four (4) digit PINs.

Old 17-11-2014, 07:03   #23

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

US credit card companies are converting to cards with chips.
Chase just sent me a card with a chip, even though the card expired next year.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 07:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mark, in line with what you are saying, there once was a German cruiser of whom it was known that he carried $3,000 in USD aboard his boat. One night at Bora Bora, while he was ashore, someone went aboard his boat and stole that money. I have no idea where he had it. He was quite indignant about it, but honestly, I thought it shouldn't have been common knowledge. He, himself, must have mentioned it to many folks.
You might think that I'm terribly cynical for asking, but how much did he borrow, and did anybody ever see him again?
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 07:23   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I usually carry about 600 - $700 in cash when on the go. That has always been more than sufficient. We don't dip into it except for boat related items where cash is king.
If you break down and find a mechanic that only takes cash, I guess you can pay him $70/hour to take you to town and find an ATM.
Even in the USA, there are marinas that dont have ATM's and are not walking distance from town. They will take plastic for your purchases from them but wont give you cash back. If you are having a boat problem, his only recommendation is his buddy that only takes cash. Sometimes a temporary fix can cost 300-$400 and is good enough to get you to where you can have things done properly. You wont always need a starter motor or alternator when in a big town. Sometimes you take what you can get.
I know, I should always keep spare starter motors, alternators, 1000 feet of extra line, spare windlass, spare sails, chain and so on. No matter how much spare stuff you carry, that won't be the thing to break down, at least not with my kind of luck.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 07:48   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
True enough this. And the only number they give you to speak with them is an 800 number, which you can't dial from a cell phone.

Mexico has its own series of 800 numbers, so in order to make dialing U.S. numbers possible, they came up with a simple system.

To dial a United States 800 number FROM Mexico, replace the 800 prefix with the prefix shown below:
Ø 800 numbers Dial 001-880-then the number
Ø 866 numbers Dial 001-883-then the number
Ø 877 numbers Dial 001-882-then the number
Ø 888 numbers Dial 001-881-then the number

For example, to call Wells Fargo's customer service FROM Mexico change the number
from 1-800-869-3557
to 001-880-869-3557

and to dial Blue Shield FROM Mexico we change the number
from 1-888-568-3560
to 001-881-568-3560.

Old 17-11-2014, 14:05   #27

Good to know, Gord. Do other countries do that?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-11-2014, 15:21   #28

At least from all Central American countries you can dial USA toll free numbers. Just add the dialing prefix for the USA (001) like you would for any other USA number. It just wont be toll free.
Old 17-11-2014, 15:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
US credit card companies are converting to cards with chips.
Chase just sent me a card with a chip, even though the card expired next year.
Same for my USA CitiBank card and my Guatemalan bank debit card (Banco Agromercantil de Guatemala).

I worked on early smart card projects almost 30 years ago...talk about slow adopters.

I'm surpised how many ATMs and POS devices I've since encounter in Central America that read the chip.
Old 17-11-2014, 15:27   #30

I am talking about from a cell phone. Does that work for cell? Making it more difficult is that I use a US cell phone outside the US.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app