Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 14:23   #1

How do you drop USCG Documentation

Purchased my boat when it was already USCG Documented. No mortgage/loan or bank involved in the purchase. Reside in a state requiring registration regardless, did so and paid state sales tax at time of purchase.

While there may have been reasons in years past to be Documented, I can't think of any reason why USCG documentation helps now. That they keep spelling my name wrong no matter my corrections with each annual payment is the last straw.

So:

How do you "Un-Register" a boat that has USCG Documentation?

I'd like to make a clean break from the Federal governments "assistance" in providing the documentation service.

Must I send a letter to the State? To my insurance carrier?

The last thing I need during a USCG boarding is to have some uniformed Coast Guard officer, younger than my daughters, on my boat surrounded by even younger gun strapped kids, asking me questions why the names don't match between the State and USCG documentation. Explaining the incompetence of the Federal government in such a scenario is "beyond my pay grade".Pardon my frankness & attempt at humor
StanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 14:45   #2

Re: How do you drop USCG Documentation

Just don't renew the documentation at the end of the current period. The vessel will be dropped from the documentation rolls, and that's it.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 14:50   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

From the NVDC FAQ page:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...-FAQ/#anchor28

HOW DO I DELETE A VESSEL FROM DOCUMENTATION?
A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and is to include the vessel’s official number. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
From the NVDC FAQ page:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...-FAQ/#anchor28

HOW DO I DELETE A VESSEL FROM DOCUMENTATION?
A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and is to include the vessel’s official number. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.
Thank you!
StanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:45   #5

[QUOTE=StanL;2795976]Purchased my boat when it was already USCG Documented. No mortgage/loan or bank involved in the purchase. Reside in a state requiring registration regardless, did so and paid state sales tax at time of purchase.

While there may have been reasons in years past to be Documented, I can't think of any reason why USCG documentation helps now. That they keep spelling my name wrong no matter my corrections with each annual payment is the last straw.

So:

How do you "Un-Register" a boat that has USCG Documentation?

I'd like to make a clean break from the Federal governments "assistance" in providing the documentation service.

Must I send a letter to the State? To my insurance carrier?

The last thing I need during a USCG boarding is to have some uniformed Coast Guard officer, younger than my daughters, on my boat surrounded by even younger gun strapped kids, asking me questions why the names don't match between the State and USCG documentation. Explaining the incompetence of the Federal government in such a scenario is "beyond my pay grade".Pardon my frankness & attempt at humor[/owe

Those Coasties may save your ass someday.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men