Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 07:47   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If it were me I would go aboout things differently. I would look for a boat in Mexico. Maybe buy a small camping trailer behind the truck to live in while looking for a boat.

Forget going down the coast in the winter sailing with your skills! Maybe stop off in Southern Cal to take some lessons. Sail the boat around the sea of Cortez, and get some skills. Then the coconut run is yours with a great place to start from.

I don't think you willl owe taxes in Canada until the boat returns there, I could be wrong about that! Just think of all the shopping you can do along the way loooking at boat, and getting warmer all the time moving south. Think out of the box.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 22:11   #17
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
I2f:

That was exactly my plan. And my trailer can be lived in already. Plus I have a Technitop roof tent on my Land Rover that can be deployed in minutes. If the border would let me through with it, I'd do exactly that. Perhaps I'll try and store most of my gear and haul just the truck, trailer, motorcycle and essentials and see if I fare any better with a student visa. Then I can buy my boat before or after school. The Visa allows me 30 days on each side of my course, or 4 months total. The border between So Cal and Mexico is pretty dicey though. Especially driving a jacked up Land Rover and fancy motorcycle trailer. If they got wind that there was a Ducati motorcycle and filming gear in it, I could get a bit too much attention. Lol.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote