Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:07   #1

Help no hull ID number

Hello all,

I am looking at acquiring a Oceanis 41.
I have had the boat professionally surveyed but the surveyor was not able to find a hull ID number. It is definitely not in its normal place either on or around at the transom.
The current owner is from Argentina and he does not know where the hull ID number is either.
There is a boat manual that lists the hull ID number along with the engine serial number. The actual serial number stamped to the engine does match the engine serial number in the boat documentation.
I am using a broker in Florida along with a closing company in Florida. How concerned should I be that the whole ID number cannot be located anywhere on the boat?
Thanks in advance for any advice on this issue.
SailRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:17   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Help no hull ID number

Run Forest, Run. Could be a stolen boat that had the number ground off and glassed over especially since the engine numbers don’t match.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rex.
Ask Beneteauhttps://www.beneteau.com/en/contact

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:43   #4

Thank you for the initial replies. The serial number on the engine DOES matcch the serial number on the documentation.

I will send a message to Beneteau also to see if that can help.
SailRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 13:31   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

My HIN was very, VERY, hard to find, but we did eventually on the aft starboard corner, right where it’s supposed to be. Try using a flashlight at an angle to the gel coat and see if it shows up. If it’s really not there, I agree you have a problem.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:03   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rex-
If there is no visible HIN, I can't see that Florida or the USCG would accept the boat and title it. The current owner *must* know something about the HIN, if he has any sort of title to the boat. I can't see that Argentina would issue a title to "anonymous" but if they do, and Beneteau-US can't help you turn it up...Make sure you're also looking at good title insurance. Yes, HINs do legitimately get ground down or painted over, but then someone should know about that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:04   #7

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRex View Post
Hello all,

I am looking at acquiring a Oceanis 41.
I have had the boat professionally surveyed but the surveyor was not able to find a hull ID number. It is definitely not in its normal place either on or around at the transom.
The current owner is from Argentina and he does not know where the hull ID number is either.
There is a boat manual that lists the hull ID number along with the engine serial number. The actual serial number stamped to the engine does match the engine serial number in the boat documentation.
I am using a broker in Florida along with a closing company in Florida. How concerned should I be that the whole ID number cannot be located anywhere on the boat?
Thanks in advance for any advice on this issue.
You also see the HIN in the metal plate in the cockpit (the one that shows the CE ratings).

Be careful of boat of that size that are only registered at a US state by a foreign owner. That can be an easy way to "get papers" for a boat with "problems".

If the boat is registered in a proper national register like UK Part I you can order a transcript showing all the prior owners and get seller to provide a chain of bills of sale.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:40   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

There is no B. boat without HIN carved into the hull near the stern.
Only thing I can think of that someone put a layer of gelcoat over the HIN and polished flush.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Run Forest, Run. Could be a stolen boat that had the number ground off and glassed over especially since the engine numbers don’t match.
Didn’t read the post?
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:01   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

I was a beneteau dealer for 19 years.
There should also be one inscribed in the engine stringers somewhere. Sometimes it's under the athwartship stringer just in front of the engine. Sometimes the batteries are there. Sometimes also you need to remove the flooring to see it.
They are lightly done (inscribed). Hard to read. If there is no HIN, on upper right had hull side all the way aft just under the hull to deck joint, then it's most likely stolen form somewhere. If hull has been repainted this often gets covered up. Look on engine stringers then.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:35   #11

Ask the owner to check with his insurer. They would have required the number when insurance was requested and granted.
Really close inspection of where it “should be” with a flashlight will probably locate it.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:27   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In the unlikely case that boat was built before 1972, in the US there would have been no mandatory HIN. If built in France, I have no idea. But Beneteau would be able to answer that, as well as saying where any second numbers might or should be.

I don't think I'd take an insurer's statement as gospel on this. All they know is what "someone" told them, it does not mean they got true information.

A sharp broker (dare we say "competent"?) or a repair yard worker should be able to peek and poke and tell pretty certainly IF the hull had been repainted. I've only noted the HIN on one repainted hull, it still showed proud although a heavy gelcoat job certainly could obliterate a lightly stamped one.

Seller wants to sell the boat? Seller isn't a thief, or a victim? OK, whether he's from Argentina or Mars, he should be able to figure out "No one in the US is going to buy this boat without a HIN. Go find it." It is the seller's job to find that, the buyer's job to confirm it. Or, try to find title insurance and registration without one.

Some states will allow registration without numbers, or they'll take paperwork that anyone can create on an inkjet printer leaving a big door open for counterfeit and forgeries. But that's a hell of a risky game on a boat that size, arguably worth the usual 90% discount on fenced stolen goods.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:31   #13

I made some parts that were placarded with manufacturer, part number, and individual serial number. That still did not stop people from fabricating their own placards with my name, part number, and imaginary serial number. Fraudulent people go to great lengths to dupe others. I believe the boat is the one depicted in the documents because the engine make , model, and serial number matches documentation , and the fact that these documents exist adds verification. Many times stolen stuff has no documentation. Just a good fictional story.
passthetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:41   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you cannot find it below deck, I would not touch it. Too much of a financial risk.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:18   #15

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Go to the Bene owners association at sailboatowners.com and ask owners, you will get a quick response.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hull ID number