Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 15:59   #61

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Have you ever be cited for using VHF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
A license is required to operate a VHF radio in Australia.

My understanding is that under international treaties Australia is required to allow visiting yachts to operate under licenses issued in their home countries.

While it may appear that the United States does not have VHF licenses my understanding is there is a "generic" license. Probably required under international treaties.

It would probably be possible to get a copy if one knew where to ask. I doubt if it would be required but if one likes to dot every "i" and cross every "t" then nice to have.

Following correct VHF procedures should keep everyone happy.
I use VHF in Australia all the time, never had a licence, never had any problems and the attitude of the authorities seems to be 'if you're using it to keep marine rescue informed or contact authorities about legitimate issues and aren't misusing it, good for you.' It is perfectly legitimate to use vhf in an emergency situation whether licenced or not. I think with all the new forms of comms media now available, vhf licencing doesnt even get on the radar anymore. It may help if you know the protocols, although i've noticed that the authorities are usually pretty lax about their own observance these days.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 16:12   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Nope GOC is still a big ticket.
Yep, 80% of my class were upcoming bridge officers. We also had Nautical English class, like what do we call when the wind direction shifts clockwise (i.e. veering) etc. This is a difficult part for non native English speakers.

@all:
I posted the message about this o explain that it is more than just being courteous on the radio: it is about procedures. May be the USCG expects you to know what they mean when they follow a strict GMDSS procedure? I also did hear USCG radio operators who were not so good at all so I know what was meant by that (remember the pon-pon discusion )
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 16:17   #63
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Yep, 80% of my class were upcoming bridge officers. We also had Nautical English class, like what do we call when the wind direction shifts clockwise (i.e. veering) etc. This is a difficult part for non native English speakers.

@all:
I posted the message about this o explain that it is more than just being courteous on the radio: it is about procedures. May be the USCG expects you to know what they mean when they follow a strict GMDSS procedure? I also did hear USCG radio operators who were not so good at all so I know what was meant by that (remember the pon-pon discusion )
Yes I think the US has found itself in a pickle , having ducked the VHF ( and SSB) training by giving everyone a bye , they now find themselves within a more complex comms system , ie DSC & GMDSS , with no real route to user training. So that while the old voice procedures might have had some chance of a user listening and working it out. The newer systems with GMDSS rescue procedures coupled with DSC have left users bewildered and many have no idea what they are doing.

Dave
Old 27-05-2013, 16:30   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes I think the US has found itself in a pickle , having ducked the VHF ( and SSB) training by giving everyone a bye , they now find themselves within a more complex comms system , ie DSC & GMDSS , with no real route to user training. So that while the old voice procedures might have had some chance of a user listening and working it out. The newer systems with GMDSS rescue procedures coupled with DSC have left users bewildered and many have no idea what they are doing.

Dave
And that explains the trouble they have switching to that new GMDSS system while the rest of the world has been there for years? May be, I don't know... it would explain a lot. I got the feeling their funding was inadequate. I mean, commercial operators do get their GMDSS certificates, right?
Old 27-05-2013, 16:37   #65
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

And that explains the trouble they have switching to that new GMDSS system while the rest of the world has been there for years? May be, I don't know... it would explain a lot. I got the feeling their funding was inadequate. I mean, commercial operators do get their GMDSS certificates, right?
Yes and no , for territorial waters and under 300 tons or not more then 6 passengers there's no test for commercial operators ( restricted radiotelephone ) for the " DO" cert , yes you have to do an exam

Dave
Old 27-05-2013, 18:01   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Dave, can you get the equivalent of your training online? That would be useful for sailors like me that want the training, but don't have to have it (for reasons cited above). For that matter, what commercial operators stuff is online and available?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 18:32   #67

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Lagoon4us that's a strange call sign as VMR446 is the call sign of Gladstone Queensland VMR ??????
That was exactly my thoughts when it was allocated, i've all but queried it as i'm in Greece but there ya go!!!
Frank
Old 28-05-2013, 00:29   #68
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
That was exactly my thoughts when it was allocated, i've all but queried it as i'm in Greece but there ya go!!!
Frank
Hey Frank its not listed in the ITU online database , put in your details and check yourself

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/ship_search.sh

Dave
Old 28-05-2013, 00:33   #69
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Dave, can you get the equivalent of your training online? That would be useful for sailors like me that want the training, but don't have to have it (for reasons cited above). For that matter, what commercial operators stuff is online and available?
I'm not up to date enough anymore on the US situation. There are commercial GMDSS training companies in the US which are approved by the FCC for the provision of the GMDSS radio operators cert. but I've not seen anything online other then bits and pieces , some of it ill informed .

Maybe I should put all my old training materials up online ( mind u that would piss off the other instructors !!!)

Dave ( not an Internet rebel ) !
Old 28-05-2013, 00:50   #70

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Newt

There are lots of SRC (VHF) internet training courses available. Google will set you up with lots of options. ROC is very rare, because you learn how to physically work the radio.
There is an site in India that claims to teach LRC via the net. I've looked at it and the answer is no. If you have an LRC, you can understand the course. but no way someone could learn from it (again because part of the course is the physical use of the radios/navtex etc). I suspect this site was set up just to be able to dip into the EU funding for internet learning.

I have SRC/ROC/LRC. No GOC because I'm not commercial and an LRC is the same thing.

As Jedi and Goboating have pointed out - the real use for the courses is not so much regulation as teaching sailors proper use and etiquette while on the air. (yes I do remember the pon-pon discussion).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 04:40   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can recommend going for the full GOC. Yes it's 5-6 days but you spend them with sailors, learning every little detail about things you do every day; you learn all about every piece of communications gear every ship has aboard.
I did this before emulators on the PC were used and actually made SSB and Inmarsat-C contacts with RCC's that cooperate with the training institute. In short: it's also fun.

Old 28-05-2013, 04:59   #72

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

OK Back to the original question about being asked for the Ship's Station License.

From September 2010 to May 2013, we traveled through 8 countries, including Mexico and all of Central America (Pacific and Caribbean sides)

The only time we were required to present our Ship's Station License was to the Panama Canal Authority along with the other Ship papers to arrange for our transit of the Canal. It is a required document for crossing the Canal.

As far as the Radio Operator's Permit, I was required to get that when I started driving commercially in the US. US law requires anyone who operates a Marine VHF or SSB commercially carrying more than six passengers (For hire) to have a Commercial Radio Operators Permit. Every employer I had required a copy of the Permit.

I know there are a lot of free spirits on this site that don't believe in government regulation, including a Ship's Station License.

For me, the ITU requires it, so obtaining the Ships Station License was just the right thing to do to make our boat legal.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 05:32   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i know all of us are using our licensed call signs each and every time we use the radio fo r cruisers net in mornings--lol--i have yet to hear one soul use his or hers on radio for morning cruisers net. i hav ebeen listening and participating in morning cruisers nets for many years.

fcc is a bureaucratic mayhem.

omg!!! look out!! the radio police are landing on your masthead---oh..is only a frigate bird.....

but there is a radio police helo hovering over goboatingnow's mast.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 06:21   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i know all of us are using our licensed call signs each and every time we use the radio fo r cruisers net in mornings--lol--i have yet to hear one soul use his or hers on radio for morning cruisers net. i hav ebeen listening and participating in morning cruisers nets for many years.

fcc is a bureaucratic mayhem.

omg!!! look out!! the radio police are landing on your masthead---oh..is only a frigate bird.....

but there is a radio police helo hovering over goboatingnow's mast.....
So zee, you plan to transit the Panama Canal, right? Looks like the FCC website is in your future too

Old 28-05-2013, 07:03   #75

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
So zee, you plan to transit the Panama Canal, right? Looks like the FCC website is in your future too
I suspect she already has it... But if she did not, I also suspect the block would simply be skipped or "none" written in...

...unless you have ever heard of a credible report of denial of a transit of the Panama Canal due to someone not having a number from the FCC to fill in the blank with....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf