Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2008, 13:01   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It's not thatI I don't want to pay for the ticket to Paradise. I just don't want to have to pay more than I should....example.

I bought my boat in St. Maarten in Sept. 02 while I was a resident of California. Eventually I registered the boat there in California, and boarded the boat in April of 03. I came to Florida in July of 03, and used Florida as a base until just recently. I was told by officials that I only needed to be offshore 3 miles at least once every 90 days.

I have complied with that by traveling in, and out of Florida, or along the coastline traveling from city to city always getting 3 miles offshore at least.

In California I was exempt from taxes, because the boat never saw Ca. Now in Feb of 08 I want to change registration to Florida, or document the vessel. I also want to do it in a way that causes me to pay the least amount to any agency.

I called Fl. DMV, and was told I cannot register my boat here because I am over 5 tons? I asked her to make sure, and she got tiffed with me. She is the state expert in Tallahasse. She advised me to document my vessel? Any advice on that by anyone, or should I see a lawyer?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 13:58   #47

Call somewhere else like Miami.
fishingbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:13   #48
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
FL Dept Rev - Learn about specific taxes <=== tax info ... do a search Florida DMV Boats - you'll find your info
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 14:42   #49
Eternal Member

I looked before, and just took another look. I cannot find anything that helps with information in my situation....thanks
Old 29-02-2008, 19:31   #50
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
The following ten coastal and inland states which many boats which travel to Florida travel from and do not have any state registration (decals) for documented vessels are: California, Deleware, Kentucky, Lousiania, Massachusetts, Maine, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
Actually, South Carolina does require registration and payment of ad valorum tax on documented vessels. They issue a SC number and sticker. According to the tax office, they don't have to be displayed. According to the officer that checked out my boat, they do have to be displayed, but they don't enforce it. Once he saw my registration papers, he just wished me a good day.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 16:02   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I looked before, and just took another look. I cannot find anything that helps with information in my situation....thanks
This is located on this page:

FL Dept Rev - Sales and Use Tax on Boats - Owners and Purchasers

Use tax is not due on boats brought to Florida if all of the following conditions are met:
  • The owner has owned the boat 6 months or longer.
  • The purchaser has shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase.
  • The boat has been used 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S. territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the 6-month period.
As long as you meet those requirements....you are fine. I think the so-called expert in Tallahassee....wasn't. You can "register" any size boat in the state. The bigger the boat, the higher the registration fees. Talk to a county license office....they'll fix you up.
Old 17-03-2008, 11:05   #52
Eternal Member

It's a good thing I reread these threads......LOLOLOL Thanks JUST A TINCH

Tags
florida