Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 05:49   #196
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: "Dock Lines will be Cut!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Ha, ha, ha, look what it says about Media in Chicago and LA -

"....The Chicago metropolitan area (the Chicago Market) commands the third-largest media market in the United States after New York City and Los Angeles and the largest inland market..."

"....The media of Los Angeles serve a large population in the Los Angeles area...."

Saweeeet! Chicago is third after LA and the media of LA doesn't even service all of LA. LMFAO! Hollywood doesn't really count because it's half owned by New Yorkers. HA, Ha, Ha

You know you New York haters should nicen up a bit. Keep it up and we'll take our culture away, then you'd be bored with nothing to do but work, sleep, and eat.

Oh god, did I mention how amazing the food is here? Absolutely endless list of world-class restaurants here....

And even forgetting the world-class restaurants -- the competition between noodle and dumpling shops is fierce. While you can drop fortunes in restaurants in NYC, you can also eat great food every day, very cheaply, if you're willing to dig a little and ask the opinions of the locals, many of whom have never eaten in the expensive exclusive restaurants.

I go to NYC on a tight budget and eat fantastic food each time. Everything is competitive in NYC because there are so many choices. Neither restaurant nor theater nor musical group will survive unless they have something special to offer.

Of course you can also find crud in NYC, but to put it down for lack of culture? That's like a power boater criticizing sailboats because they aren't fast. Fast isn't the point of sailing. (Well, not fast like a speedboat, anyway) -- I'd rather go "fast" on a sailboat than "slow" (or fast) on a motorboat ANY day.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:52   #197
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ah...money makes culture. I knew it would come to that. Really...NY is not a bad place at all. It's just a challenge for me with New Yorkers right of entitlement attitudes. As far as culture, I'll take Seattle over NY any day. The fact that you scoffed and belittled Tampa tells me you haven't been too far from the Big Apple.

It helps.

The Buddhist museum I mentioned came about because of wealthy NYC collectors who simply didn't have the space any more for their extensive collection.

I agree it was stupid to scoff at Tampa. It's not a glittering mega-City, but there's a lot of culture there too.

By the way, the great majority of New Yorkers don't have an "entitlement" attitude." It's just that when you have to walk 20 blocks to get where you're going, you don't have time to saunter and make casual chat with strangers. I've met a whole lot of really nice New Yorkers, but anyone who thinks they all feel "entitled" won't even make themselves open to them.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:55   #198
cruiser

Quote:
Half a dozen incidents this year with tourists bring loaded guns from out of state to places like the WTC Memorial and the Empire State Building, WTF?

Where you from? It's America. Guns are everywhere. Those people got caught, didn't they? That's an unfortunate truth about NYC. It IS more dangerous since 9/11, but where did people get shot recently? Suburbs of a major city in Texas. Four killed, four wounded (unless more have died since I heard last).

If you don't want to be around people with guns, don't come to the US.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:56   #199
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Of course you can name amazing individual sites in many other cities. I don't know what it's like now, but when I was a child, the Museum of Science and Industry was amazing. You walked through a giant beating human heart, following the path your blood takes. Remarkable.

But New York has a concentration of such sites unlike anything else. To me, having attended only off-Broadway suggest reverse snobbery. There are good things everywhere -- even, occasionally, on Broadway, although the "head count" is down there. And to have gone to NYC but not seen the Met's performance of either CARMEN or MAGIC FLUTE -- what a waste. The Botanical Gardens and the Zoo in the Bronx make even the Bronx worth visiting.

Street art is remarkable. Unbelievable what can be done with chalk on a sidewalk. I've already mentioned the music in the subways.
Sorry, meant to say that the museum with the beating heart was in Philadelphia.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13   #200

Quote:

But seriously, however quaint the New York bashing is, I have yet see where anyone has posited an alternative. Maybe they think it is Tampa but they want to keep it a secret?
Why are people offended by this statement?

I never said there wasn't colloquial or vernacular culture to be found everywhere, which there is. Would you feel better about it if I said Cincinnati, or even better Phoenix because there are likely fewer sailors there?

Point is, by definition there can only a singular center of anything unless that thing is amorphic. Recognizing that NYC is the cultural capital of this country doesn't take anything away from anywhere else.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:22   #201

Quote:
Where you from? It's America. Guns are everywhere. Those people got caught, didn't they? That's an unfortunate truth about NYC. It IS more dangerous since 9/11, but where did people get shot recently? Suburbs of a major city in Texas. Four killed, four wounded (unless more have died since I heard last).

If you don't want to be around people with guns, don't come to the US.
Don't get me wrong, I love guns, used to have a bunch of them when I lived where they were legal for me to possess. I owned assault rifles, high cap mags, the works. But you know what? I got rid of them when I moved to NYC because they are illegal here and I respect the rule of law.

Unlicensed hang guns are illegal in New York City and just because it's legal for you to possess one in your home state doesn't mean you are entitled to bring them here the same way owning a boat doesn't entitled you leave it unattended and uninvited on someone else's property.

Full circle.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34   #202

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:

It IS more dangerous since 9/11, but where did people get shot recently? Suburbs of a major city in Texas. Four killed, four wounded (unless more have died since I heard last).
I think Chicago is near the top in terms of gun violence.

The case in the news recently in Texas appears likely to be a person with mental health issues. The courts will sort it out but the police reports indicate it was not random violence. Sorry for contributing to thread drift but my home state gets enough justifiable bad press as it is.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:45   #203
cruiser

Quote:
Why are people offended by this statement?

I never said there wasn't colloquial or vernacular culture to be found everywhere, which there is. Would you feel better about it if I said Cincinnati, or even better Phoenix because there are likely fewer sailors there?

Point is, by definition there can only a singular center of anything unless that thing is amorphic. Recognizing that NYC is the cultural capital of this country doesn't take anything away from anywhere else.

Of course. And there's stupid culture in NYC as well. The wax museum is as banal as they come and the museum of sex has been denied museum status by the professional organization for museums. I suspect there's some great culture in Phoenix and I know there is in Cincinnati.

There's even great US culture you can sail to. The Circus Museum in Sarasota is fascinating (but don't plan on eating there).
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26   #204

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Let the serial posting begin.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:20   #205

Boat: OPB
I was about half way through this thread when I noticed it was deteriorating, skip ahead to the last page and its New York and guns, what a surprise.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28   #206

Boat: OPB
Quote:

Of course you can also find crud in NYC, but to put it down for lack of culture? That's like a power boater criticizing sailboats because they aren't fast. Fast isn't the point of sailing. (Well, not fast like a speedboat, anyway) -- I'd rather go "fast" on a sailboat than "slow" (or fast) on a motorboat ANY day.
Okay the best thing about the AC 72's is watching them tear away from the chase boats. While this may have been true in the past (and I admit still is for us non-billionaires) sailboats are now capable of going fast, even by motorboat standards. "Times they are a changing."
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10   #207

While the jury is still out I am looking for one of my photos from my freelance days that will match the caption "Dock Lines Will Be Cut". look out Pulitzer here I come !
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36   #208

Quote:
Is it within a marina owners rights to cut dock lines and set a trespassing vessels lines adrift? What about locking the offending vessel to the dock with a chain and holding it for ransom? Or maybe call a towing company and let the vessel's owner pay up for salvage?

A recent incident at our marina has me wondering about trespassing and how it relates to waterfront infrastructure.

The long and short of it is a guy from the marina across the way left his boat uninvited and unattended at our marina for a couple hours in such a manner as restricted navigation and hindered access to some our marina tenants causing them to risk a potential grounding to get in to their slips.

The vessel in question was not in need of assistance and this is not an isolated incident. The neighboring marina is geographically challenged by being separated from town by a canal that is a long walk around.

As a result we see a lot of strangers doing touch and go, landing dinks, or even leaving boats unattended. They often prop the gate unlocked which creates a security risk for everyone here and there have been thefts in the past. We've changed the gate from a code to a fob system and chase them away but they keep coming.

I generally regard these individuals, based on my interactions with them, as being completely selfish and self-serving with poor manners and an air of entitlement.

I will be the first person to admit to coming into a strange harbor late at night, tying up at the gas dock or grabbing an empty mooring, and leaving at the crack of dawn. It might not be right but I think it's pretty harmless.

However, the last thing I would do is leave my boat unattended and uninvited at a stranger's dock and frankly I think people who do deserve to pay tow guy for salvage.

An analogy I can think of is someone driving down the street but they can't find parking and at their convenience they decide to park in your driveway instead. You come home and can't park your car so what do you do? Call the cops, they write an ticket and the car gets towed. Anyone know the law on this subject?

I think the problem with this is the misguided analogy.

It's not like someone parking in your driveway. A closer analogy would be someone parking on the street where you rent. Perhaps even a truck with oversized tires.

So it would be in poor form to release the parking brake and let it roll down the hill and off a cliff.

If it's really blocking you, you should talk directly to the boat owner. If it's just "sort of" blocking your way, but not really, then it's more like "I don't like strangers parking here for a couple of hours for free while I have to pay to be a monthly resident", and it's a different kind of issue.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 13:09   #209

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Don't mind the thread drift at all... I learned more about New York, NY reading this thread than I ever knew before. It confirmed many of my suspicions.
When we went cruising, we kept and paid slip fees in our marina in San Diego but let the marina manager knew when we were gone and approximate return date so he could make a few $ on the side renting out our slip temporarily. We were gone for months or in one case over a year at a time so he did well but we always had a slip to return to when we had to replenish the cruising kitty.
There were a few regular trash boats who used to anchor out and as soon as a slip came free, they would sneak in, tie up, run up and hang around the gate for someone to let them out to use the head and shower, maybe a little shopping then back to the boat and out to the anchorage. It became a game of cat and mouse with the marina manager who used to walk the docks intermittenly, not according to any schedule, and he would call the Harbor Patrol who I recall at least once towing an interloper to the police dock I imagine.
I would have no problem if someone used my slip for say 1/2 an hour to run up and grab some stores then left but to regularly use the slip, the amenities, etc is beyond the pale IMO. That is what we were paying for every month. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 13:10   #210
Armchair Bucketeer

An open access community in the USA with a proactive person acting as neighbourhood watch, sounds kinda familiar for some reason .

Mmmmmm.......WWZD?

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock