Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2015, 03:55   #46

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Cruising Permit Fee For Bahamas

Interesting commits on this thread. Just remember that no matter what letter you may have, nor what government official you quote, you WILL pay whatever the customs agent ask for wherever you clear in. Trying to argue is a very bad idea! Just 40 years of Bahamian experience here!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 04:36   #47

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
It's been a few weeks since I sent the email to customs@bahamas.gov.bs , asking for a solid answer regarding fees to check in with a boat less than 35'. No answer back. Maybe they want to keep us guessing, and allow their officials do their own thing where ever they happen to be?

Raindog (a member here) is crossing to Bimini, or did yesterday. https://raindogps34.wordpress.com/ I'll give Erika a shout and see what they were charged.

Ralph
RTB -

I'll be interested in finding out what you hear from Raindog. I had an unusual experience when I checked in through Bimini this year which I don't want to post, at least not right now.
As for the VAT, just think of it as a sales tax. If you spend money in the Bahamas, you will probably have VAT added to the transaction.
The country is close to bankrupt and the government is reaching for every dollar they can get.
Old 20-06-2015, 04:40   #48

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
RTB -

I had an unusual experience when I checked in through Bimini this year which I don't want to post, at least not right now.
Booooo!

Put it on a new thread if you have to
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:18   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Interesting commits on this thread. Just remember that no matter what letter you may have, nor what government official you quote, you WILL pay whatever the customs agent ask for wherever you clear in. Trying to argue is a very bad idea! Just 40 years of Bahamian experience here!

Ditto, starting in 1976.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:35   #50
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
We are just trying to determine what the "official" fee for a cruising permit is if the boat is less than 35'. Seems it is $150.00 to me - Inward Declaration and Application for Cruising Permit - Government - Services Do you have a different answer? Forget the arguing part, just looking for the right answer.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 09:34   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would think the "answer" is to remove the conversation from here, and instead ask "everyone" to make enquiries of the Bahamas officials. What the fees are, whether there are extra fees depending on locations, hours, or "resellers" (i.e. a business that is empowered to collect surcharges on the fees), and gently avoid making any direct accusations of impropriety for now, to allow the government to save face.

If they receive enough polite but repeated queries, including queries from the sailing magazines, industry sources, trade groups, even a few media (August is "silly season" and they are willing to pursue any interesting story) and perhaps even US diplomatic channels....

Being allowed to issue a "clarification" and apology for any "confusion" allows a great deal of face to be saved, in comparison to accusations of rampant corruption.

Or we could conjure up the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt, declare the Bahamas to have been annexed and made an insular possession on the level of Puerto Rico, and replace their entire infrastructure with US-citizen-bureaucrats. Something we've got plenty of. (And ours know how to take a bribe just as well as anyone else's.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 15:16   #52

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Just fot the heck of it I sent an e-mail to Old Bahama Bay Marina regarding fees, the response was $300.00 for over 30 feet.

I also sent an inquiry to Bahamas Customs, no response as yet.

Paul
Old 22-06-2015, 16:04   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't understand the debate. Right from the bahamas site:

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.
a) For boats up to 30', the fee is $150.00
b) For boats over 30', the fee is $300.00
Fees Subject To Change

And it appears exactly 30' falls into (b)
Old 22-06-2015, 16:54   #54

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

From the inward declaration link above:

"Turn-around time
At the time of application once all documents are approved.

"Deadline
This process must be completed within 24 hours after arrival into Bahamian waters. No passengers or crew are to disembark until the process is completed.

"Related Fee(s)
There are customs charges based on the size of the pleasure vessel.
Up to 35 ft in length - BS$150.00
Over 35 ft in length - BS$300.00

"In addition, there is a BS$20.00 per head passenger tax with the first 3 crew / passengers exempt."

So, the two comments immediately above are in direct conflict (30,not 35 feet) with the government website.

Our boat is 45LOD so it's no issue for us, but if the gummint is telling you one thing and individuals are telling you something else, I'd say that trouble is brewing...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 17:23   #55

I am as confused as everyone else. Early in the month I posted that I had attended a meeting with a rep from the Bahamas Tourism office. He stated that up to 30' was $150 and over that was $300.

We checked in at West End on june 1. For my 33' I was charged $150. The guy next to me with a 34' was charged $300. Who knows what ywill be charged. Bob

Trip was great-best ever in 19 years...anchorages excellent, weather great...people very friendly. Prices were up, VAT in effect. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:13   #56
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
RTB -

I'll be interested in finding out what you hear from Raindog. I had an unusual experience when I checked in through Bimini this year which I don't want to post, at least not right now.
Hey Mike, I finally got in touch with Erika on Raindog (my wife messaged her on FB).

They only paid the $150.00 for their Pacific Seacraft 34, checking in at Bimini. They only got 30 days though. More here - https://raindogps34.wordpress.com/

Maybe she'll see the thread now, and have some comments for us.

What's the story you don't want to post Mike? Or, you still keeping quiet?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:36   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.
... Fees Subject To Change"

Perhaps they have learned from the airline industry, and the fees are changed based on the day of the week, whether you have a checked bag, whether you call ahead or buy your ticket at the gate...

Certainly sounds like anyone who wasn't trying to hide criminal behavior, ought to be extremely embarrassed, not to mention mortified, at the confusion for visitors.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:55   #58

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

We too had been informed categorically/officially that the cut-of length for the $150 rather than $300 fee had reduced from its previous 35' to only 30'; so we were pleasantly surprised to arrive in Georgetown, Exhumas on our 35-footer in April 2015 and be charged only $150.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:00   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

ON 6/12/15, I checked in at Spanish Cay. 34' boat = $150

We sailed past West End, anchored at Great Sale and then went to Spanish.

I had $300 ready, but got off lucky! Customs is laid back at Spanish. I heard the owner pays to have Customs there and gives them a ride to and from the Island.
Another boat arrived just as she was leaving for the day, she said, "I'll see you tomorrow" No warnings about staying on the boat, the marina folks said just be back on board in the morning

Marc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:05   #60

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

also, no VAT on entry fees.
Marina fees had the VAT added.

Some stores had signs "VAT included on posted prices"
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit