Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 16:39   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Cruising Permit Fee For Bahamas

I cleared through in Bimini in January of 2014. Being 38 feet we paid $300 but the 34 travelling with us paid $150 at that time. Sounds like West End is doing their own game.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 19:57   #17

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Are we having fun yet?

I would love to hear from someone with an under 35 foot boat who has paid for the permit in the last month or so. If memory serves me there was supposedly a change last summer that charged $300 for 30 ft and up.

The website The Government of The Bahamas currently says $150 for up to 35 ft and $300 for 35 and up.

Boating Entering/Exiting Policies | The Official Site of The Bahamas site says $300 for 30 ft and up, as does Noonsite and Explorer Chartbooks websites

Of course all the sites say "subject to change"
Old 30-05-2015, 20:15   #18

Take 3 packs of $150 in cash.

Use two for "getting in" and the third for rum.

If the cost for getting in is only one "pack" then use the other two for the rum.

What's so hard?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 04:23   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

It's still 35'.

I had a discussion in Green Turtle when I registered, they being entirely empty when I arrived, with the lovely lady behind the desk.

They (YMMV in other locations), being helpful, if you have a boat of "35 feet," will ask you, "Have you ever actually measured it? Is it a full 35 feet?" - because LOD of 34'11-15/16" will be only $150, whereas 35' and over will be the full boat (pardon the expression).

I had a similar experience in Marsh Harbour when I went to renew my boat; being the good guy I am, I didn't pick up on it until after I'd very thoroughly established that I was renewing, not "just arriving" - but the lady at the counter was doing her level best to have me say that I came from someplace outside. It would have saved me $200 (renewals, vs doing it again after your boat - you can come and go as many times as you want - comes in again, are $500 for another year).

So, I expect that if you've been charged $300 for a boat which is clearly under 35' it's either graft or stupidity.

My experience with customs and immigration (other than that there is NO way you'll get more than 8 months' consecutive stay - and they are all 30-day months!) has been that they are all accommodative and in many cases trying to help you save some bux.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:06   #20

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I would love to hear from someone with an under 35 foot boat who has paid for the permit in the last month or so. If memory serves me there was supposedly a change last summer that charged $300 for 30 ft and up.
We cleared customs this year at Bimini (Alice Town) February 23. The fee was $150 total for our 34.2 ft documented length Pacific Seacraft cutter. I was charged no VAT and got a computer printed receipt and a fishing permit.

We stopped at Weech's Dock, tied up while we cleared, bought a case of rum, and were on our way. The docking fee was $25. Weech's radio was on the blink, but when we hovered off the dock, Kimini (sp?) came running out and helped tie us up.

I had no problems checking in (and never have in the eight years we have gone to the Bahamas).

In my memory there was one year when the break point for the $300 / $150 split was lowered to 30 feet, and I was charged $300. I think it was the year before the election. I don't have the paperwork because I mail it all back to Nassau when we get home, so I am not sure about past charges.

www.irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.com
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't appear to be an "official" government site. I'd be more trusting of this one - Inward Declaration and Application for Cruising Permit - Customs Department - Government

It would be easy for the OP to call or email the Bahamas Customs Department HQ shown there.

Maybe it's only $150.00 for Canadians, since that's what BobH260 paid the past 2 years (Post #8).

Ralph
Ralph, not sure which Hunter 36 you own. Our 2003 Hunter 356 has the same hull as the 36s that were built for the next few years after that (as far as I know). Our 356 is specified by Hunter as being 34.5 ft long and that is the length used in our official documentation papers. And that is what I have to present when clearing into the Bahamas. I have not actually used a tape measure to measure the boat. What does your documentation indicate ?
Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 06:32   #22

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Roberttiger has it right! Been that way for years. Only difference now is that some officials are charging vat and others are not.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 07:43   #23
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

In a cash transaction, you figure that "VAT" tax on a tax ever actually makes it to the treasury in Nassau?
Old 31-05-2015, 08:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
In a cash transaction, you figure that "VAT" tax on a tax ever actually makes it to the treasury in Nassau?
In our case in the Bahamas we were given a computer printed receipt for the full amount we paid. The same procedure as when we paid for our cruising permit in the USA, that also had to be paid in cash. In the USA we had to have the exact amount, so had to leave the office go to a restaurant to break some bills.

Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 09:27   #25
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH260 View Post
Ralph, not sure which Hunter 36 you own. Our 2003 Hunter 356 has the same hull as the 36s that were built for the next few years after that (as far as I know). Our 356 is specified by Hunter as being 34.5 ft long and that is the length used in our official documentation papers. And that is what I have to present when clearing into the Bahamas. I have not actually used a tape measure to measure the boat. What does your documentation indicate ?
Bob
Our vessel is titled, and says 36'. Hunter says 35' 11 inches. HunterOwners.com

Ok, so some folks have paid $150.00 to check in under 35', others $300.00. Conflicting results make this thread less than helpful. I just sent an email to Bahamas Customs. We'll see if I get a speedy answer, and I'll share the results.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:16   #26

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:
About the same percentage as any cash payment in the Bahamas. If you do not get a receipt or get a hand written one, what is your guess!?
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:33   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Ok, so some folks have paid $150.00 to check in under 35', others $300.00.
Checked in to the Bahamas 23 times of which 25 in Bimini, the other times in North Cat Cay.
The first few years we paid $30-$40, then they raised it to $150 at less than 35' and $300 over.
People started howling over the fees so they changed the law once again:
Come back for free within 90 days and get another cruising permit.
(Perfect for us part-timers who only stay for 1 to 4 weeks.)
Normally we get a receipt, but no big deal as long as I have the cruising permit, not their moral watch dog.
Been using the Free-Bie a few times, it worked, no problems.

The last time we sailed to Bimini, January 2013 the fee was all of a sudden $300. I protested, called it a possible error or misunderstanding, but they would not budge. Found some ATM machine and got more cash.
Later I found out the fee was down again or there was an election or some such thing.
Was told by the Bahamians at the Fort Lauderdale In't Boat Show I would get a refund next time in the Bahamas, or contact Nassau or something.
I gave it a half hearted try, never got anywhere and just kissed the lost money good bye.

Overall, it has been worth every penny to sail in the Bahamian waters and would do it again in a heartbeat, even for bumming around a few Bimini anchorages for 4-5 days. The crystal clear waters and the beaches can't be matched anywhere, specially not in my Home Town Fort Lauderdale with the crowds, the traffic and all the restrictions on the beach; Don't bring beer, don't skinny dip, etc.
Old 31-05-2015, 12:02   #28
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

Overall, it has been worth every penny to sail in the Bahamian waters and would do it again in a heartbeat, even for bumming around a few Bimini anchorages for 4-5 days. The crystal clear waters and the beaches can't be matched anywhere, specially not in my Home Town Fort Lauderdale with the crowds, the traffic and all the restrictions on the beach; Don't bring beer, don't skinny dip, etc.
I agree with you completely. Too bad you sold your CSY. I used to drool over this photo of yours. She was sweeeeet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=CSY.jpg Views: 238 Size: 310.3 KB ID: 102988" style="margin: 2px" />

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 12:05   #29

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

How can there be 'value added' to a governent fee?
(not that I doubt they can/will charge it)

Quote:
Old 31-05-2015, 12:16   #30
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. I agree with you completely. Too bad you sold your CSY. I used to drool over this photo of yours. She was sweeeeet!
Ha, that was the picture taken in the middle of hurricane Wilma in 2005.
110-120 knots wind, no damage..

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit