Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 16:29   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Car Insurance for Cruisers

Hi,

We don't have cars anymore and you can't seem to get car insurance without being a homeowner, a landlord, or own a car.

I'm a little bit freaked out by not having car insurance when we use courtesy cars and the like. What do you guys do?

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 16:37   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Car Insurance for Cruisers

We have a non-owners policy through USAA.
Old 06-01-2014, 16:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Hi,

We don't have cars anymore and you can't seem to get car insurance without being a homeowner, a landlord, or own a car.

I'm a little bit freaked out by not having car insurance when we use courtesy cars and the like. What do you guys do?

- z
Courtesy carz? I would be surprised if a supplier of gratis cars was uninsured. Do you have a legal license? Do you have a mail forward address? Problem solved. - Otherwise get a bicycle
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 16:48   #4

In San Diego I use car2go which comes with its own insurance. Otherwise I'm using a rental which has its own. If I borrow someone's car their insurance will cover someone the owner lets borrow the vehicle.

If you're borrowing your buddy's car with insurance that doesn't extend to you I suppose you'd be uncovered at that point.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:29   #5

I'm more concerned about personal liability in connection with the car. For the most part insurance through someone else's insurance or through visa only covers the car not the occupants or liability if you were somehow at fault.

I'm mostly concerned about here in the US rather than non-US... Mostly because you can guarantee a lawsuit or insurance claim if you are involved in anything more than a scratch.
Old 07-01-2014, 15:24   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'm more concerned about personal liability in connection with the car. For the most part insurance through someone else's insurance or through visa only covers the car not the occupants or liability if you were somehow at fault.

I'm mostly concerned about here in the US rather than non-US... Mostly because you can guarantee a lawsuit or insurance claim if you are involved in anything more than a scratch.
Believe you me , it's the same most everywhere too

Dave
Old 07-01-2014, 16:09   #7

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I also used USAA non-owners insurance during the period I did not own a car. It was pretty inexpensive ($10/mo IIRC). I took the insurance primarily to protect friends and family who let me drive their cars during that period, and also provide personal liability insurance when driving other vehicles.
Also I don't believe that insurance would have done me any good in Europe. In the few times I rented a car in Portugal or Spain I took the full insurance offered by the rental company.
In order to get insurance from USAA you used to have to be an active duty member of the US Armed Forces or honorable discharged/retired from service. I think the member ship rules may not be so restrictive anymore, so if you need the insurance, contact USAA and find out if you qualify. There have been several threads on this subject over the past few years, and the only company cited by posters offering this type of coverage that I remember was USAA.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 16:40   #8

a realted thought: When you go cruising, put your insurance in suspension... costs maybe $20 a year. So.... you're not covered , but on the books as an insured person. That way when you return, you will not be dumped into the category of "formerly uninsured" along with the 16 year olds, DUI's etc... and high premiums!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 18:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I also used USAA non-owners insurance during the period I did not own a car. It was pretty inexpensive ($10/mo IIRC). I took the insurance primarily to protect friends and family who let me drive their cars during that period, and also provide personal liability insurance when driving other vehicles.
Also I don't believe that insurance would have done me any good in Europe. In the few times I rented a car in Portugal or Spain I took the full insurance offered by the rental company.
In order to get insurance from USAA you used to have to be an active duty member of the US Armed Forces or honorable discharged/retired from service. I think the member ship rules may not be so restrictive anymore, so if you need the insurance, contact USAA and find out if you qualify. There have been several threads on this subject over the past few years, and the only company cited by posters offering this type of coverage that I remember was USAA.

John
We are already USAA members... didn't know they offered this, so we are going to give them a call tomorrow! Thanks!

Tags
cruise, cruiser, insurance