Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 16:20   #1

Canadian and American buying a boat in US

Hi all,

I am a Canadian and my partner is American and we plan to buy a boat in the US to cruise for a year or two either to Mexico or Caribbean (obviously depending on where/when we purchase).

My question is whether it would be preferable to purchase the boat as an American or Canadian? I'm assuming purchasing and registering as American would be the best route but I could be wrong which is why I'm asking you guys!

Thanks
sarahjh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 16:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

6 one way, half dozen the next...
Old 14-05-2013, 16:32   #3

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30
Re: Canadian and American buying a boat in US

If the boat is here, just title and document it in your partners name. My wife and I are the same- we live here, I am Canadian, and rather than go through any un needed hoops- she owns the boat, and it is a US boat. As far as when we leave, really don't think it'll make much difference at all. She'll be the Captain, and have to check us in, etc..
We thought about documenting it in Canada, but I could imagine the hassles of coming and going from our home port for example, and forget that.....I couldn't imagine trying to explain that to the marine police for example... after some of the conversations with government people over us and our kids over the years (born in Canada to an American mother- makes them dual)
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 20:50   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

The problems comes if you cruise into Mexico or other foreign ports and something happens to your partner. You may not be able to leave the country with the boat legally. This would apply to either of you registering the boat in one name in either the US or Canada.

The other consideration is where you are going to sail. The advantage to a Canadian registered boat is that you can legally sail into Cuba. The advantage to an American registered boat is you don't need a cruising permit in the US. Beyond those differences I haven't seen any advantage between USA and Canadian Documentation while cruising

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 21:34   #5

If you're a Canadian boat coming down through the states, it'll be a complete hassle checking in with the "authorities" on a regular basis. Avoid the nonsense.

Othe r?, where are you going to keep it when you return, and where did you buy it? An American boat going back to Canada will incur VAT.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 08:55   #6

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
sarahjh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 17:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
The problems comes if you cruise into Mexico or other foreign ports and something happens to your partner. You may not be able to leave the country with the boat legally. This would apply to either of you registering the boat in one name in either the US or Canada.

The other consideration is where you are going to sail. The advantage to a Canadian registered boat is that you can legally sail into Cuba. The advantage to an American registered boat is you don't need a cruising permit in the US. Beyond those differences I haven't seen any advantage between USA and Canadian Documentation while cruising

Plenty of US flagged boats go to Cuba... I just moved one today, and the owners have just returned from Cuba. they obviously stopped in the Bahamas on the return trip.

In term of who's name is on the documentation... It really doesn't matter... I have never been asked for care and custody papers when moving a boat outside of the United States or back into the United States...

One thing I would strongly urge is to never bring the boat back to Canada if you flag it Canadian... The import duties are killer...

Tags
buying