Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 14:18   #91
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Borrowing Stuff Without Permission

Jim, bullets are expensive. And following Texas law, you can hang a man for horse stealing, but you'd probably have a hard time convincing a judge that a dingy was a horse. Or possibly not.

I'd be reluctant to grab a dinghy but if it came down to that, I'd make sure to apologize to the owner and offer to take them out to a good dinner, or buy them a good bottle of recreational beverage. Cheaper than buying a new dingy, might make a new friend, and pretty much tends to sooth ruffled feathers.

Stealing a dinghy is still stealing a dinghy, even, as the Mad Hatter said, if it was "the best of butter" so to speak.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 14:28   #92

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Borrow the one that looks well used, it's owner will probably be the most understanding.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 17:19   #93

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I would be happy to have helped you out. In my world we would call it borrowing not stealing not unauthorized use.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 18:17   #94

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I can but wonder if any of the "no way take my dinghy" responders are folks who are actually long term cruisers...ones who sail far from home and in remote areas?

My guess is not very many of them, for doing this tends to soften the edges of what is reasonable behavior with respect to fellow sailors/cruisers.

Jim
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I can but wonder if any of the "no way take my dinghy" responders are folks who are actually long term cruisers...ones who sail far from home and in remote areas?

My guess is not very many of them, for doing this tends to soften the edges of what is reasonable behavior with respect to fellow sailors/cruisers.

Jim
I think you nailed it.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:26   #96

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I must admit I am a bit (pleasantly) surprised to find out I was wrong when I assumed people would borrow a stranger's tender without asking in the situation given.
If anyone is nearby to ask; I would ask for help. But I would not wait long or look far before using a neighbor's dingy to retrieve a drifting dingy. And I would expect any other sailor to use my dingy in the same situation.

The main thing is to return the commandeered dingy in the same or better condition than when "borrowed". This means, bailed dry, no sand or debris on the seats or motor, and tied securely to the dingy dock where it was.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:34   #97

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post
I would be happy to have helped you out. In my world we would call it borrowing not stealing not unauthorized use.

As Cadence mentioned; if there is a choice, go for a well-used dingy and not a pristine one.

I agree that any experienced sailor will be happy to know her/his dingy was available to help another sailor. Just return it in good condition.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:45   #98

Knowing how crazy some people are, I probably would try really hard to find a way not to borrow a dinghy without permission. But, I wouldn’t get upset if someone borrowed mine for a short period in that type of situation.
Old 06-11-2018, 18:27   #99

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I agree that any experienced sailor will be happy to know her/his dingy was available to help another sailor. Just return it in good condition.
And that's the issue;
I'd be happy for an experienced cruiser to borrow my dinghy - and have regularly lent stuff of value on a handshake.

But when I come back to where my dinghy was left, how do I know whether it was borrowed by another cruiser, or by some yobbo kid?
Likewise, if I was to borrow someone's dinghy without asking, how do they know that it's been borrowed by me, rather than stolen?

So it's all location and situation specific.

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOI View Post
And that's the issue;
I'd be happy for an experienced cruiser to borrow my dinghy - and have regularly lent stuff of value on a handshake.

But when I come back to where my dinghy was left, how do I know whether it was borrowed by another cruiser, or by some yobbo kid?
Likewise, if I was to borrow someone's dinghy without asking, how do they know that it's been borrowed by me, rather than stolen?

So it's all location and situation specific.

Mike
I'm guessing the OP's situation was within eye site, so no big deal.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:38   #101

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm guessing the OP's situation was within eye site, so no big deal.
Right. We're talking about a quick retrieval here, not commandeering someone's dinghy and motoring off to initiate a wide-area search-and-rescue mission.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50   #102

Boat: Privilege 37

I secured to piles in Yarmouth Harbour a couple of decades ago (Isle of Wight) and went with my family by dinghy to shore for a pub meal. Came back to discover that the dinghy had moved. I thought some kind person had thoughtfully moved it to an easier spot to get back into it - that is until I started the outboard and discovered that the shear pin had done its job protecting the prop, but I would have to row back to the boat.

I could live with someone borrowing it in an emergency.

I am less impressed by someone borrowing because they needed extra ferry capacity or were unwilling to wait for a boat taxi.
I am even less impressed when it is borrowed (presumably for option 2 above) and then returned damaged without even a sorry!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:16   #103

Boat: Columbia 36

Just do it and put it back when you’re done. If someone gets angry just ask for their forgiveness. Humble as she goes captain!
Salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:23   #104

Borrowing another's dinghy (mine included) is OK provided it is promptly replaced where you found it and there is no damage, and it is stowed exactly as it was found as quickly as possible.

Some reasonable reasons for "borrowing" a dinghy unauthorized are:
- Trying to access your boat moored offshore
- Trying to save a vessel (yours, theirs or someone else's)

As for other hardware, it is uncouth to borrow without stealing, but sometimes the ends justify the means. I have started a neighbor's generator (left out in the open) to give my phone enough charge to hail a taxi, and I replaced any gasoline used. The owner wasn't happy about it, but when I admitted to using his generator and explained that I replenished the fuel he wasn't angry either. I'm guessing another neighbor had been using it quite a bit and the gas was largely depleted, not of my doing. The telltale extension cable to his boat was evidence enough.

Sometimes it is difficult to contact the owner to ask, this is why I leave my phone numbers clearly visible on my boat. While I wouldn't exactly be cool with someone taking my 7 ton 27 foot sailboat for a joyride, I might be amenable to them borrowing a few chugs of gasoline to get their engine running (nearest fuel bar is about 45 minutes away). Ditto for my dinghy. If they were looking to get to the dock (a floating abandoned fish farm) and put it back as found, I wouldn't be upset. If they put it on their truck and took it home on the other hand, I would be marvellously upset.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32   #105

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

How about going aboard someone's boat without permission? I once had a 30 something sailboat come slowly drifting through an anchorage in the San Juan Islands. I took a chance and 'rowed' over, got aboard, and let out about 50' more feet of rode, which stopped the boat in its tracks. I explained the situation to the skipper later when he came back. Frankly, I think he was happy I did what I did, but it sure felt uncomfortable at the time.....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote