Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 20:13   #1

Boat Insurance

I recently read that it is becomming difficult to get boat insurance for a solo cruser, or a long trip cruser. Is this true?

Viking Blood
viking blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 06:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
I recently read that it is becomming difficult to get boat insurance for a solo cruser, or a long trip cruser. Is this true?
All reputable insurance companies have limits on sailing solo. The main reason is that if you go on a long offshore passage, you will have to sleep sometime, so no-one will be on watch. Some examples of solo-sailing limits I have seen include:

~ Excluding coverage for continuous trips that last over 24 hours
~ Not allowing single-handing at night
~ Seaworthiness clause. Maritime courts have agreed that seaworthiness applies not only to the actual condition of the vessel, but also to having an adequate number of crew on board for the passage planned.

But if you want to island hop, have a good sailing resume, and an insurable boat, you should be able to get coverage.
Old 14-06-2009, 07:37   #3

Insurance

Yes, Island hop and icw is all I am looking to sail. Is the Iwc considered a continous trip? Also I am concerned about my expirence level; little and was going to sail 2yrs on the iwc to get my expirence. Any suggestions as to how I can increase my resume. I would like to be sailing a 30-34 ft boat with some age say 1985 and do beleive I could get insurance for that. Thanks for input.

Viking Blood
Old 14-06-2009, 08:52   #4

Sailing Resume....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
All reputable insurance companies have limits on sailing solo. The main reason is that if you go on a long offshore passage, you will have to sleep sometime, so no-one will be on watch. Some examples of solo-sailing limits I have seen include:

~ Excluding coverage for continuous trips that last over 24 hours
~ Not allowing single-handing at night
~ Seaworthiness clause. Maritime courts have agreed that seaworthiness applies not only to the actual condition of the vessel, but also to having an adequate number of crew on board for the passage planned.

But if you want to island hop, have a good sailing resume, and an insurable boat, you should be able to get coverage.
This might be better answered in its own thread, but I'll leave that up to you. On the "sailing resume" that you noted, could you explain what all that pertains to? I'm guessing that despite the title, it actually includes all sorts of documentation demonstrating one's ability such as types of boats owned, training classes from Coast Guard Auxillary and Power Squadrons and private instruction schools, etc? And, rather than carrying such documentation in its original form at sea, would photo copies suffice?
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the ICW you stop every night and anchor, so it's not a continuous trip, in the sense of trying to stay awake for long periods of time. There are many good anchorages to choose from along the way. (Get a copy of Skipper Bob's "anchorages along the ICW" for help with that). When we sailed the ICW, we planned on traveling 30-60 miles each day.

Insurance companies look at the overall # of years you have been boating, what boats you have owned previously, and what boats you have operated (and where), including crewing for friends and charters. So if you're light on experience, you might offer to volunteer as crew for an owner looking for crew, especially multiple day delivery trips. Keep a log of all your time on the water and turn that in when you're to apply for insurance. In addition to helping you with qualifying for insurance, you should learn invaluable lessons from the the captains you sail with. "Crew listings" sections can be found on 7-knots, SSCA, and your very own Cruisers Forum.
Old 14-06-2009, 09:04   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On the "sailing resume" that you noted, could you explain what all that pertains to?
You've got the right idea. All you need is a simple word document that contains all the relevant boating experience you've had. You can create your own format, or use what I've copied from my standard boating resume template below:

Name:
Date of Birth:
Address:

Boats owned (include dates, length & model):

Boats operated (model & length): Also include actual time of operation - where and when and for how long? Were you skipper or crew, bareboat charter or other, type and size of boat, dates sailed, where sailed?

Bluewater Experience: Have you crossed any Oceans? (If so, please provide details):

Significant Passages (places, length of time at sea, year):

Charters (dates, location, vessel):

Training (ASA, Colgate, Captain’s courses, etc.) :

Do you have your captain's license? (provide details, including expiration):

Have you had any marine related losses/insurance claims/accidents in the last 5 years?

Have you had any automobile accidents or violations in the last 5 years?

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

Other relevant information (airplane Pilot's license, CPR training, etc.):
Old 14-06-2009, 19:04   #7

Tabbycat

Thanks for your input. That was the type of input I was looking for. I do hold a science and math degree so I can say I can learn if I really want to. I have explored some and am trying to sign up for the ASA 101,103, than 105 and certification courses. Than I plan to hook up with a sailing school and pratice for a year or two; than maybe I will be ready for a IWC passage. Durring this traning period I wish to learn celestrial navagation. I am go on a 6 day 65ft sailing scuba trip in the Bahamas in November and will see how I respond. This is in its early dream stage and who knows I may be dead before it all come about. signed an Aquarian....lol Thanks again
Old 15-06-2009, 08:25   #8

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
I understand the theory behind insurance restrictions on solo sailors but does actual (real) data support this. What percentage of solo sailors file claims versus the percentage of crewed boats that file claims? Does anyone know where I can find that data (GordMay)?
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 08:36   #9

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
I understand the theory behind insurance restrictions on solo sailors but does actual (real) data support this. What percentage of solo sailors file claims versus the percentage of crewed boats that file claims? Does anyone know where I can find that data (GordMay)?
jim
I'm not sure 'filed claims' is a good measure. Many (most) of the singled-handed cruisers who are go offshore are uninsured, at least for the passage.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 06:48   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
For the sake of the exercise, you might contace Al or Gary Golden at IMIS Home Page . AL is an experienced cruiser and a marine insurance expert.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote