Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2007, 11:54   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
New boat registration and insurance


I have recently been travelling through the south of France and east Spain looking at boats. I think very soon I will be purchasing a catamaran. I am a Canadian citizen and I am wondering what my best option would be for registering and insuring a used boat. Whatever boat I get will have some other countries registration already on it. I am new to this aspect of cruising and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 14:18   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Caribbean
Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Posts: 303
Don't take our word for it.

Contact the closest Canadian Embassy and ask them. They will ask the pertinent questions, such as where will you be keeping the boat, to help you decide what you need to do. Alternatively, they should direct you to the appropriate agency within Canada.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 15:51   #3
Registered User
Vasco's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Posts: 7,557
If you wish you can register the boat as a Canadian vessel. Relatively easy process. If it's under 40 feet you don't even require a tonnage survey. Check details at Dept. of Transport website
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 17:54   #4
Marine Service Provider
TabbyCat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: still cruising after 15 years
Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Posts: 529
Images: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
boat registration

From an insurance perspective, where the boat is registered is not important. Insurance companies care about Navigation Territory (where you are going to use the boat), your "regular mooring address", and what your mailing address is. To that end, having a mailing address in the USA (even if it's just a mail forwarding company, like Voyager mail forwarding) will allow you to get insurance through an American company. European Insurers will be fine with a Canadian, US, or European address.

I work with both European and US marine insurance companies, so when you're ready for a quote on insurance, send me an off-line message. Best of luck finding your dream boat,
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dink registration in the US...? CSY Man Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 21 11-08-2007 10:59

Advertise Here

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.