Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2007, 01:24   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeehaa I got me a mast.

For those that have been around here awhile, you may (or still maynot) know that I needed a new mast for my boat. It's been in the pipeline for a long time and was most likely going to remain in there for at least another 12mths.
Well today I dun bought me a mast.
It was listed on Trademe which is a NZ version of Ebay. A brand spanking new Seldon mast of 17m(56ft)which had been damaged in transit. It had a dent at the no.2 spreader 13m(42ft) up. I only need 50ft. Plus the dent looks easily repairable and if it does mean a weak point remains, that area will be sleaved anyway as the fixing points for the spreaders need to be covered and new spreaders fixed at a new position.
I paid a grand total of NZ$1200 for it. Hey "another day older and deeper in debt". A lot cheaper than the NZ$4500 it was going to cost for a new extrusion. I just have to find away of freighting it from Auckland across the ditch to here now. That will be interesting.
I will spend the winter getting it ready to go and get it stepped toward the end of the year.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 01:50   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Why not sail down there and haul it back.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 11:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmmmm, can't argue with that one. Except, I still haven't worked out where the edge of the world is yet. It maybe just out there. ;-) I guess it would be about a four day trip up and four back. And I am sure I have to go out past the Dragons somewhere ;-)

Old 30-03-2007, 11:55   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations Wheels!! I don't know what the NZ1200 is in USDs but it sounds like a bargain regardless.
Now to just get it and put it together!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 12:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About US$850'ish at the mo. Our dollar is sky rocketing. Makes it good if you are importing, but bad exporting.

Old 30-03-2007, 13:58   #6

I didn't know they had dragon's down by NZ. I thought they were all up around Asia. Must be that global warming thing again.
Old 30-03-2007, 15:33   #7

Hey wheels,how about a helicopter.Front door,same day delivery.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 00:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well either you pay or you fly, cause I can't afford to do either. Those wirly birds are expensive.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:00   #9
Kai Nui

Wheels, great news! I was also going to suggest the sial over and grab it approach, but 4 days with the mast on deck might be a bit uncomfortable. Guess we all know what your winter project will be
Old 09-04-2007, 13:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Gone are the days when you just walked out in the woods and looked for a nice straight one...
Old 09-04-2007, 14:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S.
Gone are the days when you just walked out in the woods and looked for a nice straight one...
Not really. Years ago I flew into Belize to surprise a friend of mine who lived on Caye Caulker. When I asked," where's Bobby?" I was told he went to get a new mast. I had visions of him getting a mast like I would in the US. Next day he comes into view with a long pine tree strapped to his deck. For the next few days we planed, sawed, drilled, and chisled out his new mast. His boat being a native 30 footer gaffed rigger it wasn't too tall, so we stepped it ourselves with the help of a few hands. I was totally impressed with the ability to obtain a new mast anywhere a straight tree was available. His boat like every other boat I saw and the houses were 100% Belize mahogany painted bright vivid colors.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:15   #12

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Wheels - is there a small cargo ship, tug or commercial fishing boat that may pick it up for you in NZ and haul back on their deck to OZ at a reasonable price if they are planning to be in that port in NZ anyway? Maybe put out an ad in the fishermans news or shipping news.
Old 09-04-2007, 17:43   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Benny, I AM in NZ. Just 800miles away from Auckland is all. I have just talked to a transport company and the longest they can road freight is 16m. The mast is 17m. I need a bit over 15m so I could get 1.5m cut off the end I suppose. But then they hit me with the shock part. It could cost $1200 or more to get it here. I neede to sit down for that but found I was already sitting, so that didn't help. So I am looking at other avenues. Maybe a trip to Auckland maybe the only way. But this time of the year, we get preiods of flat calm followed by big southerly nasty fronts. Southern ocean stuff. Then back to flat calm again. Makes very frustrating sailing followed by short intalludes of shear terror. :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 18:48   #14
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Try Sanford or one of the other mussel companies and see if they've got any of their boats heading South. MacLab mussels could be a good option also. Get a Sanford contact up in Coromandel and get them to keep an ear to the ground.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 19:01   #15

What I did with my 17 foot boom was strap it to my once owned runabout and towed it to the sailboat.
Do you know anyone with a pole trailer like what they use for telephone poles maybe they could strap it along side if heading your way.

Also, if you have a craigslist or local ebay you could put in an ad for the situation???? We have an ebay here for trucking here Let Household Moving Companies bid on Your Household Move!
it would be nice to have something that in NZ........................._/)

Tags
mast