Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 14:27   #1

Boat: Albin 32+2 CB - RELAX'N
Yanmar Raw Water Pump Rebuild in Ft. Lauderdale

I need a recommendation of where to take a couple of Yanmar raw water pumps to have them rebuilt.
Thanks,
Doug
Dougfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:03   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
This is one of the earlier things to go on a yanmar. I had mine develop a leak on a long cruise, and I looked into buying the parts for a rebuild. On my (Approx 1,500 hour) 2 GM 20 F, I was advised by a Yanmar rep. to replace the entire pump. The seals are cheep, but the shaft would also have been worn at the seal location. The shaft cost almost as much as the whole assembly, so complete replacement makes the most sense. (Unless your engine is quite new)

Good luck, Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:21   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Raw water pump seals

On our Catalina 380 we had a Yanmar 40hp model 3JH3BE diesel .
Had a leak on the Raw Sea water pump seals after 650 hours.
Purchased all the seal kits for $100 and then took the pump off and tried to put all the seal in only to fine I still needed another seal plate.
How much is a new pump I finally asked, oh $250.
Will you take back the seal kit, yes, Ok order the new pump for me.
I am very mechanically inclined and found rebuilding these pumps to be a night mare.
Just now worth the time and effort.
Go for a new pump.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
depcopump.com is an excellent resource. they are in florida
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:15   #5

there's only one place to get the service you need... Complete Yacht behind Lester's Diner in Fort Lauderdale. They'll let you know if you should rebuild or replace and they might do it for you while you wait. They did 2 (spares) for me while I watched. I paid for parts and half hour labour. Ask for Rob and you won't be disappointed.
Roc Chambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:06   #6

Boat: Beneteau 36CC- Kokoi
I have a Yanmar 3GM30F. In my opinion it is not worth rebuilding the pump. I called a local dealer to get a price and have them order we a complete new water pump, which they did. I want to say it was around $289.00, but I am not sure. So I got digging around online to get better prices and came across someone saying that the parts for the European models were the same in most instances. I went back to my local dealer to take a look and have one ordered. Come to find out it was the exact same pump, just comes with an extra bracket for mounting, not connected to the pump. Cost of the euro model, with all the same numbers and make, etc. on the pump $175.00 I will try and find the paperwork on this and get back with you. Just something to look at. The rebuild is more than the pump I bought brand new. Also the shaft is a absolute nightmare to replace the bearing in.
Captain Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:13   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I don't think it makes sense to rebuild either, including impeller replacement. I've never had an impeller go bad, but I've had a couple of pumps with leaking seals, and a frozen bearing. This is on 2 engines, 10 years each.

I just make sure the pumps don't run dry, and replace at first sign of trouble.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:19   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

Not being a Yanmar owner I am somewhat shocked by this discussion! Are the pumps in question made by Yanmar, or are they Johnson or other standard pumps as used by many engine manufacturers?

We've rebuilt several Johnson pumps for our engines (BMW and Nanni) and have found it to be simple, with no special tools required. Seals and bearings sourced from general land-based supply houses, seals around 2$ ea, bearings less than 10$. If the shaft is excessively worn, they can supply things called "Speedi-sleeve" These are a very thin sleeve that slips over the worn area and which extend the life of the rather expensive shaft indefinitely.

If in fact the Yanmar pumps are not usefully rebuildable, I'd personally look to another engine manufacturer... this attitude in an OEM really turns me off.

Cheers,
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point NSW Oz
Old 16-12-2010, 04:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Chambeau View Post
there's only one place to get the service you need... Complete Yacht behind Lester's Diner in Fort Lauderdale...
Complete Yacht Service Inc. (Yanmar & Perkins)
200 SW 33rd Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
sales@completeyachtservice.com
parts@completeyachtservice.com
service@completeyachtservice.com
Phone: 1-954-462-6977
Fax: 1-954-524-0261

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:13   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
These are Johnson pumps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

Not being a Yanmar owner I am somewhat shocked by this discussion! Are the pumps in question made by Yanmar, or are they Johnson or other standard pumps as used by many engine manufacturers?

We've rebuilt several Johnson pumps for our engines (BMW and Nanni) and have found it to be simple, with no special tools required. Seals and bearings sourced from general land-based supply houses, seals around 2$ ea, bearings less than 10$. If the shaft is excessively worn, they can supply things called "Speedi-sleeve" These are a very thin sleeve that slips over the worn area and which extend the life of the rather expensive shaft indefinitely.

If in fact the Yanmar pumps are not usefully rebuildable, I'd personally look to another engine manufacturer... this attitude in an OEM really turns me off.

Cheers,
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 08:30   #11

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peppers View Post
Come to find out it was the exact same pump, just comes with an extra bracket for mounting, not connected to the pump. Cost of the euro model, with all the same numbers and make, etc. on the pump $175.00
I guess that explains why my Japanese 2GM20F has a Euro model pump.

On mine the impellors are different though, (which came as a rude surprise ), so they can't be the exact same pump, just compatible.

Japanese version impellor: 124223-42092
European version impellor: 128990-42200
Old 16-12-2010, 14:46   #12

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

Cheers,
As Ram said, these are Johnson pumps.

How often are you rebuilding these pumps and how big an engine?

I'm encouraged that you are successful, but if Captain Pepper can put me onto a less expensive but equivalent pump, I think that would be hard to beat.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:00   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
As Ram said, these are Johnson pumps.

How often are you rebuilding these pumps and how big an engine?

I'm encouraged that you are successful, but if Captain Pepper can put me onto a less expensive but equivalent pump, I think that would be hard to beat.
G'Day again,

How often? The BMW (D-35, 2 cyl 35 hp 1983 build) had over 6K hours on it when we sold the boat, and I had replaced bearings and seals twice. The Nanni (Kubota based 43 hp 4 cyl 1989 build) has on the order of 3500 hours and I have replaced the seals twice and the bearings once (quite recently).

If you can come up with a cheaper pump, buying one and then rebuilding the current one to keep as a spare makes some sense to me.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
raw water, raw water pump, rebuild, yanmar